• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lower lip vs lower teeth placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many inches of lower lip is above the teeth when playing a high C?
None, my lower lip top is right at the top of my teeth
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
1/16" (1.5mm)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1/8" (3mm)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
3/16" (4.5mm)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1/4" (6mm)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Don't know, don't care
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Quit thinking and get playing, dude
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Lower lip vs lower teeth placement Reply with quote

In a lesson not too long ago I mentioned to my teacher that I have about 1/4" of my lower lip extending above my lower teeth tops on higher notes. He thought that was way out of line and the lower lip should be more like the position when you are free buzzing higher notes -- maybe 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch flapping above the teeth. I have never seen this aspect mentioned before so I thought I'd bring it up and include a poll just for fun.

For the poll I say downstream only, for upstream players it would probably be how much top lip is hanging down from the top teeth tips. Also, since the jaw is moving down for lower notes you should be exposing more lip as the lips are pinned to the rim so are not moving when the jaw moves. For that reason the poll question is for a high C (not double high C, just high C).
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's overlap but it seems that accurately measuring it would require a fiber optic camera setup inside the mouth.

I think the person who voted that their lower lip doesn't overlap their teeth is mistaken, though I reserve the right to be proven wrong.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. or an X-ray or similar. If you hold the embouchure and then feel with the tongue you can get a rough idea of what it is at least.

More poll answers would be appreciated, just give it a good guess based on the feel with the tongue. I have been trying to reduce the overlap but after some point I don't think its helpful at all, and I expect my teacher may not in fact be aware of how much lip is hanging over the teeth on higher notes. Still, going from 1/4" to more like 1/8" seems to have been beneficial for me. Its similar with the gap between the teeth on the high notes, it definitely helps to be closing the jaw down to maybe 1/4" between top and bottom teeth on the higher notes, so its an important aspect of good high note playing, but at some point it starts to backfire when the teeth get too close together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: