• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lung capacity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Lung capacity Reply with quote

Can lung capacity be increased? As I’m getting older I’m running out of air sooner than when I was younger. .
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to want to check out Arnold Jacobs.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but you don't need to increase the actual capacity, just work harder to maintain the air control and breath support you have (had). Any form of exercise is harder as we age so we have to work harder to keep what we had. At least that has been my experience; at 58, I can still do most of the stuff I did at 40, but it is harder and I need to practice more to keep it as easy as possible.

HTH -Don
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
No but you don't need to increase the actual capacity, just work harder to maintain the air control and breath support you have (had). Any form of exercise is harder as we age so we have to work harder to keep what we had. At least that has been my experience; at 58, I can still do most of the stuff I did at 40, but it is harder and I need to practice more to keep it as easy as possible.

HTH -Don

I agree. I also played on more open equipment when I was younger. I have become a little smarter with age though. Not much smarter, but...

Pete
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother used to say "Age doesn't always bring wisdom; sometimes, it just turns young fools into old fools." Usually when grandfather did something "questionable"...
freud311
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!! I went from 3.9 lts to 6 in about 8 months. I had pollen alergy that caused me a very bad asthma situation every spring .
After I did a lot of exercise with a device caled breathbuilder I stopped all the asthma pills and medical treatment because of my increased capacity by 2 litters and the extreme breath power I aquired.
However I did an allergy treatment and I don't suffer with that anymore the last 7 years. All this with that breathing device started after a lesson with Frits Damrow where he showed me a similar device and told me that he had a lung capacity of 6 liters.
I was amazed because he is a small guy but his breath control is amazing!!! I am a small guy also a litle taller than Frits so knowing that my capacity was small I took the challenge and the improvement was amazing. I did breath exercises in the past before that but never really progress......
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax to breathe.

Breathe to relax.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lung capacity Reply with quote

trombino wrote:
Can lung capacity be increased? As I’m getting older I’m running out of air sooner than when I was younger. .

Lung capacity and, especially, useable lung capacity can be increased for healthy lungs (which aren’t already maxed out), for many diseased/impaired lungs, and for aging lungs.

As recommended, “get into” Jacobs (tools and toys) and, as recommended, learn how to best use the capacity that you’ve already got.

And, if you’re willing to work and relax – the Breathing Gym
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1278288

-Denny
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombino wrote:

Not much. But the more you (correctly) practice the more efficient you can become in regard to sound volume output per amount of air flow which will enable you to play longer passages on one breath.

The Claude Gordon breathing exercises will increase your lung capacity somewhat by increasing the flexibility of your breathing muscles and related connective tissue. They also help you develop the habit of always taking a full, relaxed breath which helps to increase how much one can play on one breath.

There are two versions, the basic version one should do for two weeks, and the walking version which should be done from then on. I will copy and paste my instructions for the basic version:

Preliminary Instructions:

Take a full, relaxed breath. Do not worry about where the air is going (i.e. “using the diaphragm”, “pushing the stomach out”, etc.). Air can only go to one place: your lungs! Just take a full comfortable breath. Don’t raise your shoulders, as you can’t get air into them. With a full breath, you should have a nice upright posture, with your chest up, like a soldier standing comfortably at attention – full and upright, but relaxed. Your arms should be hanging at your sides. Swing them back a little bit, as this will help you to get the feel of having your chest upright.

To check that you are staying relaxed, while full of air count out loud to 5: “1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5.” If you are relaxed, the words will come out without any hints of strain in your voice. This is very important, as one of the most important things we must do as brass players is to learn to be able to create tremendous amounts of air-power and muscular tension in the parts of the body directly involved with the physical production of sound, while at the same time be completely relaxed in all parts of our body that aren’t directly involved in the physical production of sound. If a champion weight lifter strains uninvolved parts of his body as he thrusts a heavy weight over his head, it doesn’t matter. But, if a trumpet player strains and raises for instance, the back (instead of the front) of his tongue to the roof of his mouth, in that feeling we perceive as a “choking off of the air” as he/she strains for a high note, nothing is going to come out of the bell.

Hopefully, you haven’t been holding your breath while reading the last 4 sentences! Back to breathing:

Take that full comfortable breath (again), count to 5 out loud while full of air, and then blow the air out in a relaxed manner, but DO NOT LET YOUR CHEST DROP. As you blow the air out, your abdomen will come in. As you start to run out of air, you will feel the muscles of your back and abdomen tighten. Resist the urge to let your chest drop. It might feel funny at first, but there are several benefits to be gained by maintaining a good upright posture when breathing (and playing). First off, note that if you let your chest drop as you run out of air, you won’t feel any tension in your lower back muscles as you blow all the air out. This is because by letting your chest drop and not having a proper upright posture, those back muscles are no longer as involved in the creation of air-power as they can be when you blow. Therefore, you would no longer be using all the muscles that are available to be used. Secondly, letting your chest drop can promote the creation of upper body tension, which can migrate up to your throat area, causing you to “choke off” the note or supply of air. This common feeling is actually caused by incorrectly raising the back of your tongue towards the back part of the roof of your mouth, or the top of your throat. Keeping your chest up at all times helps to eliminate this problem.

1) Preliminary Exercise:

Practice the following for 2 weeks daily:

Take in a full breath and blow it out, as described in the preceding section. Do this 10 times in a row (but stop if you feel dizzy or light headed). Do this exercise 5 to 10 times a day. 20 times per day would be even better. 10 breaths in and out, 5 to 10 times a day. After two weeks of this, move on to the Walking Breathing Exercises.

In two weeks I'll post the instructions for the Walking Breathing Exercises. If I forget, send me a reminder e-mail.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: