• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compare/contrast BE and TCE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working a lot lately with BE and find that I am ending up in much the same place embouchure-wise as when I am working with TCE.
Kyle, can you tic off the differences and similarities between these two approaches?
Thanks!
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

As I've never worked with BE, I really can't provide much info. From reading through Jeff's very well written book I can say that the pedal tones information is nearly identical to the way Jerry taught me and the same as Jerry presents in his Trumpet Yoga book. Jeff's exercises that carry the pedal embouchure up into higher registers are also very much like what Jerry did in Yoga. However, just as there aren't similarites in approach or techniques btw Yoga and TCE, I don't see any notable similarities btw BE and TCE. As these two methods are often talked about as if they are similar, I'm interested in seeing what others report. Best regards, Kyle
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason I am ending up in a similar embouchure is that I worked with SC before I did BE and so my tongue is just out front because that is where it wants to be no matter what!
While experimenting with TCE gave me a nice wide open Dbl A I am going to work with BE some more before continuing with TCE. Those screamin' high A's were under practice room conditions and not in a second-nature crank-one-when-ever-you-want-one situation like SC has been for me.
It all boils down to this. I got a double C....now I want a BIGGER one!
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

There are some interesting posts about this topic on Trumpetchops.com and also on the BE forum there is going a lot to be said about this I think.

I am working with BE for 1 1/2 year and so far so good. In september I had a clinic with Jerome Callet. Nothing what Jerry said at this clinic had anything to do with BE. He only talked about TCE.
BE is a development system to increase the range of motion of your lips in order to get a more efficient working embouchure. TCE CAN be a next step in the BE process. Notice the order: IMO BE comes first, TCE complements it. In order to benefit from TCE your lips already have to know what to do, or rather have to be able to do what TCE calls for: moving the lips towards the tongue. This gives you a very strong reference point for your tongue. Jerry said: the tongue sets up the lip, but if your lip is not trained to a certain automatism of centre compression ( gained through BE, or maybe SC for that matter) I think TCE can be tricky.

I had a Farkas embouchure two years ago, and I am very certain that if I had tried to do the heavy tonguing like in TCE it would have ruined my chops.

During the clinic I lost all control of my aperture and asked mr. Callet what to do. He said move the lips towards the tongue and spitbuzz. This was where I felt the two systems definitely meet. I knew how to move the lips towards my tongue already.
When doing the roll in exercises of BE the only way I can tongue them is TCE-wise.
My embouchure is still an inbetween thing, but it is going towards bunched chin, centre compression faster if I apply the TCE way of tonguing. In my all day playing I notice more power and direction in the use of my tongue. It does not really increase my range, but it makes attacking in the high register (high C and up. I lately recorded my first DHC, not yet great but more than I ever thought I could play on a daily basis !) easier, more powerfull and much securer.

Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: