• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RIP Roy Hargrove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: RIP Roy Hargrove Reply with quote

Just informed by a New York Colleague that Roy passed. Sad day.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was way too young to die.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad new. He was scheduled to be with Branford Marsalis last night at Symphony Center in Chicago.

https://twitter.com/search?q=roy+hargrove&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shock and a loss. Sad.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/03/663895387/roy-hargrove-grammy-winning-jazz-trumpeter-dies-at-49?preview=
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crazy, he was so young! I was such a fan, really a big loss for everyone.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just listening to some of his recordings last night wondering when we'd hear from him again. I didn't expect this but I heard a few years ago that he was battling a drug addiction that was accelerating his health problems. I saw him live with Cedar Walton at Lincoln Center 6 or 7 years ago and he looked emaciated, had a rough night playing and never said a word to the audience.

He was a great player loaded with talent and potential. It's a big loss.
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Roy Hargrove RIP Reply with quote

A very sad day!
After I had stopped playing the trumpet for 25 years, I was listening to a jazz radio station and heard Roy for the first time. What a beautiful musician! It was hearing Roy play that day that I wanted to pick up the trumpet again.
Since then, I have been checking the well known venues in my area (SF) where he had played before and would go see him play whenever he was in town.
I even drove down to L.A. from S.F the day he was playing to see him. Stayed for both sets. They were just incredible. I was really looking forward to seeing Roy again! A real loss for everybody! I am very sad!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one really hurts. I was an 8th grader when Roy was a Sr. here in Dallas. He was the first trumpet player that was a contemporary that I looked up to while I was still developing. He was extra special to me because he was a Dallas kid. One of us, if you will.
During my Senior year in HS, the drummer in our HS jazz band asked me if I wanted to go see him play. Came to find out that his mother was Roy's 5th grade teacher. So we went along with his mom and step-dad and Roy's music teacher from elementary school. After his first set, he came over and talked for a bit. I beat him down with gear questions, but he was a good sport about it. I could see the way his eyes lit up when he saw his teachers.
I know he had his issues and, quite frankly, he's always had something going on. Even in HS, he almost derailed his career before it started. However, he was such a talented cat, that he was able to will himself to a great career. I just wish he had been in better health to see it through.
He'll always be my #1 trumpet player and I'm glad that I got to meet and hear him live. It was great to see him grow over the years and turn out to be one of the all-time greats. He'll be missed. Thanks for the music, Roy. RIP.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
kfeldt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news. I really enjoyed Roy's playing.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Cause of Death Reply with quote

Most of the obit write-ups indicated that Mr. Hargrove had battled kidney disease for a very long time, and was on dialysis for several years. His heart attack was linked to his kidney problem. I did not hear or read anything about substance abuse problems.

I remember the first time I heard his playing when I was in high school. I remember saying to myself, "Wow, he is only *two* years older than I am and hear how easily he gets around the horn, how easily he runs through changes." At the time I still fancied the idea that I could still become a solid trumpet player even if I only pursued music as an amateur. And there was Roy Hargrove playing like he was a 20 year veteran.

RIP, sir.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatchmoGillespie wrote:
This one really hurts. I was an 8th grader when Roy was a Sr. here in Dallas.

I lived in Dallas '83-'93 and believe I first heard about him in the newspapers there, while he was at the arts magnet school? Am I remembering correctly? Is that the right time-frame?

-- Joe
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cause of Death Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
Most of the obit write-ups indicated that Mr. Hargrove had battled kidney disease for a very long time, and was on dialysis for several years. His heart attack was linked to his kidney problem. I did not hear or read anything about substance abuse problems.

I remember the first time I heard his playing when I was in high school. I remember saying to myself, "Wow, he is only *two* years older than I am and hear how easily he gets around the horn, how easily he runs through changes." At the time I still fancied the idea that I could still become a solid trumpet player even if I only pursued music as an amateur. And there was Roy Hargrove playing like he was a 20 year veteran.

RIP, sir.

In my Nursing School Clinicals I am often seeing and caring for patients with Chronic Kidney Disease and Renal Failure. Even with dialysis, what renal diseases do to the rest of the body over the long term can be a nightmare. We've lost a talented relatively young artist. At least he is at peace now, and his music will certainly live on. My condolences to his family and loved ones.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://nypost.com/2014/05/29/roy-hargrove-admits-to-cocaine-possession/

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/75682-roy-hargrove-in-trouble/

https://georgetownvoice.com/2015/04/13/roy-hargroves-shadow-live-at-a-shallow-dc-jazz-club/

https://www.reddit.com/r/trumpet/comments/7l6v3s/what_happened_to_roy_hargrove/

http://downbeat.com/news/detail/roy-hargrove-reported-dead

I assume Roy died from complications related to his kidney problems. That being said, drugs surely accelerated the process and seriously screwed him up. Drugs are a bitch. A week ago a good, longtime friend of mine who was an excellent trumpet player passed away at the age of 61. He let drugs, alcohol and cigarettes destroy his life in spite of the fact that his friends tried to intervene. I personally took him to alcohol rehab. The problem is that you can't supervise someone 24 hours per day forever and if someone wants drugs, alcohol and cigarettes enough they're going to find a way to get them.

It's such a tragedy. Roy Hargrove was one of my favorite players. He could express such great ideas on his horn.
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
SatchmoGillespie wrote:
This one really hurts. I was an 8th grader when Roy was a Sr. here in Dallas.

I lived in Dallas '83-'93 and believe I first heard about him in the newspapers there, while he was at the arts magnet school? Am I remembering correctly? Is that the right time-frame?

-- Joe

It would have been late 80s. He graduated from Arts in 88.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: