• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Bone wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Your symptoms are not due to the pistons being monel. It is more likely that the valves are poorly fitted or you need a different valve oil.

Yeah it might be. It's not a problem to me anyway, if I do that the horn works fine. I use it for practice and I just oil it during pauses.

Quite a few good horns use monel.

My instruments with monel can go weeks, although I oil them more frequently, without any issues.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Walter Bone wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
I’ve always thought their pro horns were good, and consistent. The student horns today, though, not so much, in my opinion. I have MANY students who rent them, the valves especially are usually not great. And that’s taking into consideration that kids never clean them, don’t oil nearly enough and are in general tough on instruments.

Brad

I have a 2330 made in china, being a beginner myself, and I find it a very well built horn. The thing about the valves is that they are made in monel, and they require frequent oiling. If you don't oil them say about every 20 minutes of playing, the become sticky and draggy. And clean the casing at least once a week. If you do this you'll have a smooth action.

Your symptoms are not due to the pistons being monel. It is more likely that the valves are poorly fitted or you need a different valve oil.

Thoroughly clean the horn or at least the valves (pistons + casings) and try the Yamaha synthetic valve oil. Start with the regular and if it's still fussy, try the "Vintage" weight. They're excellent oils. I oiled my Selmer Radial and a month later after sitting around it still worked fine.

(You should oil more regularly than that, I usually do, but I just picked it up and noticed that)

Don't use Al Cass, avoid miscellaneous store brand oil. Ultra Pure and Hetman are good as well. Oil is a bit personal, it has to get along with your chemistry and your horn, but I find Yamaha, Ultra Pure, and Hetman to be the best of the bunch by a long shot. One of those should do the trick.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Thoroughly clean the horn or at least the valves (pistons + casings) and try the Yamaha synthetic valve oil. Start with the regular and if it's still fussy, try the "Vintage" weight. They're excellent oils. I oiled my Selmer Radial and a month later after sitting around it still worked fine.

(You should oil more regularly than that, I usually do, but I just picked it up and noticed that)

Don't use Al Cass, avoid miscellaneous store brand oil. Ultra Pure and Hetman are good as well. Oil is a bit personal, it has to get along with your chemistry and your horn, but I find Yamaha, Ultra Pure, and Hetman to be the best of the bunch by a long shot. One of those should do the trick.

Very nice, you preceded me! I was going to ask some oil recommendation!
What I am using is Herco Pure Formula, since I can find it at the store near home.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Bone wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

What I am using is Herco Pure Formula, since I can find it at the store near home.

I use Hetmans myself. I used to use Al Cass, but I got tired of the valves seizing.

Many Chinese horns are reported to have looser valves, so a thicker oil, like the vintage recommended by CrazyFinn might be a good start.

Good luck.
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Walter Bone wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

I use Hetmans myself. I used to use Al Cass, but I got tired of the valves seizing.

Many Chinese horns are reported to have looser valves, so a thicker oil, like the vintage recommended by CrazyFinn might be a good start.

Good luck.

Did a quick experiment with a synthetic oil for sewing machines I had around, thicker than the herco, and it's already way better: 2 hours in and valves still smooth. Ordering a proper trumpet oil among the ones suggested, didn't think it would made such a difference!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: