• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Problem with tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouthpiecesafari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Problem with tongue Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in doing Caruso and I started the six notes and the seconds last week. I already noticed a little progress in range, but my problem now is that I don´t know what to do with my tongue
I often don´t get eigth or sixteenth notes because I don´t know how to tongue them properly.
Is it just a problem that solve by itself by going on doing the Caruso exercises or did Caruso taught a specific tongue attack that you have to use all the time?
Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

Edit: I also feel like my tongue is blocking the throat and I feel that the airstream gets interrupted because of the tongue.
Any advice?
Thanks!
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recall Carmine specifically mentioning tongue placement. Using the breath attack and tonguing during the 6 notes should feel the same. The tongue simply flicks away at the air stream. It does not block the air stream.

For me, the tip of the tongue quickly rises up from a relaxed position and "flicks" at the air stream by striking behind the upper teeth. Then quickly relaxing while the air keeps things going.

Mr Caruso demonstrated using a mental image of a water stream coming out of a hose and the fingers just touching the edge of the water and moving away. The wrong way is visualizing the entire hand stopping the water.

I demonstrate some studies I developed with the following video tutorial. This is advanced stuff but the first video discusses tonging which may help a new Caruso student.

https://www.heritagemusicproducts.com/video-tutorials/

Best of luck

Gordon Stump
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of a cartoon on the wall in Carmine's studio right behind where we sat when it was our turn to play. It was a cartoon from the Peanuts series. Shroeder was sitting at the piano with a strange look on his face. Charlie Brown walked up and said, 'what's wrong, Schroeder.' Schroeder replied, ' Did you ever notice how strange your tongue feels in your mouth?' Charlie Brown walked away and then had a strange look on his face.

I believe this means 'don't think so much, just do it.' It sounds like you've got yourself in a box by over-analysis. It might be challenging but try to let go and just do the exercises.

The only time I heard Carmine discuss tonguing was introducing the Tongue Brushing exercise. HIs comments were to think of the tongue as a valve that released the air.

Best wishes,
Alan
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.^^^^
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember the exact wording, but Carmine said something to the effect that a perceived tongue problem is probably a lip problem. If the tongue is an issue when doing Caruso just switch to all breath attacks, except. of course, the tonguing exercise, when you get to that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: