• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Bach Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: New Bach Anniversary Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these? I recently went to a music store and tried a wide variety of trumpets. I liked the Bach Anniversary 37 the best by far. It’s legit! Feels easier to play and more clear/crisp than the 37 I own. The store owner said they were going FAST, trumpet players would come and love them. I May end up purchasing one soon...still have to give Xenos a shot, though.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, and I like it. It's a well made, high quality instrument.

Take care,
Marc Speed
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one last month, and agree with your assessment completely. Anyone wanting an outstanding trumpet should give these a try.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played a couple at a local shop. Very nice. I especially liked the 19037 in lacquer.

A friend of mine has a nice old 37 in lacquer with a ~36k serial number. The 19037 plays similarly and feels about the same in terms of weight and dimensions. They sound similar as well.

My understanding is that’s what they were shooting for.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, outstanding instruments.

The 50th Anniversary 19037 are Bach 37's the way they should be.

And the 100th Anniversary Bach 19043 if you want a 43 bell.

2 piece valve casings, side-seam bell, nickel silver outer/brass inner slide tubes, and round steel bell wire make a difference..
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything about them seems... better. Better than the standard 180 series. Not much, not so much that it is like playing a totally different trumpet. They are just "right", like this is what the 180 series is SUPPOSED TO BE. Hey, what do you know, the closer they get to V Bach's original design, the better it plays! Fancy that!

I really want the 190-43. My local music shop is trying to get one in, but the Bach factory is way backed up due to the beginning of the school year.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous horns. If I had reason and the $$$ to buy one, I would purchase a 190/37 in lacquer.
Even scale, smooth slotting, excellent upper register, and glorious Bach sound.
Yes, Bachs do have a certain "sound" to them. All horns do.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 19037 and a 19043. Fantastic horns. For me, they are everything I like about the 37 and 43 with just a little something extra to the sound.

As for the Xenos, they are very well-made and very consistent. I've never been enamored of the Xeno 8300-series horns, but the 9300 series Xeno horns are truly fine instruments (and really expensive). Definitely give them a try as well.

Good luck!
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I own a 19037 and a 19043. Fantastic horns. For me, they are everything I like about the 37 and 43 with just a little something extra to the sound.

As for the Xenos, they are very well-made and very consistent. I've never been enamored of the Xeno 8300-series horns, but the 9300 series Xeno horns are truly fine instruments (and really expensive). Definitely give them a try as well.

Good luck!

The updated Yamaha 83XX series are far better than their predecessors. I tried out a 190-37, 8335II, and Artisan Bb recently and they were all excellent horns. For my personal taste in sound it goes in the reverse order that I listed, but the 8335II was closer than the 190-37 for me.

What I don't understand about Bach is this: if the 190 series is far superior to the 180, why not get rid of the 180 series all together and just start making their models (37, 43, 72, 229, 239) in the 190 way? If they could all be as good as we are saying, then Bach could definitely start to compete with Yamaha again.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
What I don't understand about Bach is this: if the 190 series is far superior to the 180, why not get rid of the 180 series all together and just start making their models (37, 43, 72, 229, 239) in the 190 way? If they could all be as good as we are saying, then Bach could definitely start to compete with Yamaha again.

I am not sure that Yamaha ever stopped competing with Bach.

But I do agree with you about making the 190 the standard. Perhaps it is that they can get a premium and raise their margins and profits? Or perhaps the 190 series is more costly to produce? Or both?

Or maybe they would lose the default sales that come with the 180 being recommended by every one and their brother when asked for a good pro horn.

I doubt we will ever know.
Chris#

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a sliver plated Anniversary and love that trumpet. It plays great and allows me to get exactly the sound I am looking for.

When I visited the Bach factory I had the pleasure of playing on Jim McCombs (sales rep at Bach) personal Anniversary, which was lacquered. What a great horn! While my silver plated Anniversary plays great I keep on thinking about switching to a lacquered version.

I also own a Bach Commercial, which I like a lot - another 2 piece valve casing horn (here with bronze).

That being said my primary horn for playing lead type of stuff is a lightweight 180 with 43 bell and 43 leadpipe. It just works best for me for what I do most. If it is a Jazz (only) gig, I’d bring the Anniversary. 90% of my playing is on the 180 43/43.

I was told at the Bach factory that they originally made the valve casings in two pieces, because they could not do it other than that. Later they figured out how to do a one piece casing and kept doing that because it costs less in the manufacturing process. A couple of years ago they looked back into their history and started doing the 190 series and the Commercial with their two piece valve casings.

Personally, I do not care much about trumpet specs. I just play and see if a horn is in the way or helping me with what I am doing. Kind of a shoe size thing. I love talking about shoe sizes though...
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very positive feedback. But why so many votes for laquer rather than silver? I would’ve assumed they play the same.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Anniversary is silver plated. I'm in a relatively small market, but I've never seen a lacquer Anniversary in a retail store.

Take care,
Marc Speed
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

A lot of stores in my area have begun only ordering the 190s.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
My Anniversary is silver plated. I'm in a relatively small market, but I've never seen a lacquer Anniversary in a retail store.

Take care,
Marc Speed

That’s because most retail stores sell primarily to high school students. And high school kids want a shiny silver trumpet. That’s just the market.

I really like the lacquer 190, and apparently that version is more popular among professionals. That’s what I’ve been told by our district Conn-Selmer rep, anyway. Larger color palette.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thank you! Very positive feedback. But why so many votes for laquer rather than silver? I would’ve assumed they play the same.

They are very very close. The silver just has more of a sharp edge to the sound, more brilliance. Look up the HornTrader videos on YouTube, he does one with the 19037 in lacquer and one with silver. You can hear a very small difference.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard the conventional wisdom that the kids like a shiny silver trumpet; however, a high school band director buddy recently told me that virtually all of his kids' initial trumpets are brass. He speculates that it's because the lacquer ones are typically a bit less expensive than the silver plated ones.

I loaned my silver Getzen Severinsen to my nephew, who is a beginner a few months ago. He told me it was the only silver plated trumpet in their band. All the other kids have lacquer ones, and he's at a pretty pricey private school where I would think budgetary concerns were not as severe as at most public schools.

I wonder if it is somewhat dictated by specific locale. My local music store - which is way more into student rentals than selling pro level horns - tells me that the kids want silver instruments. Perhaps that's because the school colors are blue, white and silver. The city where my above mentioned band director buddy lives is the same city in which my nephew lives, and it's only about 90 miles away. For whatever reasons, they seem to want lacquer horns. Go figure.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the 190 series Bach's are great trumpets.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Artisan Bb stack up with the 190-37 and 43?
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
How does the Artisan Bb stack up with the 190-37 and 43?

Same excellent build quality. Different sound & blow. Lots has been written about them, try to google "Bach artisan site:trumpetherald.com"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: