• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

By ear or by theory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tivolian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: By ear or by theory Reply with quote

Brief context: I'm a "comeback" player having taken >40 years off after high school and am now about a year into real daily practice. I'm mostly working on my chops (Caruso), basic skills (Clarke), things like Bousquet and Concone, and a bit of improv with a local brass band. I really want to learn to improvise better to simple jazz and blues progressions. So, the rub is that I've not had any music theory. Would it be beneficial to go back to basics and know my scales, arpeggios, etc so well that they're intuitive? It's hard to imagine that I could learn this so deeply (at 63 years old) that I don't even think but just know where I am and what notes fit. It would be like thinking of how to spell words when I'm in the middle of an impassioned sentence. The alternative it seems is to develop my ear, so I can "hear" what I want to play -- the equivalent of just talking without knowing how to spell a word. My ear is decent and hopefully I could improve it through diligent work. Hence my "by ear or by theory" thing. Or is it some combination? I would really love to hear thoughts by jazz trumpeters who can relate to the distant past when they must have figured out their path. Many thanks, in advance.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I decided to really learn to improvise, the first thing I did was learn my theory. I obsessively drilled all my scales and arpeggios in all modes and all keys. The most important book for me was "Patterns for Jazz" by Jerry Coker.

Once I had all of the above completely nailed, then I was able to "forget the theory" and really improvise by ear. You have to train your ear to "hear" the theory naturally, and you do that by drilling it over and over again.

And of course, you need to not only drill your scales/arpeggios, but also jazz language you rip from records.

My particular advice is to learn your theory - you have to know what a G7 is and why/how it resolves to a CMaj7, and most importantly how it sounds when it does resolve. But then you can kind of forget about it when you're improvising and just hear the lines you want to play over those changes.

When I'm playing over a tune I know really well, like All The Things You Are or something, I don't have to think about what chord is coming up, I can just play by ear. But the reason I'm there is because I first learned all my theory and memorized the changes and practiced it for many years. So first theory, then eventually you can just rely on your ear.

But! If you don't want to do all that, just learn the blues in all 12 keys - that will take you surprisingly far!
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was me 10 years ago, at 51, just into my comeback, little jazz improv skills beyond playing along with Steely Dan records. So I jumped in with both feet and did the following:

- CONSTANT listening. In the car, at home, going to sleep, jazz, jazz, jazz.
- learned the heads to every tune I could find, and found WAY more similarities than not.
- researched the basic chord progressions of jazz: ii-V7-i, blues, rhythm changes... most jazz doesn't vary from that.
- learned every scale/arpeggio I could to make the improv fit the language I was hearing-- mostly diminished, half diminished, alterned scales, tritone subs, various pentatonics, fourth and third exercises,and jumped into Aebersolds, transcriptions and jazz groups to work it all out.
- practiced my ass off

So, a little theory goes a long way if you incorporate into a language that's sounds like jazz. Now, that's about all I want to play! And I was the one in college who couldn't improv at ALL. Enjoy, most of all!

ed
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my awakening was definitely a combination, and as Turkle mentioned, was greatly facilitated by concentrating on the blues. Once you figure out a 12-bar I-IV-V blues, and can translate that into any I-IV-V progression, so much becomes clear.

Also, begin to think of notes in any combination, arpeggios or scales, in terms of numbers. That makes it easier to move from key to key.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they mutually exclusive?

But don't get ahead of yourself. Learn by ear and when you get stuck look to theory to find out why. You need to know what you don't know to get ahead but never lose track that jazz is an aural art.

Do you know Aebersold Vols. 1, 2, 3 and 54? Give them a try.
http://www.jazzbooks.com/jazz/category/aeball

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s really helpful to mentally count bars when youkre listening to jazz. Also listen intensively to the rhythm section and take special note of what the drummer is doing to stake out the form.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Are they mutually exclusive?

But don't get ahead of yourself. Learn by ear and when you get stuck look to theory to find out why. You need to know what you don't know to get ahead but never loose track that jazz is an aural art.

Do you know Aebersold Vols. 1, 2, 3 and 54? Give them a try.
http://www.jazzbooks.com/jazz/category/aeball

This^^^

Check out this thread. There is excellent advice here for free. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32146
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
adam.arredondo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use an analogy similar to the one you gave with spoken language. Think of improvising within the chord changes of a tune like answering questions about a given subject. Musical phrases are like sentences which must be delivered (phrased) right to give the correct meaning and be taken in the way you meant—you've got to put the right accent on the right syllable/note.

In spoken language you have to know the meaning of the words you're saying to answer the question asked. In music improvisation you have to know (aurally or by music theory) how the notes you play relate to, or sound over, the underlying chord in order to (1) choose whether to create harmonically consonant or dissonant sounds (2) string notes and licks together to create phrases that have a logical flow.

Jazz Path has a great free podcast aptly titled Constructing Melodic Jazz Improvisation that takes you through these kinds of concepts with concrete steps & exercises to follow.

Hope this helps!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
It’s really helpful to mentally count bars when youkre listening to jazz. Also listen intensively to the rhythm section and take special note of what the drummer is doing to stake out the form.

I'll add that the bass player is your best friend for whenever you get lost.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
robbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a masterclass a few weeks back with a group of 20 or so students of varying levels of improv experience. (Most with none).

I was blown away at how in only 30 mins these kids who'd never read a chord symbol in their life could make their way through a blues progression using a basic lick or two that I gave them based around the 3rd of the chord. (The licks weren't written down for them, they had to think what the 3rd of the chord was and the lick then followed). The most important aspect of that was that they were acknowledging the chord symbol, and the listener could hear the chord changes in their solos. In contrast, the kids who were "already playing jazz" bluffed their way around the blues, basically using one lick, and no acknowledgement of the changes.

I'm quite passionate about starting with a somewhat "theoretical" approach. Not so much learning too much harmony and scales early in the process, but working on basic motifs (licks) focusing on key notes in the chord. The ear will follow in due course, and you can work on stuff to improve on that too.

I put a little clip a while back that demonstrates this better, with some bits to play along to if you'd like a peek.

https://youtu.be/_TDbJ5_7pj0

Rob
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We learn to speak in complete sentences long before we learn to spell. But we communicate so much more deeply after we’ve read widely.

Personally I tune out if I hear someone diagramming sentences (musically speaking).
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long-time wannabe improviser the key to the door for me was watching this video (and #3, the follow-up) from Jeff Antoniuk on YouTube. https://youtu.be/LPQrroOJcAk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: