• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Master Cornet Mouthpiece Choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: King Master Cornet Mouthpiece Choice Reply with quote

I recently picked up a King Master Cornet. Great little horn. It came with a King MC mouthpiece, which is a way smaller id than I am used to. I am curious to know what mouthpieces you have used that work for you. Need some other options that will fit in the horn properly. Thanks in advance.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one what's closer to what you are used to.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find a modern mouthpiece that fits the horn? Who makes them?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indeed a problem. As far as I know no modern maker is producing that shank. You can always ask Mark Curry, maybe he can copy that shank for you.
Or ask Jim New, he once made a Conn short shank backbore for me with Warburton threads.
Or phone Dillon, they seem to have some original King mouthpieces.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

I own 4 King Master models, and all of them accept all sizes of modern cornet mouthpieces. Just order the cup and rim size of what you are used to playing for trumpet. I have one that I use a Wick mouthpiece on because the short shank brings it closer to pitch center. I have no trouble using "modern" cornet mouthpieces on any of them, Bach, Schilke, etc.

These horns are extremely nice instruments! A couple of mine are around 100 years old and still play well.

Regards,
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
Hi Jon,

I own 4 King Master models, and all of them accept all sizes of modern cornet mouthpieces. Just order the cup and rim size of what you are used to playing for trumpet. I have one that I use a Wick mouthpiece on because the short shank brings it closer to pitch center. I have no trouble using "modern" cornet mouthpieces on any of them, Bach, Schilke, etc.

These horns are extremely nice instruments! A couple of mine are around 100 years old and still play well.

Regards,

+1

I have tons of old cornets. Conns, Reynolds, Kings and other variants of the same. With the exception of one model, all work well with modern mouthpieces. I also should add that period mouthpieces from the past often came in just one diameter. Often that ranges from tiny to something along the size of a Bach 7.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the cornet and its a player. I appreciate the replies.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '38 King Master. Nice little player, even with it's wavy leadpipe. It seems to work just fine with any mouthpiece I've used on it (Bach 1C, 1/2 C, 3C, 6, Blessing 3C, Yamaha something) all of them modern.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
lambchop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King Masters will "accept" a modern mouthpiece, but they don't fit that well, and they seem to work best with King mouthpieces IMO. Same with some other horns like the old Reynolds liked the Reynolds mouthpieces, and of course old pre-59 Olds cornets need the older Olds mouthpiece although you might be able to get by with a old Conn.
malden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The King Masters will "accept" a modern mouthpiece, but they don't fit that well, and they seem to work best with King mouthpieces IMO. Same with some other horns like the old Reynolds liked the Reynolds mouthpieces, and of course old pre-59 Olds cornets need the older Olds mouthpiece although you might be able to get by with a old Conn.

+1

Absolutely.

My King Master (’36), 80A (’32, ’41) and all pre 59 Olds did not play well until they had the correct shank mouthpiece, either a vintage piece or one made by Mark Curry.

As it stands today, I have a ’54 Contempora, like new, that has been cleaned and had a PVA done and it plays like it has a wool sock stuffed in it with every modern mp. Does anyone know what correct vintage Reynolds mouthpieces for a mid 50s Contempora cornet was called. I need to find one. Is it the 5A, B or C?

Thanks
liberati

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It is true that modern mouthpieces aren't the exact shank but I have played dozens of jobs using a 1940 Master or a 1956 Master with a standard Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece and have experienced no issues with intonation, open tone quality, etc. Really one of the best "American" long model designs and blends great in a traditional jazz front line.
Have not tried a short shank mouthpiece in a Master- will try this tonight with the Curry I am using in my very old French Bessons.
bworth

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a King Master cornet, 1955. I found it to be very mp sensitive. I have a King 7 with a very short shank that works and sounds great, The next best is my short Conn 4. Any of my modern mp's don't sound good. Love the horn!
CornetKent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my King Silver Flair cornet. Most modern mouthpiece shanks just won’t fit it properly. Finally I tried some standard Curry pieces and, due to the shank taper, they fit perfectly! I finally settled on a 3DC and trimmed the shank for gap...... WOW, what a player!!

I highly recommend that you try the Curry DC and BBC. These really do fit the King Master Model mouthpiece receiver perfectly!

I don’t like the TC and have never tried the P. but the VC does work really well on a short shank receiver.

Good luck!
1964 King Silver Sonic cornet
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
1980s Courtois 104 cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
2008 Taylor Orpheus cornet
2015 Getzen 800 Eterna cornet
And More
Torbjörn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornetKent wrote:
I had the same problem with my King Silver Flair cornet. Most modern mouthpiece shanks just won’t fit it properly. Finally I tried some standard Curry pieces and, due to the shank taper, they fit perfectly! I finally settled on a 3DC and trimmed the shank for gap...... WOW, what a player!!

I highly recommend that you try the Curry DC and BBC. These really do fit the King Master Model mouthpiece receiver perfectly!

I don’t like the TC and have never tried the P. but the VC does work really well on a short shank receiver.

Good luck!

Thanks for advisory! I have a 1939 King Master Model, and I’ve used to use an old Bach 7C. That mpc does not fit too well to the reciever. It works, but not more than that. Now I’ve tried a couple of Curry short shank mpcs I happened to have in a drawer. What a difference! The mpcs fit to the reciever like if specially made for it. And the horn itself comes alive. The sound is richer, louder, smoother - and quite old fashion. It is an old horn, I know, but yet it surprises me that this is what is achieved with totaly modern mouthpieces. Great anyway - I’ve become aware of the Masters qualities, which are much better than I used to know. Thanks again!
CornetKent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.... I found exactly the same as you described to be true. All my Currys fit perfectly but all the other brands have movement in the mouthpiece receiver. Thanks!
1964 King Silver Sonic cornet
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
1980s Courtois 104 cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
2008 Taylor Orpheus cornet
2015 Getzen 800 Eterna cornet
And More
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post. This is one of my favorite kind of posts on the TrumpetHerald. I recently bought a 1938 King Silvertone cornet, which I believe is a Master Model with a silver bell.

I tried several mouthpieces with it, and found that my Schilke mouthpieces fit very well. The shank is longer than the King M2 and M8 cornet mouthpieces that came with the horn, but they play fairly well. My Bach mouthpieces do not fit as well, but work well enough. My Giardinelli 3-piece mouthpiece shank does not fit well at all, and stays loose when inserted. My Yamaha short shank drops all the way into the receiver, eventually fitting tight enough to play, but lots of playing issues.

I used a feeler to try to find the junction between the leadpipe and the mouthpiece receiver, but it seems to be smooth like a flugelhorn, so I guess gap is not an issue. Even though the Schilke mouthpiece is longer, it inserts further so the overall length from the rim of the mouthpiece to the edge of the bell was the same.

I like the King M2 the best of all my mouthpieces. It is a different design than my "modern" mouthpieces. The throat is much smaller and the shape is much more conical. It is a much smaller rim, but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as I used to think it would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: