• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to try before you buy - Flugelhorn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jem33445

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: How to try before you buy - Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

My trumpet playing son would like to start playing the flugelhorn. We tried renting but that didn't work out so we are looking to buy one.

When we bought his trumpet he went to a showcase where there were many manufacturers and models that he could try before buying. He did try to look for a flugelhorn there but they didn't have any.

What is the best way to go about this? I know things are probably totally different or completely up in the air due to Covid19, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any information.

Based on what we've researched online we were considering the YFH 831, the 631G or the Allora AAFG 103F. Or any other suggestions anyone has.

He currently plays the Yamaha YTR-8310ZII Bobby Shew Custom Series Bb Trumpet Silver plated
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Where to buy flugels Reply with quote

I'm a bit partial because they are my sole distributor in the world but Chuck Levins Washington Music Center in Wheaton, Maryland is a well know source for virtually all makers of both pro and student horns including flugelhorns. They offer a seven day free trial so even if you aren't in the Washington D.C. area, it's a simple matter to try out your choices. I would contact Lee Walkowich at (301) 946-8808 or leew@chucklevins.com for any information on your needs. Lee is a fine trumpet player and will always give you straight answers.

I hope this helps,

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to try before you buy - Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Because the flugelhorn is less common that the trumpet, it's hard to find enough of them to try-before-you-buy.

What city do you live in (or what major city are you close to)? Maybe someone here can suggest an store close enough to you that stocks a number of flugels.

The 3 flugels you listed are all reasonable, depending on your goals. The 8315G is Yamaha's top of the line. And the 631G is a standard, and among the most popular flugels. Perhaps a local store can get these in for your son to try?

The Allora is not in the same class as the other two. But it's a reasonable starter horn. It's a 631 clone. I've played one, and it's not a bad horn. A friend of mine recently purchased one and is happy with her purchase.

Mike

EDIT: Tony posted as I was writing my reply. I'll add that Tony Scodwell is a good guy, and Chuck's (which is right down the road from me) is a great place to buy a horn.
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Dillard. HornTrader. He has a try before the sale is final plan.

Or buy a Couesnon. You don't have to do a trial on those.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Couesnon flugels are concerned, I am a big fan. The one I currently own is a gem. It has a great sound, decent intonation, and great valves (after a Dr. Valve rebuild). My first Couesnon, not nearly as good. And that is the problem with Couesnon flugels. They are inconsistent, and if you can't play it first, you are taking a chance buying it sight unseen. Also, the Couesnon requires a French taper mouthpiece. Of the three that were listed, I would suggest the Yamaha 631. I would also consider the Yamaha 731, the difference being the 631 has a red brass bell and the 731 has a yellow brass bell and is usually silver plated. I also currently own both the 631 and 731. For the money you can't beat them. And as with Yamaha horns in general, they are very consistent from one horn to the next. I would have no problem buying a Yamaha flugel horn sight unseen. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how I acquired the Yamaha 631.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with the Yamaha 631/731 or Shew model. If it's a first flugel it wouldn't hurt to start with a used one since they're pretty sturdy. The used horn will hold it's value for trading up if he ever decides to.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jem33445

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will look into all the suggestions. We live just outside of NYC (19 miles away), but we vacation in MD so that may be in option. None of the local stores in our area and Northern NJ stock the flugelhorn, so it's considered special order and no returns.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
As far as Couesnon flugels are concerned, I am a big fan. The one I currently own is a gem. It has a great sound, decent intonation, and great valves (after a Dr. Valve rebuild). My first Couesnon, not nearly as good. And that is the problem with Couesnon flugels. They are inconsistent, and if you can't play it first, you are taking a chance buying it sight unseen. Also, the Couesnon requires a French taper mouthpiece. Of the three that were listed, I would suggest the Yamaha 631. I would also consider the Yamaha 731, the difference being the 631 has a red brass bell and the 731 has a yellow brass bell and is usually silver plated. I also currently own both the 631 and 731. For the money you can't beat them. And as with Yamaha horns in general, they are very consistent from one horn to the next. I would have no problem buying a Yamaha flugel horn sight unseen. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how I acquired the Yamaha 631.

+1, for Yamaha. They aren't bad.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jem33445 wrote:
Thanks. I will look into all the suggestions. We live just outside of NYC (19 miles away), but we vacation in MD so that may be in option. None of the local stores in our area and Northern NJ stock the flugelhorn, so it's considered special order and no returns.

Dillon Music in Woodbridge, NJ. https://www.dillonmusic.com/

If you vacation in Maryland, Chuck Levins, as already mentioned. https://chucklevins.com/

Closer to Baltimore, is Baltimore Brass. http://baltimorebrass.net/

All three stores normally have a good supply of flugels in stock.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jem33445 wrote:

Dillon Music in Woodbridge NJ.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Yamaha Shew flugelhorn and really enjoy it. One thing for your son to consider is what type of sound he wants from the flugel: dark, thick, almost trombone-like (a Kanstul 1525) or a light, French sound (Couesnon, Yamaha Shew). The mouthpiece also makes a huge difference. You have to make sure it's the right taper shank for the particular brand and make of horn. Then you have to consider the cup depth. My flugel sounds completely different with a deep Curry brand flugel pieces as compared to the Bobby Shew model mouthpiece that came with it.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
I have the Yamaha Shew flugelhorn and really enjoy it. One thing for your son to consider is what type of sound he wants from the flugel: dark, thick, almost trombone-like (a Kanstul 1525) or a light, French sound (Couesnon, Yamaha Shew). The mouthpiece also makes a huge difference. You have to make sure it's the right taper shank for the particular brand and make of horn. Then you have to consider the cup depth. My flugel sounds completely different with a deep Curry brand flugel pieces as compared to the Bobby Shew model mouthpiece that came with it.

FWIW, if he goes with a Yamaha flugel then I think it's a good and safe idea to start with the stock Yamaha flugel mouthpiece with an ID that most resembles the piece he uses for the Bb. For a Bach 3C trumpet player either a 14F4 (smaller) or a 16F4 (larger) is a good place to start. Once he gets dialed in, which can take some time, then he can experiment with more specialized pieces.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending you a private message with private secrets ...
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to try before you buy - Flugelhorn Reply with quote

jem33445 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Based on what we've researched online we were considering the YFH 831, the 631G or the Allora AAFG 103F. Or any other suggestions anyone has.

Every player is different, so one player's experience may not be applicable to another. Not sure if your son's playing a Bobby Shew trumpet would lead to his liking the Shew model Flugelhorn or not.
When I was looking for a Flugelhorn, I tried out a bunch of them in used shops in Japan. There were lots of Yamahas. I did not try the Shew, but I did try the YFH 831 and 631. I found the latter much more to my liking than the former. I thought it had more of a flugel sound. The 831, as I recall was a lot lighter, more trumpety. Just one opinion in a sea of opinions.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
mafields627 wrote:

FWIW, if he goes with a Yamaha flugel then I think it's a good and safe idea to start with the stock Yamaha flugel mouthpiece with an ID that most resembles the piece he uses for the Bb. For a Bach 3C trumpet player either a 14F4 (smaller) or a 16F4 (larger) is a good place to start. Once he gets dialed in, which can take some time, then he can experiment with more specialized pieces.

+1
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Music has 40 flugelhorns in stock as we speak, of various brands between new and used.

And open for in store trials on an appointment basis for the time being
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to try before you buy - Flugelhorn Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
jem33445 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Every player is different, so one player's experience may not be applicable to another. Not sure if your son's playing a Bobby Shew trumpet would lead to his liking the Shew model Flugelhorn or not.
When I was looking for a Flugelhorn, I tried out a bunch of them in used shops in Japan. There were lots of Yamahas. I did not try the Shew, but I did try the YFH 831 and 631. I found the latter much more to my liking than the former. I thought it had more of a flugel sound. The 831, as I recall was a lot lighter, more trumpety. Just one opinion in a sea of opinions.

Of the ones I've tried the 631 is my favorite too. The 731 is similar but not as deep sounding. From behind the bell, to my ears the Shew 8310Z, though it's a great player, doesn't play quite as warm as the 631.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: flugel trying Reply with quote

Hello all,
The flugel is a secondary instrument for most, and will have minimal use in most cases. There are two in the marketplace, a Yamaha and a Bach. Both would suffice and the prices are good. I am not selling either one, just passing on info.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a new/used Yamaha 631G or used 731. I played a 631G professionally for many years (as a secondary instrument to trumpet) and was happy to sell to an aspiring, talented high school trumpet player last year. The instrument was still in pristine like-new condition, so shop around. There are some nice ones out there to be found at reasonable prices.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol Brass used to get rave reviews on here. How about those? I always think the US prices for new CB instruments are quite high compared to European relation but people seem to like them. They should be available used as well.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: