• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone use a treadmill for exercise?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Anyone use a treadmill for exercise? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has a treadmill at home, or has used one in a gym or not, but my wife has always wanted one for some reason. Anyway, I was checking out Craigslist on the internet here in town last weekend, and stumbled upon a nice, hardly used, treadmill for only $100 bucks. I immediately contacted the young couple about it, asking right away, "What's wrong with it...". Well, honest - NOTHING was wrong with it! They bought it a number of years ago, used it a little, and then it just sat in their downstairs den, and became a coat rack. The guy said his wife said, "...just get rid of it", so since they both joined a gym, they didn't want it anymore. The guy said, "It's still perfect for being about 8 years old - how's $100 sound?"

I checked out prices of treadmills (brand new), googled the make/model of this treadmill, read reviews, and realized the guy was making a mistake on the price. So I immediately said, "It's a deal... What's your address? My wife and I will be there this afternoon to pick it up!". Man, we rushed down there and checked it out. Great looking treadmill that works fine. Man, to be honest - we literally STOLE this thing for $100 bucks! These things (brand new) are upwards of $800 - $1200 in the big sporting goods stores!

Anyone have treadmill and/or offer any advice about them? These things are cool! I'm thinking it might help on rainy days when I want to go jogging, and would help with breathing, cardio, and endurance for trumpet & cornet playing. What do you think?

Horizon T500 treadmill
Still in perfect condition for being lightly used. So many features and auto-program buttons, my wife and I had to download the .pdf file owners manual and read it!

Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, physical fitness helps with everything, which most certainly includes trumpet playing. I have used a treadmill for years for aerobic exercise, when I cannot walk outdoors. It works for me.

Jim
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a bicycle. I've bought exercise equipment before, all of which inevitably fall apart or gets put on the roadside with a "please take" notice stuck to it. All due to lack of use after the novelty wears off.

My bike continues to be used however. I think it's the fact that it's an outdoor activity and it's a lot faster than walking or running.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a former marathon (yeah, the 26.2 milers😎) runner and triathlete. The BIG difference between treadmills is that if you want to RUN on them, the cheap ones either won’t run fast enough, or will quickly fall apart, or both.
Generally, a treadmill suitable for running will cost, even used, MUCH more than 100.00. When you consider that each running step impacts your body at 3-4 X your body weight, it’s understandable that a cheap treadmill won’t last.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I’m a former marathon (yeah, the 26.2 milers😎) runner and triathlete. The BIG difference between treadmills is that if you want to RUN on them, the cheap ones either won’t run fast enough, or will quickly fall apart, or both.
Generally, a treadmill suitable for running will cost, even used, MUCH more than 100.00.

Brad

True dat
decamagum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you! I also bought a very profitable and comfortable treadmill for myself in May. I didn't want to buy it for a long time because I was afraid that it would become a "clothes hanger", but then I found a very cool folding treadmill on https://treadmillreviewsite.co.uk/folding-treadmills/ and decided to buy it anyway. It turned out to be very convenient to run at home in the morning , especially in rainy weather . In addition, I easily clean it when in the closet when guests come to me. This is very important to me since I live in a small apartment.

Last edited by decamagum on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a treadmill - same brand as yours - and I've put maybe 600 miles on it in about five years. I run outside unless it's absolutely impossible. Make sure its feet are all on the floor, get the manual and check the belt tension and tracking, and get some silicone lubricant on it since it probably hasn't been maintained.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=treadmill+lubricant

I find treadmill running soooo boring. I have to have a TV. Even podcasts and music don't do it for me.

You might also consider a mat to go under it depending on how much noise it makes on your wood floor. I don't use anything under mine. I bought some hard rubber pads to try but they made it bounce weird underfoot, so I put them under the dog crate.

EDIT to add: Wear the stupid clip.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A treadmill is a really useful device. I´ve found that after having practiced for some hours (in all) stepping up on our contraption does wonders for legs, circulation and the 'system' in general.
It´s all too easy just keep on sitting - the very thought of opening the front door to become met by heavy rain, chilly winds (or a terrible heat)etc etc has a very discouraging effect! Well, next day maybe.....so instead of slowly gaining pounds, lethargy - up on the thing; maybe "Jumpin´at the Woodside in the headphones! 5 minutes a day at 5 km/hour keep the doctor away! Or 10 minutes or...
Yes it will have to be of a sturdy construction, capable of speeds up to say 12 km/hour. Ours is, but it wasn´t that expensive - about in US dollars 200.
Go or rather run for it!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: