• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Normally this should go to the mods via P/M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Normally this should go to the mods via P/M Reply with quote

But I couldn't access their private message link.

No "dirty laundry" to expose here and again I would much rather have sent this to the TH moderators in private. However for the reason mentioned I can't. Thus? Here goes my minor complaints tonight (which I'd never wanted made public in the first place). Dont worry, no biggies here.

After spending some 45+ minutes writing a response up on HRD I then selected the "Preview" function. Instead however of seeing my post in draft form? The program demanded that I re-submit my password. I was not even mildly annoyed at this point so I did as directed.

Unfortunately I was then subjected to a completely blank page. Instead of the several hundred word long post which I had just spent better than 45 minutes working on. "No matter" I thought. So just hit "Back" on my computer several times. And to my great relief the original post of mine eventually re-appeared. Albeit with numerous typos. "u's" instead of "i's". Sometimes doubled letters etc. The typical typos which I count upon the "Preview" function to allow me to correct. However not this time. So I fixed my typos and hit "Submit" again...

Same thing!
The doggone program wanted my password again! And again a blank page appeared after I submitted my password. And again I kept hitting " Back" on my own computer. Again I was eventually returned to my typo ridden original post. Only I'm not feeling relieved so much as a bit upset..

Because at this point I feared that the next time I select "Preview" I might not be so lucky as to find my original text. And that's if the TH program continued to insist that I provide my password. So I finally wise up and just sent my whole typo-infested post in. Wrong spelled words and everything. Reasoning that I can just use the "Edit" function to correct my weak typing skills. I consider myself a decent speller though not so accurate at typing. Good that the trumpet only has three valves huh? Well?

Another problem, the program sends me an error message after I submitted my corrected post. Saying,

"You can not edit another person's post".

Strange! I think but perhaps I had accidentally hit the "Space" bar over someone else's quoted materials. Could've happened. Although at this point I'm kinda wishing I'd have watched a movie tonight. Instead of making so many futile attempts to post on Trumpetherald. However I'm not one to give up. So this time I merely select and copy my own words. And then with my work saved through the "select all" and "Copy" function I START ALL OVER AGAIN (:

Essentially I revert back to the original post I intended to reply to by selecting the "Quote" function. Then merely hit "paste". Putting my response just below the quoted words of my fellow. Still including all of my typos and everything. Was my intention at this point just to try and use the "Edit" function again. After my response gets posted that is. Misspelled words and all. I reason that if I'm lucky no one will have the time to read my poorly edited response. Truly I felt embarrassed at it however. It had thirteen misspelled words. If I didn't know better? I'd have thought that Forrest Gump had written it. Not me.

The split second after posting my words? I hit the edit function. Result? Same thing!! At this point I let go of a few choice expletives in the loudness and stammering timbre of Mr Yosemite Sam. But now I've gotten serious,

"This meams War"!

So I think... And to be extra careful? I go to my own email server. Where I paste my post from TH and both send it back to.myself while saving the draft. Then? I re-start my computer twice.

While I don't think that re-starting my computer oughta have anything at all to do with the evening's problems I never-the-less decide not to leave any stone unturned. Then repeat the various measures described and taken above. However this time things worked a little better (actually at this point they couldn't have gotten much worse!). As I was able to post my response. The only hitch was that I needed to submit my password twice. However in so doing my original text didn't disappear into the ether of cyberspace. Not such as the previous 3+ attempts (who's counting?) all had. And for some reason the "Edit" function works this time!!. That and during the interim no one else viewed my response with it's more than a dozen misspelled words. No trace of Forrest Gump tonight.

So all's well that end's well. Except that I kinda wanted to let the moderators or management here know of my issues today
And not wishing to hurt anyone's pride, least of all my own? I naturally chose to send the Mods here a private message regarding tjis business. While it truly was a pain in my butt I saw no need to air EVERYTHING out publicly. Somewhere I once read that Mod's prefer to handle even just the small nuisances privately. Let alone the biggies. As only a complete fool chastizes nice people publicly. And since I have the utmost respect for our very own trumpet friends here. You know those who keep this thing going? I certainly had no intention at all of posting matters which could cause them unease. However?

This was at the point where upon attempting to open the link known of having the screen name "Trumpetherald"?

The newly opened window was so small that I couldn't hit the link indicating "Send private message"...

Granted I have sent private messages to other friends here before. So perhaps it would have been preferable that I started over from scratch and actually specifically typed in one letter at a time the wird "trumpethera....". Well you get my point. However at this point?

I was considerably frustrated. Not angry mind you. And certainly not trying to upset the staff here at TH. Without whom the forum couldn't exist. And to whom I believe we're all indebted to.

So I hope that our good friends who manage this fine forum do not feel that I'm putting them down. And if my posting of the above matters hurts anyone's feeling? Please accept my sincere apologies in advance. That and go ahead and delete or edit any portion of this post as you see fit. Again, I did attempt to keep these matters discreet. That and I hope you'll draw no offense or hold no ill feelings towards yours truly for drawing attention to the matters involved.

Best regards!
Lionel aka "Forrest Gump Jr"

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the group of moderators can do anything. However, Todd, aka TrumpetHerald, might be able to. As might other tech savvy members. So posting this in the lounge might actually get some helpful suggestions.

Having spent a good number of years doing technical support I would like to suggest that you add the browser you are using, the type of computer, phone, Windows, Mac, iPad, and the OS as these types of issues often only happen on certain combinations of software and hardware.

Good luck.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had my posts disappear. If I remember, when I have a long post I write it in an email program and copy and paste here.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying your post before submitting it can also prevent disappointment.

Jim
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The mods can't do anything about this. Todd is probably the only one you could contact.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
Copying your post before submitting it can also prevent disappointment.

Jim

Any time I write a long post on any forum, be it Facebook or our own Trumpet Herald, I write it first in Notepad or MS Word and then copy and paste into the browser. That way you don't lose anything if there's an error or if you errantly press the "back" button or whatever.
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:

Any time I write a long post on any forum, be it Facebook or our own Trumpet Herald, I write it first in Notepad or MS Word and then copy and paste into the browser. That way you don't lose anything if there's an error or if you errantly press the "back" button or whatever.

Same here. And you can use the correction tool to eliminate double letters and typos.
Writing short and factual post can also help on this.

Friede und ein langes Leben.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happened to me.

- Back button until you get back to your post.
- "Select All"
- "Copy"
- Forward button on browser
- "Paste" onto your now blank reply

Crisis averted... mostly.

This software is venerable. It's not new. If it doesn't want to do what you want it to do, that's how it is. Doing the same thing again is unlikely to get a different result. Getting frustrated won't make it work better, it's just code, it doesn't care.

After a while of inactivity (as in clicking on links), it logs you out. It doesn't know that you're typing a Tolstoy length post. Then when you submit or preview it, you're no longer logged in and have issues. Follow those steps above calmly and you'll be fine.

Maybe it's trying to encourage a bit more brevity...

Maybe.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I have also had my posts disappear. If I remember, when I have a long post I write it in an email program and copy and paste here.

Same here, good idea.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:

Same here, good idea.

Brad

It is a great idea, however most of the time I don't remember it until I lose a post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: