• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cheap student horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnfin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Cheap student horns Reply with quote

Does anyone actually make a student horn for around $100 bucks that actually functions without valve issues?
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New? No.

There are things that you can buy for $100, but they will not:
1. actually function to a usable standard.
2. be free of valve issues.

Used? If you are careful, you can find something.
johnfin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: etude Reply with quote

People really love the etude ert-100 but I know nothing about it. Has a 1 year warranty, 10 bucks for 2 year protection plan. I figure if my kid sticks with it for 2 years I would get him a $500 horn.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: etude Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:
People really love the etude ert-100 but I know nothing about it. Has a 1 year warranty, 10 bucks for 2 year protection plan. I figure if my kid sticks with it for 2 years I would get him a $500 horn.

I had a nice little essay about this, but TH timed out and my browser freaked out on me and it's gone. I'm not typing it again.

Basically, it's probably going to be cheap junk. I'd buy a used Yamaha or Getzen on craigslist for $150-350, get it cleaned and go with that. If your kid quits, you can sell it for the same price.

But who knows. Maybe it's good.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: etude Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:

Hi Dad, and welcome to TH!

I appreciate your efforts to be a good Dad, and to give your child the life long gift of music.

From a purely numbers standpoint, let me present a better option. You're looking at spending $600 on 2 horns, the first of which will have no resale value. I suggest splitting the difference and getting a $300 used horn, that will increase your child's chance of success by about 8x, AND have resale value of about what you paid for it if they lose interest.

There is nothing magical about the $300 price point, but with some knowledge (and maybe some guidance from members here to help you navigate our marketplace) you probably CAN get something with that budget that will serve you well until your child demonstrates that they warrant a professional level instrument. In other words, something they could certainly play all the way through HS, or if they're really serious about being the best they can be it wouldn't hold them back until they excel. Then the pro level horn (after maybe 2-3 years if they're really talented and apply themselves) would help them get higher chairs at auditions.

From the standpoint of developing as a trumpet player, a poor instrument can make a frustrating and difficult learning process impossible. The difference between what you can get used for $100 vs 300 bridges that gap, with the $100 "find" being difficult even for a seasoned player to find, and it will likely need some work ($)

All the best to you Sir!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: etude Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:

I've not tried an Etude Trumpet. But I did purchase and Etude ETB-100 Trombone two years ago for about $100. (I think it was normally about $200, but was on sale at the time.) The trombone is definitely "no frills". But for what it is, it's well made, and plays in tune.

If their trumpets are anything like their trombones, and you are okay with a "no frills" horn, then the Etude Trumpet might be reasonable to consider. In addition, WWBW.com (and their related sites) all offer a 45-day return policy.

But there might be better ways to spend $100-$200 on a used student trumpet, if you can find one in good condition. I purchased two Olds Ambassadors, both in good condition, for under $100 each.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Last edited by TrumpetMD on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult enough to learn how to play the trumpet with a good instrument. Getting a cheaply made trumpet is a good way to ensure that a student will not stick with it. There are numerous student horns available for very little money on the internet.
johnfin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: yamaha ytr 2330 Reply with quote

Found a decent yamaha for $125, bought it.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: yamaha ytr 2330 Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:

Congratulations on the new horn!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: yamaha ytr 2330 Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:

Depending on the condition of the horn this is a much better purchase than one of the ultra cheap imports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: