• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reverb / Special Effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reverb / Special Effects Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting a device for reverb and other special sound effects. We have an amp for an electronic keyboard that I could use. This would mainly be for having fun in the home, but I may consider using it in recording or even certain gig situations. Ah, brings back memories of hearing Phil Driscoll, right? Anyway, have any of you experimented, or actually used, such pedals or other devices, and if so, do you have suggestions as to what to get or avoid, low end to high end price-wise, and any additional cables/parts/accessories? We have a microphone with cable (ΒΌ-inch) and another cable that we use for the keyboard going to the amp, so I should be set on cables. Ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/TC-Electronic-Hall-Fame-Reverb/dp/B004OK17QS?th=1
Steve B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I used to use the Alesis Microverb. Maybe more than you're looking for, but it had a ton of programs to use. You could carry it anywhere you went that had a sound system and hook it up right at the microphone. Good luck with your search....

Steve B.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play around with effects, mostly reverb, but also some echo, chorus, flanger, pitch shifter. Nowadays, I mostly use a little reverb, which is built into my amp.

The pedals I used to use were the are the Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine (I think it's been discontinued) and the Behringer FX600 Digital Multi-FX Pedal. Both were under $40, and both served me well.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Steve and Mike. What I'd like to do is turn my office into a space that has more acoustical "life" to it. It is the size of a regular bedroom, 12x12 feet and has tile. I used to practice in a parking garage when I was doing graduate work (and before I was married), which I mentioned in another recent TH thread regarding practice spaces.

My amp also has some effects, and I tried using it today in my favorite place to practice in our house, our master bathroom, but it got really loud in there with minimal effort, so that's not realistic. I also started to get feedback even with the amp pointed away from, and in front of, the microphone. I'm sure it was due to the reflective surfaces in a small space.

A few years ago, we had water leakage in the house while we were away from home for the day, and the carpet in the den and master bedroom was ruined. After throwing the carpet out, I moved all of the furniture out of our master bedroom, including wall hangings, and we were down to concrete. That room is 15x20 feet, not including the walk-in closet, and it was a dream to practice in there during the few days as we shopped for new flooring. One of the parents of a voice student of my wife commented on how great it sounded as she sat in the front living room. There's something about that kind of space that makes it easy for me to relax my blow and just play better. I can always add more volume later in rehearsal and performance spaces. Now, if I can just duplicate that space, I'd be one happy camper...hence, my thought of using some amplified effects in my (tiny) office. (Do you think maybe I can convince my wife for us to move up to our daughter's bedroom, who's in NYC now, and me go back to pure concrete with nothing but a music stand in our master bedroom for practice?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: