• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How Not to Warm Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: How Not to Warm Up Reply with quote

I played a big band rehearsal the other night and a sub was on lead trombone. He opens his case, inserts a mouthpiece in his horn, and starts playing the loudest “warm up” I’ve ever heard. It was positivey elephantine in intensity.

I figured maybe he has a method that somehow works for him.

Not!

The first tune was a Tommy Dorsey medley and the guy couldn’t get above the staff.

I don’t think he’ll be subbing again.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too hard on him. I thought the goal of warm-ups were to impress everyone in the band with your range and power.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy back in the day who was known as the "warm-up King" in my locale. He would blow everyone away with his abilities on Trumpet until a relatively short few minutes into any gig, then it was basically over. I can ask many people from that time, "Who was that guy that blew everyone away on his warm-ups?" and they still remember his name 40 years later. Never understood the logic.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Roger Ingram saying that when he was playing lead for Woody Herman one of his jobs was to tell players who left their chops in the band room that “Woody can’t hear you. He wants you gone.”

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the Berlioz Requiem with the Baltimore Symphony, there were lots of additional brass players performing. As we stood backstage, quietly waiting for time to play, we witnessed lots of spectacular performance. Dominic De Gangi said something like, 'they play now; we play later.'

Alan
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a pro player you must have the ability to play without a warm up.

This is for three reasons:

1) Sometimes there is simply not time for a warm up (usually if the traffic is really heavy or a flight is delayed).

2) Many gigs can involve large periods of rest (and not just symphonic concerts!) and, inevitably, by the time our entry comes we are cold again anyway!

3) The last thing your fellow musicians want to hear when setting up for a gig is noise. Even a fairly conservative warm up can cause heads to swivel in the back desk of violins, especially if there was a bit of a social the night before... In my experience most (regularly working) professionals don't do more than a couple of minutes warming up just before a rehearsal or concert- all the hard work has happened in the practice room for the previous decade.

I have actually seen players lose work over their warm up. Guys who play brilliantly on the gig but are still black-listed due to turning a few too many heads with their over-zealous warm up.

Hope that adds to the discussion!

All the best
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still do not know how to work without a warm-up. My resistance is much less when I do not prepare my muscles and I look for good sensations before starting. all that requires a good mute study in the pit, a private dressing room or arrive an hour before the theater. Even so, brass instruments always receive murderous eyes.
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
RogerIngram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I recall Roger Ingram saying that when he was playing lead for Woody Herman one of his jobs was to tell players who left their chops in the band room that “Woody can’t hear you. He wants you gone.”

Not really... That's out of context. In many respects, I was left with the task of participating in the hiring and letting go of trumpet players while I was on the band as lead trumpet player. That's the way it usually is/was (at least in those days, when those bands were still in existence and the old-school way of doing things still applied). Flapping, free-buzzing, buzzing on the mouthpiece, playing in the mid-register at medium volumes and doing chromatic runs are, for the most part, how I warm-up. These are the things I recommend for warming-up as well.

Back to Woody: players were hired for the band based on recommendations given by a variety of people, on and off the band. When they didn't work out, when Woody could not hear them enough, when Woody could hear them well enough but didn't like what he heard, when they blew their chops out from over practicing or over doing their warm-up, when they didn't work out for any other reason, as lead trumpet player, it was sometimes my job to be the messenger of bad news, no matter who hired them. Usually, I would try to pull the coat of a new player by advising them not to over do it when it came to warming-up or practicing in the hotel room on days when we performed. I wanted them to work out. I hated being the messenger of bad news. But that was the old-school way of doing things. It was my section, and I was responsible for it. If the section didn't sound good, I got the heat. So... I learned a lot during those years about which warm-ups worked, and which ones didn't.
MY BOOK: http://onetootree.com/Books
FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/RogerIngramTrumpet
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss, the Nederlander theater contractor in Detroit. did not like us playing at all in the pit. "you guys make too many mistakes". He did not want to hear trumpets warming-up outside the pit either.

I warmed up with a Harmon mute down this isolated hallway or in other theaters in the boiler room!

On some of the big productions the touring management did not allow any familiar licks in the pit before the show. This was an unwritten rule so the second trumpet and I would occasionally play that James Brown I feel good breakdown lick up to F# just to piss them off. (when our boss was away in Florida which was most of the time!)

Good times!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find players like that concerning... aren't we as musicians striving to be sensative to the music, our fellow musicians and the audience?

The guys that do this show me that they either don't care or aren't paying attention to their surroundings.
Puts me off-I don't want to work with the selfish nor oblivious players.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: