• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing above “middle F”

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, Just curious at how your skype lesson went with Charlie Porter. I have to believe that you were able to get set on the right track. Please post again. Thanks.
ethan.hp780

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should probably just find a private lesson teacher
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan.hp780 wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't suggest he place five one-sentence, insincere posts in a single day, thinking that will make people like him and want to buy what he would like to put up for sale in the Trumpet Herald Marketplace.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ben Woodruff"]I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to reply to me here. It is easy to...

I think the first hurdle I need to overcome is setting up a proper embouchure. I've been watching Charlie Porter's YouTube video on the subject and I think some of the tips he offers may be helpful. Up until now I've always just put the horn to my lips without too much (any) conscious process involved. I see he does offer online lessons, so he may be a good pick. Anyone have an experience working with him via Skype? His YouTube videos seem top notch and I like the way he explains things.[/quote

Took me years of struggle to find an embouchure / aperture setting that works hi and low, then I found aaaah- ooooh. Check this out before you spend on skype, this starts at the beginning and corrects many misconceptions you may have by example.
https://mysterytomastery.com/windworks-pricing/
Try this, it stopped my internet search for trumpet knowledge for the most part.
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
ethan.hp780 wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't suggest he place five one-sentence, insincere posts in a single day, thinking that will make people like him and want to buy what he would like to put up for sale in the Trumpet Herald Marketplace.

I know this is off-topic and has been discussed many times, but has anyone noticed how much of this kind of activity has been happening recently? Seems like every day there are more ads from five-posters.

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but since you’re on the subject I do have 6 pro level vintage horns in mint shape for sale.....
Rod
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
ethan.hp780 wrote:

That would be too easy.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
ethan.hp780 wrote:

That would be too easy.

But the response was actually a good suggestion. I hate it when people post inane questions that have been posted a million times before just to get to the #. People ALWAYS take these seriously and we do a few pages of the same old spizz, that aggravates me cause I get caught in it too.
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Betelgeuse215 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
ethan.hp780 wrote:

That would be too easy.

But the response was actually a good suggestion. I hate it when people post inane questions that have been posted a million times before just to get to the #. People ALWAYS take these seriously and we do a few pages of the same old spizz, that aggravates me cause I get caught in it too.
Rod

There are obviously many members here who are not bothered by the five-posters, I guess they either ignore their ads or don’t care....which is fine. But
since it seems especially lately that we’re deluged by this stuff, why not change the minimum to 15? At least it would become more time consuming for these guys to treat this place like Craigslist.

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that makes a lot of sense to me. I would even suggest 25 or 50. Then when you see an add and read descriptions you have a better sense of where they are coming from and if the person describing them has a clue. That’s just my opinion. I just hate seeing the same old tired questions discussed ad finitum.
Rod
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Have to say that makes a lot of sense to me. I would even suggest 25 or 50. Then when you see an add and read descriptions you have a better sense of where they are coming from and if the person describing them has a clue. That’s just my opinion. I just hate seeing the same old tired questions discussed ad finitum.
Rod

Not to be devil's advocate, but I'd rather see 5 useless posts than 15, 25 or ( God help us) 50. All we need is for some knucklehead to find a way to automate large numbers of junk posts, then all hope would be lost.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:

I think the first hurdle I need to overcome is setting up a proper embouchure. I've been watching Charlie Porter's YouTube video on the subject and I think some of the tips he offers may be helpful. Up until now I've always just put the horn to my lips without too much (any) conscious process involved. I see he does offer online lessons, so he may be a good pick. Anyone have an experience working with him via Skype? His YouTube videos seem top notch and I like the way he explains things.

Took me years of struggle to find an embouchure / aperture setting that works hi and low, then I found aaaah- ooooh. Check this out before you spend on skype, this starts at the beginning and corrects many misconceptions you may have by example.
https://mysterytomastery.com/windworks-pricing/
Try this, it stopped my internet search for trumpet knowledge for the most part.

Rod

Rod and I seem to be in sync about Greg Spence's Mystery to Mastery (and WindWorks).

It would be hard to describe the amount of reading and study that I've done on trumpet pedagogy and the truly great teachers with whom I have had lessons (50 years ago and very recently) -- and I filter and combine all of that as I'm still trying to progress -- but Greg Spence's videos (free and paid -- and a Skype lesson) are a very large part of finally finding an ease and efficiency of playing.

There are different ways to play the trumpet -- some, almost diametrically opposed -- that can be equally successful for certain players,

Nearly anyone reading this could benefit, as did I sometime over the past 14 months, from lessons with George Rawlin, Jeff Smiley, Clint McLaughlin, and Jim Manley ← I incorporate their wisdom, knowledge, methods, and approaches every day. However, a lesson, or more, with Spence and access to his video series comes real close to one-stop shopping.

To Rod's aaaah - ooooh, I will elaborate --- mmmmm - aaaah - ooooh - too-too-too-too-too - too-too-too-too-too. Watch Spence's videos -- it'll make sense.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: