• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Boosey & Hawkes 607

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nismology

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Boosey & Hawkes 607 Reply with quote

Hi all, first-time poster here!

I recently took a punt on Gumtree at an old but interesting looking trumpet for £30. It's a 1970s Boosey & Hawkes 607, and it certainly is an interesting instrument!

It is really easy to play and incredibly responsive, and has hands down the best valve action I've ever felt to boot. It feels very solidly made and is a delight to hold. Soundwise, it has a rather mellow tone, but with a lot of clarity. It's fairly cornet-like compared to my Strad and Yamaha Custom.

I'm keen to hear if anyone has any information on this particular model. It appears to be very similar to the B&H 606 and Besson Crescendo trumpets, but with an added 1st valve slide thumb saddle and a pinky ring as opposed to a hook. Interestingly, it also looks remarkably similar in design to the later and higher-end B&H 906/907 Sovereign trumpet, from the limited pictures I can find online. Dawkes Music have parts listed for a '607 Concord' trumpet, and the available parts match the ones on my trumpet.

It's certainly a keeper, and a beautiful horn to play, so I'm not so much interested in valuation! British-made trumpets of this caliber seem to have very low resale value compared to their American counterparts.

Here are some photos of my trumpet for reference (Link)

And a picture of someone else's Sovereign trumpet for comparison (Link)

Cheers,

Phil
B&H 607
Getzen 300
A6ST (Reynolds Variant)
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know where the 1s valve saddle on my Selmer Radial came from... I asked for something else and they gave me that.
nismology

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Now I know where the 1s valve saddle on my Selmer Radial came from... I asked for something else and they gave me that.

You don't like it? I find it to be very ergonomic
B&H 607
Getzen 300
A6ST (Reynolds Variant)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: