• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a new horn and quick bio (new guy here)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersonengineering wrote:
NEW CONTENT!

i hope it is ok if i am keeping this thread open, if not, kindly let meknow.

i cleaned the trumpet REALLY well, followed procedure, but now my first valve is much slower.i did not submerge it, just cleaned the bottom part (for lack of a better term) where the ports (again for lack of a better term) were and oiled like normal.

the rest of the trumpet was bathed.

could i have damaged something? i didn't drop the valve or anything or ding it on anything, it is requiring valve oil every hour or so of play. bad oil? its Blessing brand if that matters?

on a more cheerful note, i am progressing well, i am under the care of a nice gentlemen guiding me on my studies. unfortunately i can get 15 minutes out of him a week, but at least i am not picking up bad habits according to him. i am able to get the high G effortlessly, tonguing is good for the most part, not so much the soft. BUT i am progressing.

i am not really looking for a new horn anymore happy where i am as long as the slow valve gets figured out.

my next horn will be a flugel horn though for sure. down the road.

Make sure you clean the valve cap, casing and the first valve slide ports, too.

As far as having more than one horn, I'm a guitar player myself, so I understand the temptation. But guitars are more special purpose. On trumpet, especially when you're learning, it's better to stick to one. Changes in setup are a distraction.
Tritone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok to submerge the whole valve -- if possible you may want to remove the felts (if you have felts) from the valve first, but even if you don't they will dry out later.

You will want to disassemble the whole horn when you bathe it -- not clear whether you did that or not (you mentioned that you "followed procedure").

As for the new slowness, you may still have "gunk" remaining within the ports of the horn. Many of us use a gentle cleaning device like a "Brass Saver" to clean all the ports in the horn AND in each valve, to dislodge material that may be lurking there.

You'll want to make sure you've oiled the valve well. And make sure you haven't accidentally gotten slide grease on the valve - that's thick and good for slides but far too thick (slow) for valves.

You'll also want to make sure that you have rinsed the valve really well to remove any soap/detergent before you put it back in the cylinder -- any residual soap/detergent will dissipate the oil.

And you'll want to make sure you don't have any lint, hair or fuzz (like from your case) on the valve. Things like this can be hard to see when the valve is glistening with oil -- if you don't see anything obvious you may want to rinse/bathe your valve anyway. And maybe rinse the whole horn again, to be certain that you've completely removed any such offenders.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersonengineering wrote:
i cleaned the trumpet REALLY well, followed procedure, but now my first valve is much slower.i did not submerge it, just cleaned the bottom part (for lack of a better term) where the ports (again for lack of a better term) were and oiled like normal.

the rest of the trumpet was bathed.

could i have damaged something? i didn't drop the valve or anything or ding it on anything, it is requiring valve oil every hour or so of play. bad oil? its Blessing brand if that matters?

Possible causes of a slow 1st valve after cleaning.
- Failure to scrub out the cylinders. Not everybody has good tools for doing that.
- Dust or debris from a towel or cloth got into the cylinder
- Dislodged some crud without removing it so that it now interferes. Make sure you scrub out the tiny tubes that exist between the cylinders.
- Scrubbing the pistons produced a burr that extends out from the plane of the cylinder. Sounds odd but I've actualy had it happen.
- Incompatible oil. Try another.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tritone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress with the valve?
GideonJazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the King and don't worry about a new horn. If that first valve still sticking have a good repairman look at it.
jrd19580

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the others said.....Practice and lessons AND I would have your King serviced...Valve alignment etc..

It will help your development greatly if you are not fighting the horn along with trying to learn to play the trumpet properly. I learned this the hard way after fighting with several horns I finally bought a horn that was serviced properly and it is night and day as far as the practice being more productive and less exhausting, and the whole process of learning to play the trumpet was much more enjoyable.

I am a converted Baritone/Valve Trombone player, and I had to learn to read Treble Clef on top of learning to play the trumpet. I have a great teacher and he has been very patient with me through the whole process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: