• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many trumpets do you have

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 horns less

I recently sold a Getzen 900 Eterna, Olds L.A. Super and my ol' Bach 180/37

So now 'just' 3 Getzens, one Bach, a Conn and a MelodyMaker but who knows...
illegalbugler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 Schilke (and #13 is on order)
4 Kanstul
1 Benge
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Bb (two to play, two for memories)
1 C
1 piccolo
1 natural/baroque (or does that count as two)
1 bugle (Bb)
1 Bass
(1 trombone, but I guess that does not count!)
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to up my count now, having purchased their last C Cornet from the Kanstul webpage specials. What an awesome horn it is too, but now I really have to pare down the stable. I guess I am a cornet freak.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: ONE TRUMPET and two cornets Reply with quote

Currently owe a Getzen Capri trumpet, Getzen Capri cornet and a King 605 cornet. I am selling the King 605 cornet on ebay.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: ONE TRUMPET and two cornets Reply with quote

One trumpet: a Getzen Capri trumpet. Two cornets: Getzen Capri cornet and a King 605 cornet. I am selling the King 605 cornet on ebay.

Don't know why but I want to have a trumpet and cornet of the same brand and model.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

A fun discussion and I hope my post doesn't appear too smart, nor bitter, a response.

Should the question not be; how many trumpets do you have and how many do you actually do justice to?

I think that's a fair question, and I jokingly a alluded to this in my initial reply. But I agree with you that this is more of a fun thread.

I suppose there are different reasons for owning multiple horns. Some do it because they are required for their playing requirements. Other might be collectors or might be flipping horns. In my case, it's more for sentimental reasons. Of the horns I listed, 3 get regular play, 3 or 4 get occasional play, the rest are there, I suppose, for sentimental reasons.

Claude1949 wrote:
I agree, & I'll go "one better" why don't we each post a recording of our trumpet-playing ability & actually HEAR who can play (or not). I have posted more than 5 recordings on these boards ...

Hi Claude1949. We're both in Maryland, but I don't think we've connected locally. I sent you a PM.

I think you ask a fair question. But I'm not sure you'll find a correlation between how well someone plays and how many horns they have. Also, if expertise was required for ownership, I would have been forced to turn in my golf clubs a long time ago.

Mike

LSOfanboy is the one who asked as to "doing justice" to the horns one has.....So, talk is cheap, let's put up the recordings, no?
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

A fun discussion and I hope my post doesn't appear too smart, nor bitter, a response.

Should the question not be; how many trumpets do you have and how many do you actually do justice to?

I think that's a fair question, and I jokingly a alluded to this in my initial reply. But I agree with you that this is more of a fun thread.

I suppose there are different reasons for owning multiple horns. Some do it because they are required for their playing requirements. Other might be collectors or might be flipping horns. In my case, it's more for sentimental reasons. Of the horns I listed, 3 get regular play, 3 or 4 get occasional play, the rest are there, I suppose, for sentimental reasons.

Claude1949 wrote:
I agree, & I'll go "one better" why don't we each post a recording of our trumpet-playing ability & actually HEAR who can play (or not). I have posted more than 5 recordings on these boards ...

Hi Claude1949. We're both in Maryland, but I don't think we've connected locally. I sent you a PM.

I think you ask a fair question. But I'm not sure you'll find a correlation between how well someone plays and how many horns they have. Also, if expertise was required for ownership, I would have been forced to turn in my golf clubs a long time ago.

Mike

Mike- Have not received any PMs....? Where are you in Maryland? I'm right next to the National Harbor. Send me an email at claudemayra@verizon.net
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

Claude1949 wrote:

Mike

LSOfanboy is the one who asked as to "doing justice" to the horns one has.....So, talk is cheap, let's put up the recordings, no?

Yup, no is the answer.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Mike- Have not received any PMs....? Where are you in Maryland? I'm right next to the National Harbor.

Hi Claude. I just saw your PM. I'm in central Maryland, about halfway between DC and Baltimore.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Gawis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 bflat (Yamaha 4000 series, Thomann cornet) and Thomann TR 200 Bb-Trumpet to be delivered any day soon.
Brodydog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 trumpets if I include my cornet and pocket trumpet
gsgleason

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I keep finding interesting horns that I keep buying, despite not really having the skill to assess them. I'm stupid.

I still have my near mind 6310Z Yamaha from high school (20 years ago).

I decided to 'come back' so to speak, so I piced up a banged up late 70s Bach Strad 37 for $800 which I've been practicing on.

I picked up a 50s Beuscher Aristocrat 207 for $100 and a Yamaha 6320S (similar to my Z but with a ML bore) for $600, which after receiving was clearly too much due to the bent and dented lead pipe, but at least it went to a (somewhat) good cause (goodwill).

I also bought a used yamaha 2320 for my first grader of CL for $125. He's been talking about wanting a trumpet for a while, and I'm all for having musical instruments available in the house for kids to play, so I got that and showed him a few things, explained how to care for it, etc, and that it's essentially his to play whenever he wants.
robcs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 months ago I was a comeback player with just 1 horn: my Jupiter cornet.

Now it seems I’ve got the bug:

2 trumpets:
Bach 180S37 is my day-to-day horn
Jupiter 600ML is my backup for gigs where there’s some sort of physical risk lol - outdoor, confined spaces, free-range kids, etc. I actually prefer the valves in this to the Bach. They are incredibly fast and quiet. The Bach valves seem clunky by comparison

2 cornets:
Jupiter 520 Bb
Kawai Eb soprano

On my shopping list for this year:
Eb/D trumpet
C trumpet
I’m also on the waiting list for the Intenational Trumpet Workshop to go and make a baroque trumpet from scratch
I’ll probably end up getting a pocket trumpet too for when I travel.
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the ridiculous number, o just picked up a DEG piccolo trumpet. Everything that others say about them is represented in this horn. Mmmmmm.

Cheers

Andy
trumbachpet

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: How many horns do you own Reply with quote

As a comeback player, I have been captivated by the histories of vintage horns. Even though I have Dillon's nearby, I don't think you can tell if you really like a horn by spending 15 minutes with it on your face, but it can peak your interest. I have gone through 50-60 horns in the last 5 years to get down to the list of less than 10 (by mutual consent with my wife) that I play in rotation, 1-2 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's what I do since I retired.

My only reservation is that the excellent horns in some people's collections are not out there for other people to try. I have bought many in the past that needed work, had it done, played them for awhile, then put them out for sale. It's been my way of preserving the past for future generations. Different horns work best for me in the different groups I play in, and other players that are still playing their Bachs from High School, get a chance to try something different.
I love taking care of my horns and look forward to playing each one. This motivates me to practice, to keep getting better and enjoy the making of music in the midst of the groups I play in and the pleasure of sharing that music with others in concerts.
'57 Olds Studio Cornet
'78 York Cornet
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down to 5 trumpets and 6 cornets
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 or 8 cant remember
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nine trumpets.

Six Bb's (one a slide trumpet), one C, one D/Eb, and one picc.

(Pay no attention to the six cornets, two flugels, one alto horn, four trombones, one baritone horn, and one tuba.)

(Or the Olds valve trombone and Schilke flugel a friend asked me to store for him some years ago.)
trpthawaii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bb's: Scodwell, Bach 190-37, Bach Sterling-plus 37, Shires Destino III, Adams A9
Cornet: 1920's York, 1940's NY Bach
Flugels: 1960's Vintage Couesnon, Adams F5, Callet Jazz, Miraphone 4 rotary valve
Piccolos: Selmer, Scherzer
C: Bach 229-25H, Scodwell
D/Eb: Bach 189 long bell, Scodwell frankenhorn
MIDI: Steiner MIDI EVI, Morrison Digital Trumpet

Mark Minasian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: