• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bells for SCHILKE E3L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Bells for SCHILKE E3L Reply with quote

I own a Schilke E3L and really enjoy the Eflat side of this horn. The D side however plays not as well, and stuffy. Can anyone suggest a good bell to get for this horn for the D side, and recommend a tech to do the job well?

Thanks
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Jacob Hoskins from Bajoc Music build an orchestral Eb bell for my E3L earlier this year. I opted to go with a bell from O'Malley Brass Instruments (https://www.omalleyhorns.com/) that is based on a Marcinkiewicz #4 Bb bell mandrel. O'Malley was able to take measurements I made of my E3L bell dimensions and bend the bell crook to fit. I was also able to specify bell bead options with them as well. Jake then did a great job soldering and fitting all of the tuning bell bits to the bell and fitting it to my horn.

As others have described on TH, stock C-trumpet bells from Bach require re-bending the bell crook to fit the Schilke horn or require trimming the bell tube receiver on the horn which I didn't want to do.

I'm sure there are many other shops out there that can do this as well (Landress, Melk, etc) but wanted to give Jake a shout out for his work which was fantastic. https://bajocmusic.com/about/
trptdave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a professional player who uses an E3-L for those purposes.

I recommend Charlie Melk of charliesbrassworks.com

I have an E3-L. I purchased a Bach 239g for the D side based on his recommendation. He did not have to alter the E3-L in any way so I can still use the original bells that came with the horn if I want.

I don't know what he does to make it fit, but it works for me. He also made other recommendations such as valve alignment, venturi, etc that made it better for me. Everyone is different so YMMV.
Melk Custom Bb
Melk Custom C
Melk Eb Conversion
Schilke XA1
Schilke P5-4
Schilke 1041L
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for a 239 bell on the D side. I added one to the E3L I used to own. It had both the standard and B (?2) bell in the Eb side.

For me, the 239 was a great option. The originals were way too small and nasal, both sides, and the bigger bell from Schilke made intonation just crazy. It took everything to keep it under control.

I eventually just got Eb/D instruments designed to have bigger bells.
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Eflat bell Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I plan to get a Bach 239 bell for the D side of my trumpet. Would you suggest the same for the Eflat side, or perhaps a 229?

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: