• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kawai Eb cornet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Kawai Eb cornet? Reply with quote

There is a Kawai E flat cornet for sale. I have never heard of this make doing wind instruments, much less trumpets. Can anyone who is played one of these speak to its quality?
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Kawai Eb cornet Reply with quote

Hello,
I have owned a Yamaha and currently have a Schilke. I would not own any other. You get what you pay for. If you can get it on trial, you can come on down to Eugene and play mine for comparison,though I am sure somebody up in Portland should have one...I bought a student Bach Eb trumpet once just to get an Eb. It was the most out of tune horn I have ever played..It was not just me...
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the sentiment of previous poster (though having played eclipse, stomvi and blackburn, I can't say I'd limit myself to his two preferred brands...)

Honestly, any instrument with subpar intonation is a handicap and soprano cornets are very difficult to get right - and as parts are demanding, that handicap represents a serious barrier to enjoyment.

Never buy a sop blind and always try a few to find something that suits you.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kawai Eb cornet Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello,
I have owned a Yamaha and currently have a Schilke. I would not own any other. You get what you pay for. If you can get it on trial, you can come on down to Eugene and play mine for comparison,though I am sure somebody up in Portland should have one...I bought a student Bach Eb trumpet once just to get an Eb. It was the most out of tune horn I have ever played..It was not just me...

Well i don't know anyone who has one. If you're offering I'll have to make the trip. Thanks for the heads up on the Kawai. It's pretty, but also an unknown make for brass, but even Yamahas of that era were awful so I'm sure it is too. I bet it's as bad or worse than the Chinese stuff. By then I'd be stuck with it. I look forward to meeting you some day.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, I can't speak to the quality from personal experience, but if you do end up getting it on trial, feel free to bring it in to Wally's Music in Oregon City, we can take a look at it and tell you what kind of quality you're looking at from a construction standpoint. Unfortunately we don't currently have any Eb cornets in stock, or I would offer an alternative option. Definitely take Christian up on his generous offer, you'll get to play a nice horn and make a friend all in one trip!
Lidl Brno Bb Rotary Flugelhorn
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
khuelsman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Schilke all the way Reply with quote

I’ve got the Schilke E3L and haven’t found another make/model that matches it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: