• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anecdotes and stories about legends of the instrument

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Anecdotes and stories about legends of the instrument Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have always been interested about hearing anecdotes or stories about the true legends of the instruments and any particular performances or playing habits that they had, especially from people who were lucky enough to play with them, or be closely affiliated in some way. Only positive things though!

My addition, and whilst I was not alive at the time have heard the story from several sources close to him, is about the late Maurice Murphy. A true legend amongst brass players, and almost universally adored by those who had the privilege of playing with him.

The story goes that the LSO were performing a concert in London (I'm afraid I don't know the dates but would imagine 80s based on the overlapping careers of my sources) and the programme contained a new commission by a composer who was to conduct his piece during the concert. The work had a substantial Bb Piccolo part written for Maurice. He played it fantastically throughout the rehearsals on the small trumpet. On the night of the concert Maurice played the part as well as he ever had, so much so that conductor rushed to find him afterwards and heartily congratulated him on such a characterful and powerful performance of the part. Maurice was humble and graceful as ever, but after the composer had left, Murphy turned to his brass colleagues, a glint in his eyes, and (I paraphrase as the intent has differed from source to source) said 'I forgot/left my Piccolo at home today, but seems like I got away with it!'.

Maurice had done the entire concert on the Bb trumpet and, such was his accuracy and unique character of sound, even the composer himself had not noticed, and had in fact congratulated him on such tremendous Piccolo playing! A true legend of the instrument!

As I say, this isn't first hand information but I have heard it from several sources so there is certainly more than some truth in it. If anyone has a different account of this story they are welcome to correct me!

It would be great to hear other stories of legends, past or present, any members have!

All the best
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! Was and still a huge fan of Mr. Murphy, rip.

Love this thread and hope people participate.

I don't have the story nor am I the original teller but I was interested to hear more about Bill Adam's sound and how it would make the shutters/blinds move in his house as witnessed by his students? In comparison to even famous professionals who when playing to copy mr. Adam did not also move said object.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Met Maynard, once. On the way from Denton (UNT) to a Ft. Worth concert, I discovered malt liquor, not knowing it was stronger than weak beer. Drank a whole six pac en-route. Saw two Maynards for the price of one.

Maynard was giving autogtaphs so I joined in. When I got to Maynard, still drunk and fumbling around, all I could find was the back of my GF's photo. He was amused.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from a post a few weeks ago:
cbtj51 wrote:

I once saw Freddie Hubbard presenting a clinic to a group of maybe 200 musicians at Southern University, New Orleans in the early 80s. His Calicchio somehow didn't make it from the airport, so he borrowed a horn from one of the attendees, a Bach Strad with a totally different mouthpiece than what he was currently playing, as I recall. Oh, and Ellis Marsalis, Wynton's Dad was sitting a few spaces down from me in the audience. Freddie blew a few notes, looked at the horn the way many of us do when playing a strange horn, kicked off the Trio and proceeded to blow us all away for the next hour! He told stories and took questions, appeared very relaxed, in total control and was a showman throughout.

Part of being that level of a Professional I would suppose: When it's raining junk, pull out your junkproof umbrella and get on to the business at hand!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took Jimmy Nottingham Pocket Trumpet shopping. I had one, he saw mine and wanted one for himself. What blew me away was that, instead of playing it himself, he wanted me to test-play the trumpets. I was pretty humbled.

There are other stories concerning Manny Klien, Ray Triscari, Mano's Russian Restaurant, a cross dresser and massage parlor which I can not post!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago in Spain, Andrea Tofanelli was having dinner before her recital. He ate original spicy food from the region. He started the concert and after placing his horn in his mouth, he went to the band and stopped the concert. He said: my lip does not respond, I can not play. At that time he went out to play Rex Richardson. When rex go his recital, Andrea tried to play very soft in the dressing room. After 30 minutes, Andrea started her concert and it was really amazing. Later, at the party, Andrea said that something like this had never happened to her, but practicing soft notes made magic on her lips. He said no more spicy before a concert !!!
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was BOHUMIR KRYL 1875-1961, now the story goes, that one day young Mr. Kryl was taking a lesson in Chicago and the teacher said to him, Mr. Kryl, when you walk home tonight don't you have to go over by part of Lake Michigan and Bohumir said yes sir, I do. His teacher preceded to say when you get out by the lake I wish you would do yourself, me and the entire world a big favor, and Bohumir Kryl said what's that sir ? His teacher said, when you get out by Lake Michigan you take that horn out of it's case and throw it as far into Lake Michigan as you possibly can, because you will never be a cornet player !
As we know now, Bohumir Kryl became one of the greatest players of all time.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only positive eh? Hmm, thinking of one that's not positive but kind of funny but I'll refrain.

Let's see - one I've posted before that I saw in a comment on a Harry James Youtube video, a guy who walked into Harry James' dressing room during the break at a gig said he found Harry playing Clarke studies wearing nothing but his boxer shorts.

One that was related to me by the late Don Schamber who for many years was the head of the music department at Monterey Peninsula Community College in Monterey, Ca - he was rehearsing the jazz band one day, I'm guessing it was the late 70's and Doc showed up unannounced and asked if he could sit in. He happened to be in the area and was looking to keep his chops tuned up. After he picked his jaw up off the floor Don of course said heck yeah and for a rehearsal they had the strongest lead player they'd ever had. Don said Doc read the charts like he'd been playing them his whole life.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's true..........

I always heard that when Vince DiMartino auditioned for the job at UK he forgot his picc or it got lost in the flight. But he still played the Brandenburg in the right octave.javascript:emoticon('')

He is a monster and produced some fine players and teachers over the years. i remember when Brad Goode and Al Hood and Rob Parton were undergrads there.......
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing in a big band with Jimmy Nottingham (Jimmy was mentioned a few posts above by kehaulani). He was playing the jazz chair, I was on lead. I was warming up and playing some high notes. Jimmy said to me, "you only have a limited amount of those notes son. Don't use them all up now".

I was student at NYU when Kenny Dorham enrolled to get his degree. He borrowed my horn one day and played some bebop licks for a bunch of us. When he gave it back to me, he said to me, "go play that horn now son, while it's still hot!"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Dorham anecdote, LOL! I used to work with a guy who played in a rehearsal band led by Kenny. He said the music business was "so good", Kenny was selling reeds for a living. Sad commentary.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: