• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

¿ What type of mute was it ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: ¿ What type of mute was it ? Reply with quote

In a video recording of the Lucerne Festival Orchestra (Mahler 5/Abbado) I saw a trumpet mute with which I'm not familiar. It appeared to be a smallish straight mute (black, so probably not metal) surrounded by a white fabric that looked like cotton batting. The fabric around the mute seemed to be wedged between the mute and the bell.

What was it?

Hup
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just guessing... modern black straight mutes that I know of: TrumCor Lyric (Lyric Stealth), MuteMeister Straight, or a Bach plastic.

Then some sort of felt, foam or cloth ring around the mute to soften the sound even more. I use this approach more with a crocheted yarn "donut" in a cup mute - excellent in my Warburton Wooden Cup.

Setups like this to help with the extremely soft passages.
Another one that is handy: a Thomas Crown felt bag over the bell and straight mute.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
TonytheTiger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a simple bach (or whatever the brand is) plastic mute, on which was placed a felt ring before inserting in the bell. The ring is not fixed, and you can even make one yourself from old boot felt liners.

Tony
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mute can be seen well at 13:20 and it is an odd one.

Definitely not the Bach ABS mute (designed and manufactured by R. Dale Olson) or any other stock mute. It seems to be covered (sheathed) in a coating of some kind -- perhaps a liquid rubber or Plasti Dip. Definitely looks DIY.

The fabric ring (also DIY) is almost certainly wool felt, not any kind of batting -- looks to be about ¼" and to be more supple than that used for boot liners (or saddle pads).

The player is Reinhold Friedrich.

-Denny
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Marcus Bonna "trumpet straight soft"

http://www.mbcases.com.br/en/products/trumpet-straight-soft-mute/

Great mutes for some stuff. Tiny corks that can't be adjusted, so pitch is a real problem on some bell flares. Terrible on my Bach 37, fine on a 229, okay on the standard Weimann bell and Schagerl Hoersdorf bells.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: