• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Not aware of ‘cornet-specific’ technique — is there an

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightHorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Not aware of ‘cornet-specific’ technique — is there an Reply with quote

I'm picking the cornet after not playing the trumpet for 30 years. I'm having a blast. Saw the Forum topic and thought I'd ask some questions:

1. Is there any significant technique specific to the cornet vs. the trumpet, or is it mostly subtleties? Not that I was ever a connoisseur of trumpet technique; in the absence of competent training when I was young, I just learned by the seat of pants, being very motivated. But now that I'm picking what I can from Arban, and a friend of mine, and a few videos, I do want to be open to proper instruction.

2. I had an experience when I casually picked up a cornet in a store in 2014, and wonder if any of you can validate or make sense of it: As I said, I played trumpet through my first year of college, then gave it up. About 8 years ago, I walked in to Sam Ash here in NYC and picked up a trumpet. In the soundproof room, I realized not only did I have no chops, I couldn't even get out a squeal. It was pathetic, and to me it was a sign I'd never play again.

However, in 2014, I picked up a cornet at Sam Ash, a vintage YCR-231 in extremely good condition. This time in the soundproof room, I was very surprised I could get out real notes (and of course I remembered my fingerings), and realized I was not finished as a horn player.

I put the horn on layaway, and after faithfully paying for it, took it home. I'm now taking it out every day, noodling around, gradually running through simply Arban exercises, and carefully getting my chops back in shape.

So this is my question: Is there something about the cornet's semi-conical shape, vs. the trumpet's cylindrical shape that makes playing a bit easier? Or was this in my imagination?

Your thoughts are welcome.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Cornets vs. Trumpets Reply with quote

According to Robb Stewart (link: https://www.robbstewart.com/difference-between-trumpet-and-cornet/), modern cornets and modern trumpets are basically the same instrument with different tubing wraps. I know many disagree, and I share Mr. Stewart's opinion with all due respect to those who are required to play instruments with the Shepherd's Crook wrap in certain situations. Having written that, the more conical the tubing of a brass instrument, the more forgiving it is to play.

Last edited by Didymus on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
KnightHorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Now I have more questions Reply with quote

Didymus, thank you for the interesting link. I am learning more about trumpets and cornets than I ever did when I played.

I was curious about the old Courtois illustration in the article listing several horns, with references to various crooks, e.g., the C trumpet with B natural, B flat and A crooks. The Besson 1910 illustration also showed horns pictured with extra crooks.

In the past, were trumpets made with additional slides that could be swapped out to turn a C trumpet to a B flat trumpet? Which slide was it? By the illustration, they look too large to be the third slides. I take it that would be the tuning slide at the end nearest the mouthpiece.

Would it be possible that with an additional slide, I could effectively turn my B flat cornet into a C cornet? If I pull out my tuning slide to lower the pitch one-half step, would that be an effective conversion?
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Multi Key Trumpets/Cornets Reply with quote

I'm just a comeback player with no real expertise. As far as I could tell, it was once common for instrument makers to make trumpets and cornets which could play in various keys. Those older instruments often had extra sets of tuning slides, valve slides, and leadpipe extensions to accomplish this. Others came with crooks or leadpipe extensions and markings on the valve slides to indicate where to pull them to. Newer instruments most commonly are built to play in one key, sometimes two if it's a smaller instrument. Here and there you can find some new piccolo trumpets which can play in 3 keys.

The French Besson design for the modern instrument can be configured to play in either Bb or A, simply by pulling all 4 slides out by certain amounts. Pre-war manufacturers would sometimes make trumpets/cornets with "fast change to A" levers which pulled and set the slides for you. Some new instruments can still do this with varying results even if the manufacturer doesn't say it's possible; in one way I guess you can consider it to be a deprecated feature of that particular trumpet design.

(All the experienced players I have spoken to say it's more reliable to learn how to make the transposition from Bb to A instead of pulling the slides.)

Vincent Bach used to sell optional slides for their C trumpets to convert them into Bb trumpets. All the experienced players on this board who have tried those slides say that the resulting Bb trumpet has horrible intonation. Until recently, Vincent Bach also used to offer a fast change to A option lever for its Bb trumpets. I don't see it in their catalog anymore.

As for your specific question, you would have to cut down the valve slides and leadpipe of your Bb cornet to make it into a C cornet. Then somehow craft a set of slides or spacers you can switch to in order to return the instrument to Bb. Not worth it, IMO. Simply buy a C cornet when you think you're ready. I'm unsure if the model cornet you have can be "pulled to A" since it's not a French Besson design.
KnightHorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my question was more theoretical — I have no interest in actually converting my own horn. I find this all fascinating because this is the first time in my life I am really learning about my horn, what it is meant to do, how it achieves that, the construction, care, etc.

Since I met my phantom trumpet player (see my thread in the Comeback form), he’s pointed me in so many good directions. The biggest lessons were 1] read Arban and master the exercises; and 2] start carefully and gradually build your embouchure so you don’t injure it. He also got me to pick up the remaining accessories I needed to take care of my horn. (This guy is an amazing player; has recorded with Wynton Marsalis, plays at Live at Lincoln Center and all over the world, and is not only an incredible player, but but a generous person and a good friend.)

It is great to learn from people like you who can point me in the direction of information. Thanks.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Lots of experience on this board. Reply with quote

There are quite a few participants on this message board who know a lot about the history of the trumpet & cornet, about the different designs manufacturers used over the last 100+ years..... I wish one of them could or will comment on this thread.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.....

To take the first question re; a "specific technique"; it really depends on several variables, namely, where you are playing your cornet,...what 'type' of cornet playing you do,.....what level are you playing at.

Taking this at it's highest aim and assuming that we are discussing the cornet soloists of the worlds top brass bands here in the UK then we can look at some very specific techniques and methodology that is unlikley to be on the radar of, say, a skilled trumpet player in a symphony orchestra in the US.

Perhaps more important than any technique is the 'style' required by top cornet exponents...and this DOES impact on specific techniques. to mention but one example area, many trumpet players in non-orchestral ensembles play with a rich 'smoky' style which actually requires the inner body of the lip to vibrate ....many top cornet soloists are bound by UK band playing and require a crisp articulation which usually happens with the outside 'edge' of the lip being very important......

To move swiftly on to your last question about conical shape......many modern makers (especially in the US) have a very different view of cornet needs to top solo players so there has been a tendency for them to use many common components between their cornet and trumpet models...However, please note that in a 'real' cornet the leadpipe is conical for a much longer length than in many modern trumpets....In my 'round stamp' B&H Sovereign cornet the leadpipe is 14 inches between the mpc receiver and the waterkey...in many/most trumpets the tapered/conical length from mpc to tuning slide is about 8 inches. also note that the 'gap' is crucial to good facility and tunefulness in trumpets but a cornet does not have a 'gap'.....

Enough for a start....
KnightHorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My takeaway from this, so far, is that as a Comeback player who used to play trumpet and is now picking up the cornet — and who was never really provided what I would call any competent training or knowledge of the horn (I was motivated and musical and picked up what I needed on my own), for someone like me, the difference in a cornet and trumpet are, for now, negligible. I should just focus on becoming the best horn player I can, hitting my Arban and gradually building my facility and my chops. I suppose one day once I’ve got my chops back, if I pick up a trumpet I will learn to adjust to the specific horn. And I’m guessing most of the techniques I’ll learn will be applicable to the trumpet, if I ever decided to pick it up again (although I really love the cornet).
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't emphasise enough that there really is NO similarity between being a good cornet player and being a good trumpet player.....In many ways these are musical contradictions.......

........Why no try to be the best cornet player you can be?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My takeaway from this, so far, is that as a Comeback player who used to play trumpet and is now picking up the cornet — and who was never really provided what I would call any competent training or knowledge of the horn (I was motivated and musical and picked up what I needed on my own), for someone like me, the difference in a cornet and trumpet are, for now, negligible. I should just focus on becoming the best horn player I can

Two things come to mind. You are playing a cornet, not a horn. Way different animal. If you ever play horn, you may never turn back. I spend 95% of my time on horn and the rest on, well, the rest.

Cornets are for those who value sweet beauty and gentle music making. Trumpets are for making loud noise. Don't worry about it. Play the cornet and find that sweet, gentle place that only cornet players find. Enjoy.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: not aware of cornet specific technique Reply with quote

I like Richard III comment and I agree from personal experience. I had limited experence playing cornet until I went to college and landed a seat in symphonic band. The director favored six cornets and a 1st, and 2nd trumpet. We were given Getzen Etermas. so that became my use horn every day. I ended up playing the cornet for my juries and other things while I stayed in school. I found the cornet to be easier to master technical passages on (for whatever reason), and the trumpet was a joy once a week in lab band. Some months ago I bought a slightly used trumpet and started up again after nearly 20 years. A friend had sent me a vintage King cornet. The cornet opened up easier to me than the trumpet through the low to high range, but the horn needs a valve job. I love playing the cornet and loved being part of a section in college where there was a uniformity of sound from the horns. I am, however, a trumpet lover and deep in my heart I keep wanting to play and hearing Maynard Ferguson's Chameleon or Bill Chase's "Get it On." Both horns have a definite following and use. In the end I love the big bold sound of the trumpet. You are making music on a cornet just the same, Enjoy what you have got!!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though Bob Stevenson is completely right in respect of the top of the BBB scene there are only tiny minor unimportant technical differences between trumpet and cornet for the less ambitious. Biggest difference could be the mouthpiece you want to use on the cornet and probably you will need some stylistic adaption to the cornet.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Not aware of ‘cornet-specific’ technique — is ther Reply with quote

KnightHorn wrote:
I'm picking the cornet after not playing the trumpet for 30 years. I'm having a blast. Saw the Forum topic and thought I'd ask some questions:

1. Is there any significant technique specific to the cornet vs. the trumpet, or is it mostly subtleties? Not that I was ever a connoisseur of trumpet technique; in the absence of competent training when I was young, I just learned by the seat of pants, being very motivated. But now that I'm picking what I can from Arban, and a friend of mine, and a few videos, I do want to be open to proper instruction.

2. I had an experience when I casually picked up a cornet in a store in 2014, and wonder if any of you can validate or make sense of it: As I said, I played trumpet through my first year of college, then gave it up. About 8 years ago, I walked in to Sam Ash here in NYC and picked up a trumpet. In the soundproof room, I realized not only did I have no chops, I couldn't even get out a squeal. It was pathetic, and to me it was a sign I'd never play again.

However, in 2014, I picked up a cornet at Sam Ash, a vintage YCR-231 in extremely good condition. This time in the soundproof room, I was very surprised I could get out real notes (and of course I remembered my fingerings), and realized I was not finished as a horn player.

I put the horn on layaway, and after faithfully paying for it, took it home. I'm now taking it out every day, noodling around, gradually running through simply Arban exercises, and carefully getting my chops back in shape.

So this is my question: Is there something about the cornet's semi-conical shape, vs. the trumpet's cylindrical shape that makes playing a bit easier? Or was this in my imagination?

Your thoughts are welcome.

I side with Bob S. There is a huge difference in attitudes playing these very different animals. Being very very (not so say extremely) far from Britain´s top level brass band cornetists I´m exposed to the dilemma of trying to combine these horns. Playing lead trumpet in a big band and playing solo cornet in as brass band highlights the differences; attack, sound quality, different mpc:s (yes a significant variable), way of phrasing, to play exactly like the other 4 guys in the front row, whereas you will have the trumpetsection to follow you), never "stick out",always blend in, contrary to the lead concept and many many other variables.
Then the very build of these horns differ; seen from my amateur viewpoint I would say that the tubing of the cornet allows for a much broader sound spectrum, more lower frequencies and so forth.
Of course you could try playing the trumpet in a "cornetty" way but that would be "fake"....and never the real thing. Obvious and subtle differences.
Hard to tell which horn is the easiest one to play; I would say the cornet is easier, but then I´m not Hardenberger. Easier and for me quicker - but I´ve played a lot more cornet than trumpet in my lif so who am I to know!
I could express this very naively as "there is a lot more room in the cornet hence you can walk around more easily without bumping into something".
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, this composition by mr. Bellstedt is written for trumpet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWzhIB58hE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em0TsuM5pyU
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am respectful of that.

Personally I disagree with a number of the statements that have been made throughout this thread.

To answer the original question; no, there is no difference in technique between the trumpet and cornet, the harmonic series, valve combinations and general physics of the standing wave are the same for both instruments.

The only difference between the instruments is the sweeter and rounder sound of the cornet (due to the conical bore and use of (generally) a slightly deeper mouthpiece) and the stylistic nuances- which doesn’t actually extend far beyond a different style of vibrato.

I have to say that I wholly disagree with some of the comments that ‘Orchestral players can’t do what brass band players can’- that implies that players such as Gabor Tarkovi or Chris Martin aren’t able to play an air and variation or a lyrical melody....?

What is more, a great deal of (particularly British) Orchestral trumpet players have come from a brass band background (I myself have brass band roots) and I don’t think they would suggest that there are huge differences in style between cornet and trumpet; good lyrical playing and articulation is common to both, as well as musical phrasing and smooth production. James Watson, Maurice Murphy, Phil Cobb, James Fountain and Phil Smith in America all came through brass band upbringings and are all truly wonderful trumpet players.

I accept the point that Big Band lead playing is different to Brass Band playing, but that is more about differences in genre than the instruments themselves- a great lead trumpet player would sound like a great lead trumpet player on a cornet or trumpet. Symphonic playing and Brass Band playing share many similarities. And one could also point out the huge difference in style between Symphonic playing and Big Band lead playing, so I don’t think that is a particularly useful point.

When all is said and done, have a listen and then come back and say whether you think there is a massive difference in terms of the technical and stylistic playing of Richard Marshall, David Daws or Roger Webster and then Symphonic heroes like Tim Morrison, Chris Martin, Gabor Tarkovi, Phil Cobb and Maurice Murphy. Personally I think they all exhibit the facets of fantastic musical players and, subtle differences aside, prove that there is not some vast chasm between cornet and trumpet playing.

Hope this can add to the discussion.

All the best
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I meant with my modest post above. Stylistic, often subtle differences, maybe even important, but no technical big things. Well said.
I'll add one of my favorites, Hans Gansch, yes a real trumpetplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9UmCSc3W2s
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am respectful of that.

Personally I disagree with a number of the statements that have been made throughout this thread.

To answer the original question; no, there is no difference in technique between the trumpet and cornet, the harmonic series, valve combinations and general physics of the standing wave are the same for both instruments.

The only difference between the instruments is the sweeter and rounder sound of the cornet (due to the conical bore and use of (generally) a slightly deeper mouthpiece) and the stylistic nuances- which doesn’t actually extend far beyond a different style of vibrato.

I have to say that I wholly disagree with some of the comments that ‘Orchestral players can’t do what brass band players can’- that implies that players such as Gabor Tarkovi or Chris Martin aren’t able to play an air and variation or a lyrical melody....?

What is more, a great deal of (particularly British) Orchestral trumpet players have come from a brass band background (I myself have brass band roots) and I don’t think they would suggest that there are huge differences in style between cornet and trumpet; good lyrical playing and articulation is common to both, as well as musical phrasing and smooth production. James Watson, Maurice Murphy, Phil Cobb, James Fountain and Phil Smith in America all came through brass band upbringings and are all truly wonderful trumpet players.

I accept the point that Big Band lead playing is different to Brass Band playing, but that is more about differences in genre than the instruments themselves- a great lead trumpet player would sound like a great lead trumpet player on a cornet or trumpet. Symphonic playing and Brass Band playing share many similarities. And one could also point out the huge difference in style between Symphonic playing and Big Band lead playing, so I don’t think that is a particularly useful point.

When all is said and done, have a listen and then come back and say whether you think there is a massive difference in terms of the technical and stylistic playing of Richard Marshall, David Daws or Roger Webster and then Symphonic heroes like Tim Morrison, Chris Martin, Gabor Tarkovi, Phil Cobb and Maurice Murphy. Personally I think they all exhibit the facets of fantastic musical players and, subtle differences aside, prove that there is not some vast chasm between cornet and trumpet playing.

Hope this can add to the discussion.

All the best

Good points! However I´ve singled out the following:
"I accept the point that Big Band lead playing is different to Brass Band playing, but that is more about differences in genre than the instruments themselves- a great lead trumpet player would sound like a great lead trumpet player on a cornet or trumpet. Symphonic playing and Brass Band playing share many similarities. And one could also point out the huge difference in style between Symphonic playing and Big Band lead playing, so I don’t think that is a particularly useful point."

I simply disagree! I´ve brought my cornet to the bigband, when my trumpet dwelled at the trumpet repairman´s. That was a huge difference., I did not sound like a great lead trumpeter, not because I´m obviously not a great lead trumpeter but beacuse of the horn (I used my old Bach 1 1/4 cornet mpc - deemed as a trumpet mpc by every contemporary "brassbandist" I´ve met). The sound was definitively not appropriate. Of course the sound variable is "contaminated" by style, I agree with that; the way you handle the horn is significant. I´ve played in symphonic wind ensembles, often 2 cornet parts and 2 trumpet parts, and the way I played the cornet was very much alike the way I played it in the brassband - so was the sound. The trumpets were used to highlite certain intentions by the composer, the cornets likewise.
Well - you can go on giving examples but I maintain that there are obvious differences in the sound production, due to different tubing (oh, by the way, I specifically refer to "shepherd´s crook cornets" - the common "straight" US cornets come closer to trumpets).
Adding to this the attitudes! And so on....
It sure is fun to discuss!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

"I accept the point that Big Band lead playing is different to Brass Band playing, but that is more about differences in genre than the instruments themselves- a great lead trumpet player would sound like a great lead trumpet player on a cornet or trumpet. Symphonic playing and Brass Band playing share many similarities. And one could also point out the huge difference in style between Symphonic playing and Big Band lead playing, so I don’t think that is a particularly useful point."

I simply disagree! I´ve brought my cornet to the bigband, when my trumpet dwelled at the trumpet repairman´s. That was a huge difference., I did not sound like a great lead trumpeter, not because I´m obviously not a great lead trumpeter but beacuse of the horn (I used my old Bach 1 1/4 cornet mpc - deemed as a trumpet mpc by every contemporary "brassbandist" I´ve met). The sound was definitively not appropriate. Of course the sound variable is "contaminated" by style, I agree with that; the way you handle the horn is significant. I´ve played in symphonic wind ensembles, often 2 cornet parts and 2 trumpet parts, and the way I played the cornet was very much alike the way I played it in the brassband - so was the sound. The trumpets were used to highlite certain intentions by the composer, the cornets likewise.
Well - you can go on giving examples but I maintain that there are obvious differences in the sound production, due to different tubing (oh, by the way, I specifically refer to "shepherd´s crook cornets" - the common "straight" US cornets come closer to trumpets).

Hi,

Thanks for your polite reply.

I think you may have missed my point a little here, and that is probably my fault for not expressing myself clearly! I wrote earlier that the sound produced by both instruments is different, and I wasn't saying it was appropriate to use a cornet to play lead trumpet in a big band.

My point was that the style between brass band music and big band music is very different, but you can't say that therefore makes cornet playing hugely different to trumpet playing. I was saying that Symphonic music is also very different to big band music, but the way the instrument is used in both symphonic and brass band music (sweet and resonant sound, smooth attack, clean articulation, musical phrasing, controlled dynamics etc.) is very similar.

What you were talking about (in my opinion) is two contrasting styles; so my point was that a player who excels in one field (ie. a great lead trumpet player) is going to carry that style on either instrument (and in that example, yes a lead player's style and sound would not fit in a brass band). But if you stuck to more 'classical' examples; a symphonic player would fit well in a brass band and, provided a few details were sorted, vice versa. So in general, there is not a huge difference between cornet and trumpet playing. There is a difference however in a symphonic/classical/legit style of playing and big band playing, but that is not due to the instrument.

Again, I fear I am not expressing myself particularly well, but is the point I was trying to make a little clearer?

All the best

Edit: its not really got anything to do with the point I was making here, but from your signature you appear to use a commercial-sized mouthpiece when playing lead trumpet, if you put a 1 1/4C in it then your trumpet probably wouldn't sound like 'a lead trumpet' so your story about the cornet in big band is as much about the mouthpiece as it is the instrument.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your polite reply.

I think you may have missed my point a little here, and that is probably my fault for not expressing myself clearly! I wrote earlier that the sound produced by both instruments is different, and I wasn't saying it was appropriate to use a cornet to play lead trumpet in a big band.

My point was that the style between brass band music and big band music is very different, but you can't say that therefore makes cornet playing hugely different to trumpet playing. I was saying that Symphonic music is also very different to big band music, but the way the instrument is used in both symphonic and brass band music (sweet and resonant sound, smooth attack, clean articulation, musical phrasing, controlled dynamics etc.) is very similar.

What you were talking about (in my opinion) is two contrasting styles; so my point was that a player who excels in one field (ie. a great lead trumpet player) is going to carry that style on either instrument (and in that example, yes a lead player's style and sound would not fit in a brass band). But if you stuck to more 'classical' examples; a symphonic player would fit well in a brass band and, provided a few details were sorted, vice versa. So in general, there is not a huge difference between cornet and trumpet playing. There is a difference however in a symphonic/classical/legit style of playing and big band playing, but that is not due to the instrument.

Again, I fear I am not expressing myself particularly well, but is the point I was trying to make a little clearer?

All the best

Edit: its not really got anything to do with the point I was making here, but from your signature you appear to use a commercial-sized mouthpiece when playing lead trumpet, if you put a 1 1/4C in it then your trumpet probably wouldn't sound like 'a lead trumpet' so your story about the cornet in big band is as much about the mouthpiece as it is the instrument.

Here goes : I do play lead trumpet (=try to play lead trumpet) on a Stork VM6; in my younger days I used a trumpet Bach 1 1/4 (and cornet Bach 1 1/4 in the brassband) - however I quit the Bach more than 20 years ago, in both horns - brassband cause it did not fit any longer, bigband cause I did not have the capability to fill it any longer - (long and another story).
I do agree with your eloquent description "sweet and resonant sound, smooth attack, clean articulation, musical phrasing, controlled dynamics etc."! That´s the way to play trumpet and cornet in these different settings oh yes. Now, I´m not the heroic lead guy type, as I wrote a trumpet pro has told me I sometimes play trumpet in a "cornetty" way - in fact sounds much better to use your description..."sweet..etc"
I have a Wick Ultra trumpet for playing in concert&symphonic bands - but the sound of that combination and Wick Ultra plus cornet is different per se, then I can twist this difference pointing to lead style but there is still that (elusive)difference. Probably there are some skilled folks out there who could play so as to minimize this difference but but but...
Even if I really try to play "sweet.......etc" (which I of course try to do whenever I play) we still have that difference.
ps writing this I suddenly remember the Monty Python sketch, the "Black Knight" - stubbornly defending a bridge...
ps2 ahum....maybe I misinterpret you: I fully agree of playing both horn the sam way meaning "sweet.......etc" in various ways depending on the setting - but they do sound different while I´m doing so(=trying to play like that)
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
trUMBet67
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this could be useful, but I own both a Conn 38B Connstellation and its sister 28A Connstellation long model cornet.
I also own the trumpet and cornet version of the same MF FBL mouthpiece (made in England).
Trumpet and cornet sounds and slots different for me. Even if the only difference is the leadpipe, this influences the harmonics, so (other than timbre, or "colour")how the horn slots and feels.
Flugel: Getzen Eterna 895S-T
Cornet: Getzen Eterna 800 LB Copper,Conn 28A,B&H Imperial
Piccolo: Schilke Herald Bb/A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: