• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scott Laskey Brass Chat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Scott Laskey Brass Chat Reply with quote

So in December of 2017 we went on an epic adventure and filmed 10 Brass Chats around the country. Among these was Scott Laskey, who we caught up with at the Midwest Convention in Chicago.

After the trip we started putting together the order we wanted to release these in based on a series of criteria. We decided back in December that we were going to release Scott's chat in September.

As many of you know Scott passed away about a month ago, and will be missed. We very much regret that he won't be able to see this Brass Chat, which is absolutely fantastic and will be appreciated and combed over for many years because of the wide array of topics he covers and the wisdom he brought to the table.

We are deciding to release this chat unedited in about a week - which is a first for us. We don't want you to miss out on any part of this interview, which was among his last. It ran for about an hour and 15 minutes, and as you will see next week, could have gone muuuuuch longer if time had permitted.

There will be no coupon code this month - don't buy Monster Oil. Instead:

1. Email scottlaskeymemorial@gmail.com with your best Scott story.

2. Grab your favorite Laskey mouthpiece and play as loud as you're able for as long as possible in your next practice session.

Here's your teaser:

https://youtu.be/NX4yi9ey088

Miss you Scott...
www.BrassChats.com
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised:

www.brasschats.com

Incredible interview - you'll get to see Bud's mouthpiece, and tons of info about the specs of what he used through the years.

He told us how Maynard played high - yep, so there's that...

Waaaaay too much to sum up here.

Just one of the world's greatest brass techs telling you all his secrets.

Much love,

Monsters
www.BrassChats.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I just got chills.

Right before it was announced that Scott had passed, I had sent him an e-mail asking what a "V3" cup was because Dillon's had one in their used mouthpieces, and it was the first time Scott had not answered one of my e-mails. A few days later, I got the news he passed.

Well, in your interview when he was talking about Bud's mouthpiece, he explained that the "V3" was Bud's rotary mouthpiece.

He still answered my question!
sjtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone find a link for that CSO Bruckner 7 with Bud and Phil?
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Guys, I just got chills.

Right before it was announced that Scott had passed, I had sent him an e-mail asking what a "V3" cup was because Dillon's had one in their used mouthpieces, and it was the first time Scott had not answered one of my e-mails. A few days later, I got the news he passed.

Well, in your interview when he was talking about Bud's mouthpiece, he explained that the "V3" was Bud's rotary mouthpiece.

He still answered my question!

Whoa.....that's messed up.
www.BrassChats.com
csofan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjtrumpet wrote:
Anyone find a link for that CSO Bruckner 7 with Bud and Phil?

Here's the scherzo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbigVE3PBU

The entire performance is included in the 4-disc DVD set "Georg Solti: The Maestro." There are a few copies on eBay right now.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I spent a lot of time at his shop when I used to live in Chicago. It's great to hear his voice and hear all these stories again. He will be missed.

Mike
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was terrific! Thanks for this.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that was good! I spent a day with him modifying my custom rimmed 14A. I needed to get darker and open up the sound for all those import shows coming in.

I think I was testing his patience. He would open up the back bore slightly and each time it was not enough of a change for me. He was making sure he did not mess me up with a major change. I wanted to sound like the Detroit Symphony trumpet players with a simple mouthpiece change. I was/am stupid like that.

Finally he gave up and cut a 12B cup in the 14A top. I loved it. Little did I know that Scott would make what he called "inefficient" mouthpieces to cover up all kinds of garbage in a player sound.

That was me! I got through all those "legit" shows thanks to Scott. Scott and Mr. Schilke were very good to me and only charged me for a stock mouthpiece for a whole days work.

Thank you Scott. RIP The video was really interesting.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the end of the Shostakovich 7 Scott mentioned in the Monster Round:

Link

trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That interview could have gone on for days...and only gotten better with every story.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
dmamazon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Shostakovich 7 recording has to be my favorite recording too:)
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Laskey said the trend in hardware that he didn't see coming is trumpets without tone and color. Is he referring to Yamaha's?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Scott Laskey said the trend in hardware that he didn't see coming is trumpets without tone and color. Is he referring to Yamaha's?

I just watched this all the way through myself and based upon comments made just a few minutes earlier, my guess would be he was referring to Monette. /shrug

Elsewhere in the talk he mentioned Bud being at Tanglewood with Bernstein. I had always heard through the grapevine that Bud went to N.E.C. instead.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
mhenrikse wrote:

I just watched this all the way through myself and based upon comments made just a few minutes earlier, my guess would be he was referring to Monette. /shrug

Elsewhere in the talk he mentioned Bud being at Tanglewood with Bernstein. I had always heard through the grapevine that Bud went to N.E.C. instead.

Tanglewood operates as a summer program, and the Tanglewood Music Center is the summer home of the BSO. NEC operates, well, during the academic year. As they are both in Boston and Herseth studied at NEC with Mager (Principal in BSO) it's likely he did both.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Tanglewood operates as a summer program, and the Tanglewood Music Center is the summer home of the BSO. NEC operates, well, during the academic year. As they are both in Boston and Herseth studied at NEC with Mager (Principal in BSO) it's likely he did both.

Makes sense, thank you.
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was truly heartbreaking to hear of Scott's passing. Scott was an interesting and very generous guy; quite unique in his interests (making golf clubs was once as much fun for him as mouthpieces). Not always one to put on a fake happy face, Scott didn't do a lot of praising of people's playing, except Bud’s (always) and a few others. Some of his commentary is both timeless and hilarious. Examples that I heard first-hand were his views on playing the Altenburg on piccolo trumpets (“it sounds like a bunch of anemic chipmunks”); other makers' craftsmanship (he once modified a mouthpiece of mine only after making the unsolicited comment, “This rim is an abortion”); and, of course, gratuitous comments about the immutable characteristics of folks he liked and respected (e.g., referring fondly to a prominent orchestral trumpeter of shorter stature as “the Little Guy”).

But Scott more than balanced his occasional and colorful brusqueness with genuine warmth, strong and honest beliefs, and a deeply-held reverence for the brilliant brass heritage we've all been blessed to inherit. The brass world became a less interesting and principled place with Scott's passing. May he rest in peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: