• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did I Screw up my Cup Mute?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
llangston1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Did I Screw up my Cup Mute? Reply with quote

I got a new H&B cup mute recently and after watching a youtube video on filing down the corks I started filing the corks to get it to fit properly. Right out of the bag the points of the scallops on the cup were a good 3/4 to an inch or more away from my Olds Recording bell. I could play most of my range with no reduction in the corks. The low G and F#were a little iffy. As I filed the corks down I kept playing my range OK and eventually the low notes were better but the mute did not sound like a real cup mute. So I kept filing them down. Now the scallops are around 1/8"-1/4" away from the bell. However the notes in my range don't sound very good at all. The lower notes are very hard to produce and sometimes even sound bubbling like there is water in the horn. When I pull the mute out I can see condensation drops inside the bell. I really don't like how it plays right now. Hitting any given note (Low g to g on top of the staff) is a guess right now. So do I need to file it down more til the scallops touch the bell or get new corks and start all over again? Just what is the correct process to fit a cup mute to any given horn? [/youtube]
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filed my H&B cup until the points of the cup nearly touch the bell. It would touch if I forced it, but I don't. For me, with unmodified corks it played and sounded like a wonky straight mute. With the much tighter cup it produces none of that hinky straight mute duck sound and much more like that nice hollow cup sound. With my tight cup I've had no hint of trouble with note accuracy or bubbling. Can't imagine why that should be.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO - file until the bottom G# slots properly, then stop... Go too far and results often aren't desirable.

If the sound at that point isn't quite what you're looking for, N+1 time (ie: add to your collection).
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New corks and start over.

I have never seen any sense in writing extreme range (low and high notes) in any mute. Whoever writes that is just asking for sound issues.

Roger Ingram says to file straight mute corks down until the low F# "locks in nicely" and that's very true. But again - writing that low is asking for problems.

All of the above is purely my personal opinion.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

I have never seen any sense in writing extreme range (low and high notes) in any mute. Whoever writes that is just asking for sound issues.

Roger Ingram says to file straight mute corks down until the low F# "locks in nicely" and that's very true. But again - writing that low is asking for problems.

Agreed.

And my experience atleast is that when the corks are filed just enough for the F# to lock properly the intonation above lines up as well as it ever will (I suspect that's why he says that?), rather than that I particularly care about being able to use that note?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
IMHO - file until the bottom G# slots properly, then stop... Go too far and results often aren't desirable.

This has been my experience as well.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Agreed.

And my experience atleast is that when the corks are filed just enough for the F# to lock properly the intonation above lines up as well as it ever will (I suspect that's why he says that?), rather than that I particularly care about being able to use that note?

yep. exactly
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

Slot or lock in tune or just securely? Any slide adjustment?

I don't often check my intonation on those low notes with my various cups, but I don't recall it being very in tune.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave it at 1/4 - 1/8 of an inch and live with it.. After all the goal is to get a good cup mute sound not necessarily to play the bottom 2 notes (would be nice to have on occassion though).

I'm thinking that there might be something else going on, primarily that those notes aren't in great shape to begin with, and this mute (or any mute) is just compounding the issue(s).
Retired Air Force Bandsman
llangston1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what happened to me when I first posted this but I let our first trumpet player in our community band play with the mute and he said it was fine and had no problems with low notes on his horn. I then put in back into mine and I no longer had trouble. maybe my embouchure was just messed up that day. Who knows but I will leave well enough alone for now. Thx for all the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: