• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Never ending Endurance Difficulties

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Never ending Endurance Difficulties Reply with quote

I’m only 16, but I’ve been practicing regularly for over a year. 2ish hours a day for the better part of that year. I’ve always been incredibly careful not to overtrain my chops, and stop playing before fatigue. I break up my practice sessions into small segments. I participate in regular rehearsals and concerts.

But my endurance is on par with peers who never even bring their trumpet home from school. When playing a slow song/etude, I make it about 10 bars before I become fatigued and have a thin, airy sound while making continued mistakes. The problem appears when playing fast, technical passages too but it isn’t as noticeable.

Being a patient person, I continue to practice and try idea after idea. Isometrics are some refularly. I’ve tried the whisper G, shorter practice segments, longer practice segments, ending practice fresh, ending practice beaten, long times, some lip slurs, different mouthpieces, different embouchures, etc. I’ve pretty much tried every piece of advice that has “improves endurance” attactched.

Yes I’m patient, but I’m also ambitious, and it’s frustrating to watch peers nail high C’s while I am forced to play down an octave, despite continued and thorough practice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS I also take weekly private lessons.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting post. The very first question anyone will ask is: what does your teacher say? Then, have you followed this advice to their satisfaction? What other suggestions have they made?

Following these answers, one can usually work out if A) the student just needs to work a little harder and follow advice, or B) thy need a new teacher.

From what you have described, it appears you have tried quite a few different things in only 12 months. This is a very short period of time; patience seems to be mutually incompatible with this. That said, avoiding 'overtraining' at all costs means you are going to also avoid building your stamina. If things are going pear shaped after 10 bars, then this is not endurance, but your production setup, it isn't being maintained so you can continue on playing. If this is not the case, and you have things setup properly, then there is only one thing. Patience.

Just like you will grow taller, your playing will improve if you continue to put in consistent effort. Shouting at yourself won't make it happen faster, just like shouting won't make you grow faster!

Hope that helps a bit.

cheers

Andy
adam.arredondo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that it took me a while to figure out even while taking lessons from excellent instructors and practicing well-prescribed exercises (Arban, Schlossberg, Clarke, etc.)

(1) I was playing on a mouthpiece that was too big for me (Schilke 17) to play several hours a day, which is necessary as a working professional or a college music major.

(2) The muscles around my aperture were too tight.

(3) Playing in ensembles that are way out of tune is the most taxing on the chops.

Basically endurance is dependent on a little muscle strength and a highly efficient use of those muscles. Lip slurs and long tones are great for building strength. Clarke Technical Studies are great for building efficiency.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the darndest things about playing the trumpet is that it can be easier for some and harder for others depending on their physical attributes, lips, teeth, jaw and how they go about using them. It sounds like you have tried a lot to build your strength without success. I recommend getting a few lessons with a trumpet teacher that has a reputation as a 'chop doc.' I can think of Jeanne G Pocius, Clint McGlaughlin (or Pops) who probably can help you via skype. There more which others might recommend. Doesn't have to be someone in your town in these days of the internet.
Wick 2BFL
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Never ending Endurance Difficulties Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I’m only 16, but I’ve been practicing regularly for over a year. 2ish hours a day for the better part of that year. I’ve always been incredibly careful not to overtrain my chops, and stop playing before fatigue. I break up my practice sessions into small segments. I participate in regular rehearsals and concerts.

But my endurance is on par with peers who never even bring their trumpet home from school. When playing a slow song/etude, I make it about 10 bars before I become fatigued and have a thin, airy sound while making continued mistakes. The problem appears when playing fast, technical passages too but it isn’t as noticeable.

Being a patient person, I continue to practice and try idea after idea. Isometrics are some refularly. I’ve tried the whisper G, shorter practice segments, longer practice segments, ending practice fresh, ending practice beaten, long times, some lip slurs, different mouthpieces, different embouchures, etc. I’ve pretty much tried every piece of advice that has “improves endurance” attactched.

Yes I’m patient, but I’m also ambitious, and it’s frustrating to watch peers nail high C’s while I am forced to play down an octave, despite continued and thorough practice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS I also take weekly private lessons.

Hi,

The first thing that is important to do is to try and isolate the weakness/inefficiency a bit more acutely, only then will you know what you must fix to solve the problem. Whilst your post was long it didn't particularly outline the exact problem.

Would you be able to answer the following questions, which I think would be helpful for us to potentially diagnose your issues:

1) Does the range of the passage affect your endurance? Would your endurance be better if the passage was low or high, or do you experience the same problem regardless of register?

2) What affect do dynamics have on your endurance? Do you last longer by playing quieter or louder, or do dynamics have no bearing on your endurance?

3) What is your range like? What are the highest notes you play (with a solid sound) daily, and are these notes consistent all day or does your range decrease as you play throughout the day? What is the difference between the highest note you can play daily, and the highest note you think you can reliably play in a passage at the end of the day?

4) What equipment are you using?

5) How easy does your easiest note feel? If I asked you to play (for instance; a middle G) for five or ten minutes (with all the breaths you needed), would this be easy for you to maintain a good sound or would you be in pieces by the end?

6) How do your lips feel physically after a day of playing; soft and subtle (and generally fresh and relaxed) or tight, bruised, sore, uncomfortable etc.?

Personally, I would only offer you advice when I knew the answer to those questions.

All the best
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the trumpet can be frustrating and we are all not equal. Certain aspects come at various rates.

Along with many of the prior comments .. are you practicing range in your routine? Extending scales, lip slur exercises (flow studies, overtone patterens), etudes that include range challenges?

We all are not screamers!.. Play musically, with good tone and work on everything.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess I do need to have consistency and patience with each thing I try...I believe I need to do a solid lip slur routine daily.

Something I did not mention: Previously I had an embouchure that rested too low on the lips. Almost 3/4 lower and 1/4 upper. About 2 months ago, my teacher guided me through an embouchure change to make it half and half. This was done in hopes of providing me with more endurance and a fuller sound.

To answer LsO’s questions: 1) The range is a factor. The higher it is, the more tired I’ll become. Even notes at the top of the staff become taxing. Low stuff is definitely easier but I still can’t last an etude.

2) Louder is much harder. Marching band is particularly difficult. My dynamic range decreases faster than my range. Recently I figured out that by practicing piano, I can have a more efficient practice session, so I have implemented that.

3) Prior to the embouchure change, it was a high c. The end of a tune I could probably hit a C/B as long as I had some rest prior to it. But a high C at the end of a phrase? No way. Now, my range is about an A flat. Playing Clarke one pianissimo I can hit the high B, though. At the end of a tune? A G above the staff, if I play it piano. I typically have my full range even at the end of my practice.

4) A Bach trumpet with a Curry 3C.

5) Interesting question. I can only answer based on similar exercises. I did Clarke’s minute drill and that wasn’t an issue. Caruso’s 6 notes killed me, though. Cat Anderson’s whisper G was somewhere in between. To answer your question, I think I could go a fairly long time if at a soft volume.

6) Closer to fresh than beaten. The muscles feel worked, but not bruised or uncomfortable Or beaten.

Other questions:

My range practice these days is just Arban exercises. (Remember I only have an A above the staff). I have always hated practicing range, because it just makes me tired, and I am unable to practice fresh the rest of the day. Oh, and I’ve jut begun trying to do more Colin and Schlossberg lip slurs.

Hope I remembered all the questions. Thanks!
adam.arredondo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in large marching bands (250–375 people) for 8 years. Only in the last couple years of college did I figure out just how diligently I had to dial back my volume to prevent over-use. The problem mostly arises from how hard it is to hear yourself, which makes you play louder, spreading your aperture unnecessarily wide and tiring you out. The best fix is to use one or two earplugs so you can hear your buzz.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try thinking about trumpet playing as an athletic event because it truly is. That means nutrition, hydration and sleep all affect your endurance - probably more than you realize.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess I do need to have consistency and patience with each thing I try...I believe I need to do a solid lip slur routine daily.

Something I did not mention: Previously I had an embouchure that rested too low on the lips. Almost 3/4 lower and 1/4 upper. About 2 months ago, my teacher guided me through an embouchure change to make it half and half. This was done in hopes of providing me with more endurance and a fuller sound.

To answer LsO’s questions: 1) The range is a factor. The higher it is, the more tired I’ll become. Even notes at the top of the staff become taxing. Low stuff is definitely easier but I still can’t last an etude.

2) Louder is much harder. Marching band is particularly difficult. My dynamic range decreases faster than my range. Recently I figured out that by practicing piano, I can have a more efficient practice session, so I have implemented that.

3) Prior to the embouchure change, it was a high c. The end of a tune I could probably hit a C/B as long as I had some rest prior to it. But a high C at the end of a phrase? No way. Now, my range is about an A flat. Playing Clarke one pianissimo I can hit the high B, though. At the end of a tune? A G above the staff, if I play it piano. I typically have my full range even at the end of my practice.

4) A Bach trumpet with a Curry 3C.

5) Interesting question. I can only answer based on similar exercises. I did Clarke’s minute drill and that wasn’t an issue. Caruso’s 6 notes killed me, though. Cat Anderson’s whisper G was somewhere in between. To answer your question, I think I could go a fairly long time if at a soft volume.

6) Closer to fresh than beaten. The muscles feel worked, but not bruised or uncomfortable Or beaten.

Other questions:

My range practice these days is just Arban exercises. (Remember I only have an A above the staff). I have always hated practicing range, because it just makes me tired, and I am unable to practice fresh the rest of the day. Oh, and I’ve jut begun trying to do more Colin and Schlossberg lip slurs.

Hope I remembered all the questions. Thanks!

OK. Thanks for the honest responses. I can give you some thoughts, but others may have other ideas, so it is up to you to form a judgement on how best to resolve the problem.

My first thought is that your breathing may not be good. If you find it difficult to get to the end of a phrase it may well be because you are taking breaths that are too shallow or, the complete opposite, are too open and are distorting your oral cavity and thus throwing the balance of your playing.

You want to breathe and exhale on 'the same level', if you are sighing air out (like huuuuh) then ensure you take a healthy breath but do not allow it to move too far away from the 'pitch' of your exhalation. One problem players encounter when consciously trying to take in more air is that they drop the jaw and open the oral cavity (making a sound like 'oar') and it can be very difficult to get back to the balanced exhalation (be it huh or hah or hee) that you require to play. This is especially pronounced in the high register, where the oral cavity (and sometimes throat) is naturally smaller and tighter, breathing in such an open manner gives you a lot of work to do to bring the internal pressure back up to the necessary level to play high.

My second thought is about mouthpiece pressure. Don't get hung up on trying to play with no mouthpiece pressure, but just check that you aren't using excessive force to ram the mouthpiece against your face as the phrase goes on. This would cause the sound to thin, or cut out.

Thirdly, a lesson that took me a while to learn was the difference between soft and resonant vs. thin and weak. Practicing softly is a great way to improve your efficiency and train yourself to play without too much force or tension in the face, however this is only of benefit if you are producing a round (and resonant) soft sound. If you are simply playing with a thin and weak sound (which is still quiet) then you are training yourself to play with a sound that is not efficient and will not respond well to an increase in dynamics. You may need to play a little louder than you usually practice, but do whatever is comfortable to achieve a resonant sound (there should be a real buzz and vibrancy around the bell) and then make that sound smaller. I spent quite a few years making the mistake of practicing with a thin sound- I thought I was incredibly adept at 'soft' playing (and indeed, it is sometimes desirable to be able to thin your sound if you have exposed entries under the strings) but I eventually realised that I was simply a master of producing a weedy thin sound. Changing your practice habits so you are always in a 'resonant' zone can feel strange at first, I remember thinking how much louder I was (even though it was realistically no more than an mp) but soon improved my ability to control the sound to a softer level and realised quickly how far wrong I had been all those years!

Finally, remember that we find efficiency through experimentation and implementation, it is a very individual pathway. It is much more about the way you practice, analyse your playing and care for the sound quality than it is about whichever exercise you play. Don't get caught up thinking 'if I play Charles Colin/Schlossberg/Arban for 30 minutes a day that will improve my endurance', it is about how you approach that practice- the material is secondary; in all honesty you could achieve what you wanted using simple hymn tunes, excerpts, improvised patterns, any method book or the Haydn trumpet concerto, but it is the manner of your practice that is important!

Hope that helps.
All the best
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

You did a dramatic embouchure change and are expecting to be there immediately? These things can take a year or longer just to get back to your previous ability. Chill out. Keep practicing and check back in after you've followed your teacher's instructions to the tittle for a few months at least.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSO, thanks very much for your thoughtful response. I will work more on breathing exercises, and also think about nutrition and sleep. Also I believe you nailed it with saying a practice soft but not resonant. That has crossed my mind but I always put it off and say “pianissimo is good for my chops.” So thabks again.

Wolrab, I had endurance issues before the change as well. I’m currently on month 2.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helps me more than anything in regards to improving endurance is playing lyrical etudes, softly and slowly-resting as much as I play between exercises. Approaching Clarke tech. exercises help in the same way-good luck :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
jerryv914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say breathing has something to do with this, it explains 90% of playing problems. Plus soft playing focuses the embouchure. Als would recommend focusing on fundamentals, ie the first 6 pages of Schlossberg and the first 20 or 30 pages of Arban. Plus Clarke.

Never play tired, rest as long as you play. Divide your practice into segments
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
If things are going pear shaped after 10 bars, then this is not endurance, but your production setup, it isn't being maintained so you can continue on playing.

I agree with this. Your problem isn't chop muscles. It's that simply playing distorts your embouchure to the point where it quickly collapses. You try to compensate for that with muscle, but that doesn't work for long. So yes, think soft practice and breath control (as Clarke emphasized) so that you can gradually learn what an efficient embouchure feels like.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a similar point in my playing in that I don't have the greatest endurance or range. Recently I've made a bump up thanks to a little exercise, maybe it will help you as well.

Along with breath, lips, mouthpiece position, etc, the tongue is a key to endurance and high notes. You want that tongue funneling a strong narrow stream to play easy and play high. One big problem is teachers can't see your tongue and so its really hard to advise students on how to correct tongue position problems.

My teacher gave me a little exercise in the last lesson which has helped me become more conscious of good tongue position. Play a loud low note like middle C, then slur to the highest squeaker you can hit and at the exact same time play it as softly as possible. You will need strong breath support but a tight airstream. After doing this for awhile observe what your tongue is doing -- its getting way up there in the back and it may be moving back overall. Transfer this to all of the notes around the top of staff and higher by doing the same thing for them - one way is to play all your warm ups loud low and soft high.

I would second the opinion above to take a Skype lesson or two with a real chops expert, they have years and years of experience just with embouchures and can help you in ways beyond most teachers.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I did Clarke’s minute drill and that wasn’t an issue.

What is "Clarke's minute drill"? My teacher studied with Clarke for 9-1/2 years, and I've never heard of such a thing. Really curious!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
jerryv914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I think by Clarke’s minute drill he means the tonguing at the very end of the Setting Up Drills
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

I believe Clarke’s minute drill is single tonguing sixteenth notes for a minute straight. The theory is you do it at 80bpm for two weeks, then 84 for two weeks, etc. I got it from Trent Austin’s YouTube channel.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Being a patient person, I continue to practice and try idea after idea.>

Where are you getting these ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: