• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Never ending Endurance Difficulties

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

Anywhere I can find them.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing video of you playing might shed some light but my sense is there's something off about the mechanics of your playing that's holding you back.

There's a lot going on when you play, changes in any of which can make a difference. I found for example that the way I put the mp on my lips makes a difference - there's a certain way I've worked out to do it, if I don't do it that way things don't work right.

If you're struggling against less than optimal mechanics, it's going to take a toll on you. If you're doing something in a counterproductive way no matter how much you practice, it'll continue to be a stumbling block.

Can you post a video of you playing, for example some scales and lip slurs?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Billy,

There's your problem. Stick with what your teacher tells you and stop getting advice from the internet.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's your problem. Stick with what your teacher tells you and stop getting advice from the internet.

This is the best advice on this thread.

Bruno Walter
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:
Billy,

Hi,

I think that is a slightly sweeping and unhelpful statement.

As with all things; there is some great advice on the internet as well as some utter nonsense.

Personally I think it is a sensible action to ask a forum of trumpet players for help, the trick is to know your own mind and have the intelligence to analyse suggestions and deem whether they are worth following up or simply ignoring.

That being said, your teacher should be your first call and I would be very hesitant to contradict or ignore the advice of your teacher based on instructions from the internet.

All the best
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Billy B wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:
Billy,

Hi,

I think that is a slightly sweeping and unhelpful statement.

As with all things; there is some great advice on the internet as well as some utter nonsense.

Personally I think it is a sensible action to ask a forum of trumpet players for help, the trick is to know your own mind and have the intelligence to analyse suggestions and deem whether they are worth following up or simply ignoring.

That being said, your teacher should be your first call and I would be very hesitant to contradict or ignore the advice of your teacher based on instructions from the internet.

All the best

Did you read the thread? Because of you did you would realize I was NOT referring to the Trumpet Herald.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been a member of Th for over a year, and I have a pretty good idea of what advice to trust and what not to. I value everyone’s opinions, especially those on TH, but most of all my private teacher because he can see how I play.

I would not make a drastic change just because a YouTube video told me to, of course. I take it all with a grain of salt and do what I think will help ME. Thank you for the concern, however.

This last lesson my teacher noticed something as I practiced slurs. I spread my lips and smile a little as I ascend. This could be a factor in my lack of endurance and I am doing my best to iron that out. If anyone has any ideas of how to help with that, (along with playing in front of a mirror and having self awareness), please let me know. Thanks!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
This last lesson my teacher noticed something as I practiced slurs. I spread my lips and smile a little as I ascend. This could be a factor in my lack of endurance and I am doing my best to iron that out. If anyone has any ideas of how to help with that, (along with playing in front of a mirror and having self awareness), please let me know. Thanks!

What did your teacher say?

If it was something along the lines of 'this is not the way to play' and then started with some exercises to build a different means of changing registers, then you are in good hands. If it is looking in a mirror and being self aware, then you need to start looking elsewhere to pay for advice...

The fact you are asking for suggestions here is a little more than worrying.

cheers

Andy
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
What did your teacher say?

If it was something along the lines of 'this is not the way to play' and then started with some exercises to build a different means of changing registers, then you are in good hands. If it is looking in a mirror and being self aware, then you need to start looking elsewhere to pay for advice...

Looking in a mirror and becoming more self-aware is exactly how I got around problems a number of teachers were unable to help with - they were versed in assigning exercises but didn't have a clue about mechanics. Seeing and analyzing what I was feeling and comparing it to what I was doing made a big difference - far more difference than endless hours of exercises disconnected from self-awareness.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, CJ. Take a look at this .pdf-

http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf

It started me on the road to improved range and endurance. Playing with the least amount of embouchure muscle tension possible. It also works well for learning to play with an embouchure that is not spread. Like what Claude Gordon describes when he talks about the embouchure being like the opening of a pull string bag.

This has taken me from massive struggles to being able to play two ninety minute sets ion a funk/rock/soul band. I don't really know anything about the Balanced Embouchure approach to playing, but I suspect there are similarities.
farnhamjack5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer that technique is much more important for trumpet playing than strength. Embouchure strength is important yes but our facial muscles can only get so strong. To truly have good endurance you gotta find a way to play more efficiently so you're just using less effort to begin with.
GideonJazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone in that you need to listen to what lesson your teacher is giving you. However, I would show them these youtube and discuss and let him debunk them.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a three day breakthrough where I though my troubles were over. The change was a Monette mouthpiece. But now that temporary relief is gone and my endurance is back to normal. But those three days were the most amazing feeling. Every note just felt so easy, and I felt like I could actually focus on the music and my tone rather than trying not to completely fall apart because my facial muscles get so tired. Range felt effortless as well.
I started to be more aware of my breathing. I tie an Ace bandage around my stomach when I practice to feel where my breath is coming from.
I also practice efficiency studies every day. But this isn’t new.

It’s caused a level of frustration where I don’t want to practice because I feel as though it is ineffective. Although I practice the All State Etudes daily, I won’t have a chance to make it if I cannot go a few bars without accuratacy, tone and range suffering.

I think the next step is a Skype lesson. First is most likely Charlie Porter since his rates aren’t too bad.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull out clarke studies, arban, and schlossberg. Focus more on fundamentals than rep
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam.arredondo wrote:

Basically endurance is dependent on a little muscle strength and a highly efficient use of those muscles. Lip slurs and long tones are great for building strength. Clarke Technical Studies are great for building efficiency.

This! At least for me (YMMV):
1) Schlossberg and Bai Lin are definitive GoTo endurance building choices and included in my regular program (focus on beautiful sound a definite plus).
2) Pushing the envelope just a tiny bit more progressively each time (do it until you can't not do it).
3) Plan for progressively longer practice sessions (endurance is built step by step over a protracted period).
3) Longer practice sessions require the appropriate resting periods if endurance is the goal. Play the exercise then sing the exercise = appropriate rest period with an ear training plus (hearing is a MAJOR component of playing)!
4) Endurance is built over time, not instantly (see # 2).
5) The goal is a marathon, not a sprint (reality vs wish)! Pace accordingly every time, seeing the end from the beginning!
6) Consistency in application.

Happy trails (trials)!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: