• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3rd slide o-rings effect on playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FanBoy, TonytheTiger,

FWIW, I wasn’t “taking sides”. I was expressing my appreciation for Tim’s many excellent contributions on this site.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I took the ring off the 3rd slide on my B1 this morning which had been on there for years.
While it might have made a very slight difference in response, it was not enough for a "eureka" moment.
What is happening now is the slide is hanging up when it is all the way in. Perhaps it is some residue from the ring or perhaps the tubing is a tiny bit bigger where the ring was because it did not wear that tiny fraction.
I'll clean it and see what happens.
R. Tomasek

I would bet that it’s a little of both; some dirt/residue where the rubber was and the fact that that part of the slide under the rubber ring not being “broken in”, or at least as smooth as the rest of the tubing. I’ll bet it pretty much fixes itself.

Brad
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I put a set of O rings on the 1st and 3rd slides of my Yamaha Xeno II and have noticed absolutely no difference since. You'll probably laugh why I did it. I play in two orchestras with the same player. We get on pretty well and work well as a team. He however used to have one really annoying habit. He used to sit there repeatedly extending and banging his third slide shut during rests. I wouldn't say that I am particularly irritable or that many things irritate me in the band room, but this drove me nuts. I have no idea why he did it, as he isn't otherwise noisy or fidgety, just a habit I reckon.

Anyway, I bought two set of O rings, put one on my trumpet, showed him and said that I had bought a spare set to be over the minimum order for free postage, and would he like it. I can't really remember since it was ages ago, but I think I even told him in a nice way that it would quieten his noisy third slide. Anyway, he accepted the O rings, put them on his Xeno, and no more noise.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

I put a set of O rings on the 1st and 3rd slides of my Yamaha Xeno II and have noticed absolutely no difference since. You'll probably laugh why I did it. I play in two orchestras with the same player. We get on pretty well and work well as a team. He however used to have one really annoying habit. He used to sit there repeatedly extending and banging his third slide shut during rests. I wouldn't say that I am particularly irritable or that many things irritate me in the band room, but this drove me nuts. I have no idea why he did it, as he isn't otherwise noisy or fidgety, just a habit I reckon.

Anyway, I bought two set of O rings, put one on my trumpet, showed him and said that I had bought a spare set to be over the minimum order for free postage, and would he like it. I can't really remember since it was ages ago, but I think I even told him in a nice way that it would quieten his noisy third slide. Anyway, he accepted the O rings, put them on his Xeno, and no more noise.

All the best

Lou

Hi Lou,

Do you think a set of those might help quiet down a noisy and LOUD guitar player? I guess only if I could find a set of O rings large enough to fit over his neck...... and not the GUITAR’S neck....😉

Brad
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

All the best

Lou

Hi Lou,

Do you think a set of those might help quiet down a noisy and LOUD guitar player? I guess only if I could find a set of O rings large enough to fit over his neck...... and not the GUITAR’S neck....😉

Brad

Hi Brad

Yes, a set which will fit over his neck should do the job nicely.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what size "O" rings are being discussed here but I use the very small, light Getzen style rings. One on the first slide and 1 on the 3rd slide. I am usually a big believer in the "everything makes a difference" school. but have to say the only difference I can tell is no annoying "buzz" from sympathetic vibration on the first valve and no metal on metal sound from either slide. I agree that the clicking sound is not an issue in performance but believe it might be annoying to those around you if you are one to continually make that sound! I won't mention names...

I have seen much larger "O" rings being used by some players and makers but see no need at all for anything larger than what I use.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
I am not sure what size "O" rings are being discussed here but I use the very small, light Getzen style rings. One on the first slide and 1 on the 3rd slide. I am usually a big believer in the "everything makes a difference" school. but have to say the only difference I can tell is no annoying "buzz" from sympathetic vibration on the first valve and no metal on metal sound from either slide. I agree that the clicking sound is not an issue in performance but believe it might be annoying to those around you if you are one to continually make that sound! I won't mention names...

I have seen much larger "O" rings being used by some players and makers but see no need at all for anything larger than what I use.

Yeah, I actually had a prominent local player come in complaining of "hissing" from the first slide. I put the Getzen o-rings on and that solved the problem.
https://yourbrass.com/
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Yeah, I actually had a prominent local player come in complaining of "hissing" from the first slide. I put the Getzen o-rings on and that solved the problem.

Wouldn't slide grease solve this problem?
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
yourbrass wrote:

Wouldn't slide grease solve this problem?

Not when it thins or dissolves.
https://yourbrass.com/
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbor Freight has a box of nitrile O rings for under 5 bucks. The box contains a good assortment, from fairly large to tiny. I use these for sealing loose slides on my "antique" trumpets and cornets. Noise abatement is merely a secondary concern, but I think they look cool...they also work on valve casings and allow one to alter the seating of the valve caps, which, depending on whether you believe it or not, alters the response of the horn. YMMV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: