• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best mouthpiece for someone who uses too much pressure?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmenz15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Best mouthpiece for someone who uses too much pressure? Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I've been playing trumpet for about 16 years now, throughout my public schooling, college, and young adult life. I've always been a fairly casual player, and never seriously considered playing professionally. I just love making music, and don't plan to stop any time soon. I play in a few community groups in my area, along with the occasional paid gig, and that's more than enough for me.

I've always been told that I use too much pressure when I play. I often find myself getting tired very quickly, and no matter how long I play for, whether 10 minutes or 3 hours, I always get the dreaded pressure ring on my upper lip. But because I'm not a professional musician, I've never wanted to commit to the grueling task of reshaping my embouchure or unlearning years of bad habits. If I were pursuing this as a profession, I would certainly make this commitment, but alas, I am not.

Which brings me to the question: is there a specific mouthpiece that you would recommend for someone like me who uses too much pressure? Or maybe any specific techniques or tricks? I know many would consider this a crutch, and I don't disagree, but as a casual yet passionate player, I just want to get as much enjoyment as possible out of playing the trumpet, and isn't that what we're all here for in the end?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks all!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some players think mouthpieces with wider than normal rims are a solution to excess pressure but I recommend you focus on reducing the pressure rather than compensating for it.

Try relaxing the way you grip the horn. Ben Hogan’s famous advice about how to grip a golf club comes to mind. (“Grip it the way you would a baby bird,” he said.)

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Wedge could benefit you. The sides slope away from your chops, so you are forced to engage your embouchure more. Maybe that can help? I also felt like the pressure I used with the Wedge was more noticeable in the feeling on my lips. Might be a good training tool.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best mouthpiece for someone who uses too much pressure? Reply with quote

jmenz15 wrote:
Hello everyone! I've been playing trumpet for about 16 years now, throughout my public schooling, college, and young adult life. I've always been a fairly casual player, and never seriously considered playing professionally. I just love making music, and don't plan to stop any time soon. I play in a few community groups in my area, along with the occasional paid gig, and that's more than enough for me.

I've always been told that I use too much pressure when I play. I often find myself getting tired very quickly, and no matter how long I play for, whether 10 minutes or 3 hours, I always get the dreaded pressure ring on my upper lip. But because I'm not a professional musician, I've never wanted to commit to the grueling task of reshaping my embouchure or unlearning years of bad habits. If I were pursuing this as a profession, I would certainly make this commitment, but alas, I am not.

Which brings me to the question: is there a specific mouthpiece that you would recommend for someone like me who uses too much pressure? Or maybe any specific techniques or tricks? I know many would consider this a crutch, and I don't disagree, but as a casual yet passionate player, I just want to get as much enjoyment as possible out of playing the trumpet, and isn't that what we're all here for in the end?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks all!

Hi,

A nice introduction!

As has been mentioned already, a wider rim can help to spread the force a little better, but many players find this sensation can 'pin' their lip and reduce flexibility and control. So this isn't a cure-all I'm afraid.

Regarding mouthpiece pressure, I don't think it is as radical change as you expect; no one plays (properly) without some mouthpiece pressure! If I were you I would make it a goal (just at the back of your mind) to try and reduce mouthpiece pressure by, say, 10%. It should barely be noticeable, but just try to control yourself slightly every time you feel that you are really ramming it on. Hopefully over time you can develop this.

Remember that mouthpiece pressure is normally a symptom of inefficiency elsewhere, rather than a problem in its own right, so stay focused on achieving good fundamentals with solid breathing and relaxed production.

The final advice I would give would be to remember that the sound comes from a small vibration produced between the lips inside the mouthpiece. Ideally we want this to be as relaxed as possible, and in order to protect our lips from our teeth we can form a supportive air cushion. This is basically the result of relaxing the obicularis oris (muscle around the embouchure) a little more than one may be used to and allowing air between the teeth and the lips. The benefits can be two-fold; this relaxation makes the vibrating lip more supple and sympathetic to the signals from the instrument, resulting in greater resonance and flexibility, whilst the air pocket itself helps to protect from crushing your lip against your teeth.

A couple of players who exhibit this (controlled) relaxed approach effectively are: Chris Martin, Maurice Andre, Derek Watkins, Tim Morrison, Philip Cobb and Tamas Velenczei.

Hope that gives you something to think on, some players may disagree, and it is down to you to experiment a little and find what works best for you.

Good luck
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
solve this problem with a teacher.
For mpcs, the most comfortable rim i found, even the narrow ones, are the Marcinkiewicz (semi-round ones)

best
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip for you that doesn't require a mouthpiece change:

If you're like me - my top lip is the one that vibrates when I play - I solved a significant amount of my pressure problems years ago by "anchoring" my mouthpiece on my lower lip a bit (not too much!!).

In my experience, my lower lip can take a pretty serious beating with no ill effects, while my top lip needs to remain free to vibrate with no pressure. So by making sure any pressure happens on the lower lip rather than the top lip, I dramatically increased my endurance and got a much better sound as well.

Since I have an overbite, I generally have to make sure my lower jaw is a bit forward as well when I play, something I take care of in my warmup. That makes it easier for me to "anchor" on my lower lip without pointing the horn at the floor!

Hope this might be helpful to you. Ultimately, you reduce pressure with proper air support, posture, and technique. But in the meantime, you might do yourself a world of good by "anchoring" on your bottom lip and leaving your poor top lip alone to vibrate.

One last piece of advice - I've read on this forum that some players vibrate with their bottom lip, so they "anchor" on their top lip. That is bananas to me but whatever works for you! So just be advised that for some players it's opposite!

Good luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the best I can do is to find a reasonable inner diameter and a reasonable bite. If either of those things are suboptimal then I'll resort to actions that kill my endurance. For me, too wide a rim or too soft a bit forces me to expend too much effort to keep my lips anchored. Obviously, too much bite can dig in too much and cause other problems.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience even with a slightly wider rim is it allowed me to apply more pressure without noticing it. It works temporarily with the upper register, but fatigue from closing off the blood supply from the additional pressure sets in sooner and eventually worsens endurance. The next day and after I can feel it in my teeth that I had pressed too hard. Don't want the feeling of altering my "bite" at my age.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say this but there really is no such mouthpiece. Proper use of air taught by a qualified teacher and a mouthpiece that is reasonably comfortable and not of extreme diameters or depths should help, but the real key is the proper teaching and practice time.
Too comfortable of a mouthpiece often results in way too much left arm for "range". Too rounded or too narrow will have the same result.
Practicing softly will also help with controlling pressure and of course scales also are wonderful for learning not to press as you ascend.

R. Tomasek
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worked for me was a smaller diameter, deeper cup, and getting away from Bach mouthpieces. That inner rim is what caused both the dreaded ring of death and loss of endurance.

I like both Stork and Warburtons, but the brand is nowhere near as important as finding the right diameter, cup depth and backbore.

Breaking in a new mouthpiece for me is all about low range chromatics played as softly as possible. When I can get all the notes to speak at ppp, know the seal is where it needs to be and the air is flowing correctly.

The common wisdom has always been go for a shallower cup for upper range, my experience was just the opposite. My upper register got much fuller and easier to achieve when I went from the Warburton M cup to the D cup.

YMMV.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need for you to change mouthpieces and there is CERTAINLY no need for you to try to change your embouchure in order to deal with issues pertaining to using too much pressure (if indeed you even are really using too much pressure).

If I had a dime for each person that used to tell me I used too much pressure when I was an up and coming player, I'd be rich. I invite you to read my story and then if you want my help, please feel free to contact me.

https://www.purtle.com/how-i-became-a-student-of-claude-gordon-by-john-mohan

Note that Jeff's website appears to be temporarily down, so in the meantime the above can be seen here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160407152553/https://www.purtle.com/how-i-became-a-student-of-claude-gordon-by-john-mohan

A proper daily routine practiced correctly will automatically eliminate any existing problems with using too much pressure.

Or, if you really want to try to rely on a mouthpiece to help you limit the pressure you use:

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Hate to say this but there really is no such mouthpiece. Proper use of air taught by a qualified teacher and a mouthpiece that is reasonably comfortable and not of extreme diameters or depths should help, but the real key is the proper teaching and practice time.
Too comfortable of a mouthpiece often results in way too much left arm for "range". Too rounded or too narrow will have the same result.
Practicing softly will also help with controlling pressure and of course scales also are wonderful for learning not to press as you ascend.

R. Tomasek

+1
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Or, if you really want to try to rely on a mouthpiece to help you limit the pressure you use:

Would love to, but that screw through the shank looks like it'd stop it going in the horn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Would love to, but that screw through the shank looks like it'd stop it going in the horn

Oh no, that's just one of several great enhancements.

TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
TKSop wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Oh no, that's just one of several great enhancements.

Ahh now that's killed it - I'd never be able to dial in that screw-tension...
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That monstrosity reminds me of stories of how Louis Armstrong used to rough up his mouthpieces with a file so he could “get a better grip.” The result left scars that can be seen in some photos.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
deanoaks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Eric Aubier likes to use a flatter rimmed mouthpiece to help alleviate pressure (I personally use a flat rim mouthpiece to make switching between nat and modern trumpet easier, it's worth experimenting).
However, the cheaper options could include lip bends, changing the way you hold your horn, or practicing left-handed for a while. All of these, over time, will help you develop better habits (with diligent practice).
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can:

- spend lots of time looking for a mouthpiece to help with playing with pressure and failing. (because there really isn't one)

- spend the same amount of time working on playing with less pressure. This works with any mouthpiece or horn, amazingly.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic...

What's "too much pressure"?

IIRC there's an itg article somewhere about pressure where monitoring showed pros use about the same as mortals - maybe it's just that all those practice hours lead to more tolerance for it?

If you're sure there's too much pressure going on, is it mostly the stereotypical "octave key" pull into the lips with the pinky hook?
You can reduce this a fair bit by eliminating that hook - tape your pinky to your ring finger when practicing for a while.

Ultimately, the best remedies are the standard ones - good breathing, regular practice and lessons will solve most playing ills.

It may not be relevant (isn't particularly common) but a minor allergy to silver willl also leave a similar red ring.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
On topic...

What's "too much pressure"?

IIRC there's an itg article somewhere about pressure where monitoring showed pros use about the same as mortals - maybe it's just that all those practice hours lead to more tolerance for it?

If you're sure there's too much pressure going on, is it mostly the stereotypical "octave key" pull into the lips with the pinky hook?
You can reduce this a fair bit by eliminating that hook - tape your pinky to your ring finger when practicing for a while.

Ultimately, the best remedies are the standard ones - good breathing, regular practice and lessons will solve most playing ills.

It may not be relevant (isn't particularly common) but a minor allergy to silver willl also leave a similar red ring.

Hi,

Would be interested to read that article.

In my opinion and experience, I don't think pros use as much mouthpiece pressure as many amateurs. Generally they are a little more controlled and free, and most have learnt that you can't play with a strong sound and good accuracy for an extended period of time if you are ramming the mouthpiece on your face. This comes from years developing efficiency and also a psychological calmness about the higher register- Pros don't panic or tighten up (generally) when they see a higher register passage to play and thus perform more freely and efficiently, with less need for copious pressure.

As with my own playing, almost all pros (and good players in general) use some pressure to maintain the mouthpiece seal. But they only use as much as necessary, players with less experience tend to use far more pressure than is necessary to form a seal, and thus cause problems with endurance, response and range.

Someone once said to me, just after a fairly heavy rehearsal, (I paraphrase slightly) 'How do you keep playing those high notes without getting tired or swollen, do you use the no pressure method to play? That's what it looks like.' My first response was that there is no such thing as a 'no pressure method' and then I went on to demonstrate; I asked him to come very close as I played an ascending scale to a high G (I waited for most people to clear out, you don't make many friends doing that when people are packing up). After holding the top note I took the trumpet away and he could clearly see the fading white mark that showed the mouthpiece was certainly holding my lips together, and a significant amount of pressure was in use. I then asked him to step back and watch my general body use on the same exercise. Although up close he could see that there was greater mouthpiece pressure, once he had stepped back he could see that everything else in my body and face remained the same right from the low/middle register into the very high register- my body was doing the absolute minimum amount of change it had to in order to achieve the change in range. I think it opened the player's eyes a bit, he realised two things: 1) I was still using significant (but not outrageous) mouthpiece pressure to play, certainly nowhere near 'no pressure'. 2) The rest of the system was very efficient and neither my mind nor body displayed any kind of tension/nervousness about ascending into the high register. The difference between our playing was not in the first point (perhaps I used a little less pressure than him, but not enough to make a huge difference) but in the second point. Many players would benefit from understanding that.

I think the very best example of this is Louis Dowdeswell, he is a really incredible player with remarkable consistency in the extreme high register. His youtube videos are great as you get a good look at his face. It is obvious that, from a macro perspective, he is incredibly relaxed and does not hold a lot of tension or adjustment as he ascends. It is also obvious that, from a micro perspective, he does use a fair amount of mouthpiece pressure as he ascends. He is a great example to illustrate my point; people should look to develop greater efficiency, calmness and control, not focus on the notion of 'reducing mouthpiece pressure'.

Hope that can add to the discussion.

All the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: