• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett flugel mouthpiece: taper designation on the shank?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Pickett flugel mouthpiece: taper designation on the shank? Reply with quote

Hi,

Does Pickett Brass use a taper designation engraved on the shank or after the mouthpiece model?

Like in 2FLD-S for small taper or 2FLD-F for french taper, or just 2FLD if it's a standard (large) taper?

Thank you.
jshaevitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I can see. I have a 1.5FL and 1.5FLM in large (Yamaha) taper and there do not seem to be any extra markings.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: ickett flugel mouthpiece: taper designation on the shank? Reply with quote

With the Adams flugels you have to be aware that SOME large Morse tapers are too long for the receiver...like Warburtons... due to the receiver ring in the leadpipe! I have an F5 and when I would use a Warburton with a Yamaha taper the end of the shank was actually going thru the receiver ring and creating a wear mark on the shank. I ended up sending my leadpipe and a couple of mouthpieces to Kenny at Warb. He explained what the problem was and installed a V1 (Vintage 1) taper on the mouthpiece and it fit perfectly. I also discovered this when using their "gap regulator". You could see that the Yamaha shank taper was quite a bit too long. That being said...Reeves and Curry flugel pieces seem to fit fine. I have a couple of Legends flugel pieces that I THINK are made by Pickett and they, too, were too long and Kenny did his magic on those as well! Just a thought!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: