• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking to replace lead pipe on 25 Bell Stradivarius

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tikielazteca_2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Looking to replace lead pipe on 25 Bell Stradivarius Reply with quote

It originally had a 6 which I know is constricting. My go to horn is the New York 7 trumpet and I thoroughly enjoy it. Has anybody tried a 43 pipe on a 25 Strad (L bore)?

I'm wanting it more free blowing in general. Suggestions?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bach large bore 25 bell has a standard 25 pipe on it and it blows quite open already.

Ironically, I have purchased a 6 pipe to have installed on it because I like more resistance up front!

I know that this isn't very helpful, but I wanted to share. Good luck!
Bapman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 72* which has a leadpipe that was replaced by Austin custom brass...
It's their 07 which feels a little more open then a 25 , but not as wide open as a 43.
I like it !
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when robots have replaced all hand workers charlie melk will still be fixing leadpipes to strads.
give charlie a call as he will have options others don't and will be able to advise you on how the horn is going to play.
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet advice can be tricky because you just don't know who is speaking from experience or anecdote. The string cup telephone exercise comes to mind as a good analogy.

As far as if the lead pipe will or won't take your horn closer to where you want it will really never be laid to rest until you put it on your horn and give a blow for a few weeks if not more. I'm on a comeback not playing for 8-10 years and with the extra experience this time it has become very clear to me that making changes can have just as big an effect on your playing as your own perception of your playing. Sometimes perceived "improvements" are just something you're not used to and will take time practicing to see if it's really right for you.

Anyway, I have a 1970 Bach Stradivarius 25 bell, 25 lead pipe. Back when I was playing in college I caught the GAS bug and started trying to find answers to non-existent problems. I experimented with lead pipes because my dorm mate was a freelance repair guy (and trombonist) and could easily do a lead pipe swap, so I ordered every pipe Bach had at the time including some tuning slide crooks from M/K drawing. The 7 felt oddly stuffy, didn't care for it on the L bore. I actually didn't hate the 25-O, but preferred the normal 25. You asked about the 43- It made that horn slot way too wide and almost "squirrelly" where I felt it was more difficult to find the note centers. While other lead pipes can offer certain benefits over others, for me it became more about balance so at the end I stuck with the 25 and sent the others back. Your experience may vary but after my lead pipe shootout I was still more comfortable on the normal 25. Another thing to think about is getting a mouthpiece with a more open backbore- this was what I did recently in getting a Curry 5BC, seemed to open the 25 up a bit as the air goes from the shank into the lead pipe.

Sometimes describing abstract feel is like describing how a smell sounds- the words aren't enough.

I'm an amateur player tho, so take my opinions with a truckload of salt.
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Deleted by dfcoleman Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 25L with 43 leadpipe were actually quite common here in Copenhagen, but most people have gone away from it again.
The slots are very wide as mentioned, and endurance suffers, because it's a lot of work to keep the tone centered.
If you're strong and can keep the core in the sound. Then you've got a horn with a huge sound.
But I would recommended a standard 25 leadpipe, or a Charlie Melk 525 leadpipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: