• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hurricane Gordon! Should I practice this morning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Hurricane Gordon! Should I practice this morning? Reply with quote

As a lifelong resident of the Deep South, growing up in New Orleans and living along the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coasts over 6 decades, I have had many "storm" (New Orleans vernacular) experiences, Hurricanes Flossie in '56, Betsy in '65, Camille in '69 and the one that has become the measurement device for many around these parts, Katrina in '05. By the time Gordon got to where I live now, it was turning into a Tropical Storm again after briefly touching a Cat 1 midlife, a relative yawner by many standards.

I opened the blinds to my practice room so I could watch the wind driven rain while I channeled my focus into a very regimented Daily Practice Routine. Taking hints from many on TH, as well as Trent Austin's Practice Journal idea for tracking and measurement, I jumped into what has become an evolving, measurable, planned, focused Weekly Practice Plan. My daily morning practice session usually takes about 1 hour, give or take a couple of minutes and has become a necessary element to every aspect of my "retirement" years from the need for daily personal achievement to the not to be marginalized necessity of regular focused brain engagement (use it or loose it for real).

This phase of my Trumpet Life is just as big a deal as any before and I am enjoying it more than I thought possible. Comeback has become a way back to personal productivity and achievement, as necessary as breathing in and out during these fast moving years. Planning and goal setting are still very important for a fulfilling life!

Kindest regards,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that it's no longer morning, let me begin with a general, LOL!
That's a funny lead line by any accounts.

When I first moved to coastal Mississippi, I got an orientation booklet on hurricanes. Now, I had grown up in Hawai'i and Japan, where I got a lot of rain but no gale-force, damaging winds, so yawned at the info.

Then I saw a two-paged photograph in the booklet, one on the left side showing a typical motel entitled "Motel X before the hurricane" and, on the right side, a photo of a large L-shaped slab of concrete titled, "Motel X AFTER the hurricane."

Have fun but always err on the side of caution.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Considering that it's no longer morning, let me begin with a general, LOL!
That's a funny lead line by any accounts.

Sometimes it takes longer to bake a cake than planned. In this case, I penned the post just after my morning session, about 10:30am. Went through the usual preview, edit and submit. As has happened on occasion lately, I was required to sign in again but my post dissaperared into the nether world. I tried from scratch again after a bit, and this time, saved a copy before hitting "Submit". Once again the post dissapeared. Thankfully, I had a copy to post again! Don't know why this happens from time to time. Anyway, this version was a much shorter composition thankfully, LOL!

kehaulani, You are most correct in noting that these tropical events are not to be taken lightly. We built our home in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in 1988 on a bayou that flows into the nearby Gulf of Mexico. '69s Hurricane Camille had presented the "high water" mark of 11 ft near our build site, so we built 15 feet above the ground on solid pilings! You can't fool "Mother Nature" according to the old TV commercial, and Katrina brought a 23' tidal surge to our home, within 2 inches of our ceilings and made that point very clear. After gutting our home and a long rebuild, we sold it in 2012. My Wife has no desire to live near the water again. We now live 200 miles inland, but we still get the leftovers from time to time. From most accounts, Hurricane Katrina was still a strong Category 1 when it got to the city I live now near. That is a very sobering thought to say the least! Other than a rain event, we are not experiencing any threat this time.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, brings me back to Hurricane Sandy. Here's a thread I posted after that disaster:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118644&sid=40bff6b2198f84c88dd341aaadecade1

Stay safe out there!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Wow, brings me back to Hurricane Sandy. Here's a thread I posted after that disaster:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118644&sid=40bff6b2198f84c88dd341aaadecade1

Stay safe out there!

Great post Turkle!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: