• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Toothpaste For Sticky Valves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas,......From your last post and semi obscure Greek mythological username, can we infer that you are a school music teacher?
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
Abraxas,......From your last post and semi obscure Greek mythological username, can we infer that you are a school music teacher?

No. Perhaps of greater merit to the discussion at hand, I am a licensed machinist (military and civilian), a graduate electronics tech and a couple years University chemistry, but did not finish my degree. I've worked with abrasives and metals extensively in my first incarnation and continue to do so in the shop I built.

I thought Abraxas was Spanish.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
James Becker wrote:
OK, I'll chime in again.

NOT ALL LAPPING COMPOUNDS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

Traditional pumice as presented in the Eric Brand Repair Manual is old school. There's little control over the grain size, so results can vary widely.

Silicon carbide compounds are made in a variety of grits, but embed in the metal. And because they're non-fracturing, continue to cut if not completely removed.

The compounds we choose to use come in a variety of grits allowing for a variety of final clearances, from ultra-fine to coarse. These are non-embedding so they can be cleaned out easily, and are self fracturing making them finer as they're worked.

When in doubt, consult a professional. Cue up Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"....

My two cents.

Your 2p. is worth hundreds of dollars if at least one person reads and understands it. Players should NEVER use abrasives of any kind on their instrument.

I agree with both posts. Call me a chicken (or worse; it would not be the first time), but because I HAVE NO TRAINING, I don’t do much DIY on my horns beyond regular “baths.” Just because something like toothpaste on valves has “been done for years” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea, maybe it is, maybe it’s not.
Just my opinion(s).

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: