• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I can buzz, now what?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a curious thing happening :
when I buzz a note ( say middle G) and ' walk in' the horn, I jump a whole octave !

is this normal ?
advisable ?

thanks

JiCe
punctualpete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JiCe,

that doesn't sound like anything I've read in Reinhardt's encyclopedia.

It does sound like something I've heard Pops mention, you may want to ask him about it.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1118

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a curious thing happening :
when I buzz a note ( say middle G) and ' walk in' the horn, I jump a whole octave !

is this normal ?
advisable ?

thanks

JiCe

This answer is 100% NOT Reinhardt who I have great respect for. I also believe that we are supposed to advance knowledge and not assume that everything possible has already been learned.

It hasn't.

Since my name was mentioned I will give MY answer. I won't argue about it. If you want more info I have a website of over 100 pages and email.

That is GREAT that you jump up an octave.
You jump up an octave because you are relaxed enough that it allows the mouthpiece seal to do its job. Most players are TOO tight everywhere on the horn. That extra tension only eats into your endurance. You don't gain any benefit from it.
Excess facial tension actually prevents some tools from working.
The mouthpiece seal is one, tongue arch is another because it only works 1/4 as well when a player is too tight to use the mouthpiece seal.
Those are 2 of the 4 things I call octave keys.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you can buzz. Learn to make the most resonant buzz. It will make you sound so good that you will one day stop needing a trumpet. Just a mouthpiece. You will end up on a Bach 1 with a 23 throat and 117 backbore
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would've just said ask Chris. But you did spark an interesting discussion here.

Jicetp, to answer your question, I would say, well I'm a IV so I can't walk-in but sometimes I hit higher notes than intended when I do compression drills. I've found that as long as that's really where my embouchure is at, my chops feel good and I'm not forcing the higher notes out to fan my ego, then it's OK. Everyone's chops are a little different every day, and some days you might overshoot, others you might not. If you are doing it consistently and your chops feel good it might mean you're getting stronger.

If you're concerned about accuracy and think you may be over-compressing, try to remember how the note feels when you play it while you are getting ready to play it. When you hit the note, dial in on those sensations. Also, using a little more pressure (not a ton) to neutralize can help. Give that a try maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: