• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions while starting out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTDon501

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Questions while starting out Reply with quote

I'm about 3 weeks into this. I have a few questions:

1. When buzzing, should I keep my jaw out in playing position? I buzz easiest when the jaw is receded and quite open. My lips are rather thick, so I think this receded open position thins the lips, making buzzing easier. If I bring the jaw fully out, it's difficult to retain the downstream air. In other words, when buzzing, should I try to approximate playing position, i.e., jaw out and teeth closed as much as good sound allows?

2. The pencil trick: again, should I keep the jaw out? And it seems that to keep the pencil level my lower lip wants to press upward and pucker, causing my chin to bunch. Should I be trying to keep the lower lip rolled against the bottom teeth?

3. I think I understand the difference between "curled" and "rolled"; "curled" means allowing the lower lip to roll in past the teeth, which also causes the jaw to open more. vs. allowing the lip "slightly over" the bottom teeth. Is this right?

Just saving up money for a video lesson. I'm trying to get started on some of the basics.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be playing the instrument. Period. Buzzing and strength exercises should come later.

Roll-in and out are related to the action. Not a pronounced movement. Do not literally roll the lips over the teeth.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Questions while starting out Reply with quote

GTDon501 wrote:
I'm about 3 weeks into this. I have a few questions:

1. When buzzing, should I keep my jaw out in playing position? I buzz easiest when the jaw is receded and quite open. My lips are rather thick, so I think this receded open position thins the lips, making buzzing easier. If I bring the jaw fully out, it's difficult to retain the downstream air. In other words, when buzzing, should I try to approximate playing position, i.e., jaw out and teeth closed as much as good sound allows?

2. The pencil trick: again, should I keep the jaw out? And it seems that to keep the pencil level my lower lip wants to press upward and pucker, causing my chin to bunch. Should I be trying to keep the lower lip rolled against the bottom teeth?

3. I think I understand the difference between "curled" and "rolled"; "curled" means allowing the lower lip to roll in past the teeth, which also causes the jaw to open more. vs. allowing the lip "slightly over" the bottom teeth. Is this right?

Just saving up money for a video lesson. I'm trying to get started on some of the basics.

1. If your jaw protrudes while you play it's possible you are a Type IV. As a IIIB I can buzz with my jaw receded or protruded, but it feels more comfortable receded. However, doing it both ways my airstream is going down which is what Doc taught, so you need to do it so that your airstream goes down. Never was sure why he said that, but that's what he said.

2. I know my jaw protrudes when I'm doing the pencil trick, and Doc watched me do it several times through the years, so I think that must be okay. My chin doesn't stay flat when I do it, either, and my lips turn inward slightly to grip the pencil. Doc used to say to use the eraser end because that's easier, but of course, being the over-achiever I am I use the other unsharpened end.

3. I think you have this right — Doc told me that the bottom lip only rolls in slightly over the lower teeth.

I'm hoping some other Reinhardt students check in on these points. They are good questions. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: