• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tone on Eb/D trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
There is also a video of Rick Baptist recording Superman and using a Schilke G1L (I think he's on the G side) and, whilst he does the job very well, I know guys who would, quietly, have their reservations that he didn't use a bigger trumpet.

Rick used a prototype P7 piccolo for the Superman Returns soundtrack, not a G1L.

My buddy went down and took a couple lessons with one of the studio players. He got to meet a lot of the studio guys and talked to Rick about it, but didn't get to play it.

I think there are sound choices involved. Rick used his Schilke B5 on The Incredibles and was playing much higher than anything on Superman Returns. (He did use piccolo a bit in the sequence where Dash is running through the jungle, to be fair, but that sequence has a different sound and style.)

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
There is also a video of Rick Baptist recording Superman and using a Schilke G1L (I think he's on the G side) and, whilst he does the job very well, I know guys who would, quietly, have their reservations that he didn't use a bigger trumpet.

Rick used a prototype P7 piccolo for the Superman Returns soundtrack, not a G1L.

My buddy went down and took a couple lessons with one of the studio players. He got to meet a lot of the studio guys and talked to Rick about it, but didn't get to play it.

I think there are sound choices involved. Rick used his Schilke B5 on The Incredibles and was playing much higher than anything on Superman Returns. (He did use piccolo a bit in the sequence where Dash is running through the jungle, to be fair, but that sequence has a different sound and style.)

Hi,

Great information! And yes, you're completely right, it is a P7! It caught me out because the bell is huge and I think that prototype only has three valves, quite hard to make out though (1:33 is the best place haha).

I think there are sometimes very obvious stylistic restrictions- i.e. Big Band music, or at least pastiche writing in the style of Big Band music, requires the Bb trumpet, full stop. No professional player would pull out a Picc to play the swing stuff (hopefully!).

You have better information than me, so maybe I'm wrong, but it was my belief that Bergeron was doing all the really high stuff on the Incredibles and Baptist was 'first trumpet' but that part entailed less extreme range?

Thanks for the posting!

All the best
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone on Eb/D trumpet Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:

Both Malcolm and Rick are extraordinary players with remarkable careers. I have heard, especially over here in the UK, a small amount of (perhaps its too strong a word...) criticism of those players for producing 'small/thin' sounds on some recordings for the precise reason of using these smaller trumpets.

Perhaps no one should comment unless they have achieved the level of success that both those players have, but for reference I attach a brief studio clip of the LSO recording the Star Wars Main theme, all the players using their Bb trumpets. For me, the sound is unrivalled.

https://youtu.be/cLycJDCVDAc

I agree that LSO clip sounds amazing, however, I would respectfully suggest that there are a number of unknowns here - how the recording/mixing influences what we hear, and what the music directors asked for in each session being the biggest two.

Given how Rick Baptist sounds on the lead book for The Incredibles (and innumerable other landmark recordings), I'm comfortable saying I'm certain he could have hit the ball out of the park on any instrument, so I'm sticking by my original conclusion that it must have been a decision reached on the basis of what the people signing the cheques asked for.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone on Eb/D trumpet Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:

Both Malcolm and Rick are extraordinary players with remarkable careers. I have heard, especially over here in the UK, a small amount of (perhaps its too strong a word...) criticism of those players for producing 'small/thin' sounds on some recordings for the precise reason of using these smaller trumpets.

Perhaps no one should comment unless they have achieved the level of success that both those players have, but for reference I attach a brief studio clip of the LSO recording the Star Wars Main theme, all the players using their Bb trumpets. For me, the sound is unrivalled.

https://youtu.be/cLycJDCVDAc

I agree that LSO clip sounds amazing, however, I would respectfully suggest that there are a number of unknowns here - how the recording/mixing influences what we hear, and what the music directors asked for in each session being the biggest two.

Given how Rick Baptist sounds on the lead book for The Incredibles (and innumerable other landmark recordings), I'm comfortable saying I'm certain he could have hit the ball out of the park on any instrument, so I'm sticking by my original conclusion that it must have been a decision reached on the basis of what the people signing the cheques asked for.

I agree with you for sure! There are undoubtedly unknown factors, I couldn't comment on the huge can of worms that is mixing!

And you are definitely right that Baptist could have smashed it on any instrument, I'm sure the limiting factor wasn't his ability, perhaps it was a long session or he just felt it aided in getting the clarity of articulation. It is, let's not forget, a really tricky excerpt, and maybe he felt the Picc was the only way to guarantee absolute accuracy on every take.

I do stand by the opinion that Maurice's performance on the Bb trumpet had a bit more tonal character than Baptist's Picc performance, but you are certainly correct that the people signing the cheques would have been happy and it was still a very fine performance!

All the best, much appreciation for the spirit of discussion!
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated the Getzen 300 Eb/D is not a very good horn at all. As James Becker said and I completely concur, the bell just isn't very good.
I have one and will not play it in public. It can have a nice sound on one note and a very squirrely sound on another. Plus, it is a pain to play in tune.
R. Tomasek
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
As stated the Getzen 300 Eb/D is not a very good horn at all. As James Becker said and I completely concur, the bell just isn't very good.
I have one and will not play it in public. It can have a nice sound on one note and a very squirrely sound on another. Plus, it is a pain to play in tune.
R. Tomasek

Hi,

Please don't take any offence, as I know you are a long-standing and valued member of the TH community, but the statement 'it can have a nice sound on one note and a very squirrely sound on another' is a reflection on the player and not the instrument.

A strong player will make a consistently strong sound on any trumpet; the characteristics, overtones and projection may change depending on the nature of individual instruments, but the consistency of tone quality is down to the player.

I am not a fan of those Getzens, but I know that I could pick one up and play two and a half octaves with a very consistent sound on each note, even if the intonation, projection and balance was inferior to a Schilke/Yamaha/Stomvi/B&S etc.

All the best
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: 300 vs. 900 Reply with quote

Was the Getzen 990eds a better playing instrument than the 300 series Eb/D?
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I was fortunate enough to see Malcolm McNab in a masterclass of sorts where demonstrated his ability to sound virtually identical on his Eb as he does on his Bb. I think he used to favor the Schilke E3L but moved to a B&S.

Which brand of Bb did he play that sounded like a Schilke Eb?
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tone on Eb/D trumpet Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:

An E flat is a damned handy tool for the classical trumpet player. And I wish that I'd gotten hip to it's usefulness a long time ago. As once you're a well experienced E flat player? You can blow amazingly technical lines on the E flat which you would otherwise royally screw up on the B flat.

I will certainly second that. Try some Clarke solos on the Eb. Carnival of Venice becomes a piece of cake that you can play even if you are really out of shape. It's somewhat like playing the Mouret Rondo in Bb on a Bb pic and ornamenting the daylights out of it..
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tone on Eb/D trumpet Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:

Yes, that is certainly one approach. Vacchiano was a player who utilised that system to great effect.

As did Gil Johnson and Sam Kraus
TMT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some misinformation floating around this thread.

Malcolm endorses B&S and plays their medium bore Bb for public events, etc. but he finished out his career in the studios on his Schilke Eb. Which he played for reasons previously mentioned in interviews and here in this thread.

Malcolm played medium bore New York Bach Bbs before his switching to mostly Eb in the 90's. He sounds precise and present, and yes, sometimes not as huge as Maurice Murphy did, but his resonant centered sound will fill up a room in a way that is utterly thrilling. And it shows up clear and precise on tape (which he reportedly cared about enough to start bringing his own mic to sessions). A lot is in the mastering, too. On some soundtracks Malcolm's sound utterly dominates, others it is appropriately chamber sounding, others its mixed away almost entirely. This is especially noticeable with say, Randy Newman scores, where each instrument's parts are SO soloistic and chamber like and turn on a dime. Bigger horns can easily sound less precise. Malcolm sounds nimble, and one way he achieves this is that he plays short notes SHORT. The front to the note is articulate and instantly resonant and then gone if it is simply an accent note and not melodic. And the ENTIRE orchestra sounds cleaner because of it.

Also, according to Rick Baptist, "The reason they [composers] like the smaller horn is that, when they write HIGH trumpet notes, They want it to blend and not stick out over the orchestra, but, they want the notes, so, it is much easier to play the E flat [or pic] and relax."

Rick switched to the P7 because it got him a similar sound as an Eb with less work.

Not so much anymore, but back in the 80's, 90's and 00's we're talking multiple movies, shows, etc a day, 7 days a week, with double, sometimes triple sessions. All over town. A whole LOT of a very specific type of playing, WAY more than anybody anywhere else in the world was doing that type of work. And EVERY take, from the 1st to the 30th had to be (mostly) free of mistakes.

Which is why the section helps each other out. Rick did indeed play lead on Incredibles. Both he and Wayne could handle the lead book on their own, but both also had their own strengths and a good section (just like in London studios where John Barclay and Derek Watkins could play lead for days and Maurice stayed fresh and still had the control handle the raised pinky playing) means everybody plays to their strengths. The biggest thing here that differs from every other type of music is the need to play screaming big band, crappy chop-killing marching band source music, dainty exposed playing, incredible powerhouse brass, etc, often times instantly back to back.

The London pickup orchestras are fantastic, but so much of the sound of the trumpet section depends on the mix. John Powell actually stopped using Malcolm (and Rick becames his first trumpet) because he wanted ONLY large Bb horns on lead for his scores. Amazing writing and unreal trumpet parts, but more and more the mix Powell prefers has his trumpets and brass as an equal voice, so no matter how deafeningly huge his brass section sounds in the room (and believe me, it doesn't get much better than sitting right there in the middle of it), it is mixed down until it sounds tiny and tinny on tape. This was why Phil Cobb didn't sound like Maurice Murphy on the score to Solo, when in other situations (the new John Williams disc the LSO did) Cobb sounds every bit his successor.

It's all personal preference. Rick sounds different on Superman Returns. Malcolm sounds different on the Indiana Jones theme than Maurice Murphy did (and for my money Indy 4 is the definitive recording, I like his Eb playing on John Williams scores even more than his Bb playing of the 70's and 80's, the resonance is so focused it sounds like crystal).

And as has been said before it isn't about sounding as big as possible at all times as is the symphonic standard these days, it's about getting the job done accurately and being able to check your ego at the door and play everything as musically as possible, because every take is likely to be the definitive (read: only) recording of that piece of music. EVER.

Anyway.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great great stuff above from TMT.

Amazing information, all very interesting!

Agree with it all. I would add that Baptist's comments regarding composers preferring the sound of the 'smaller horn' is perhaps more about the precise and unforced quality, rather than for the tone quality itself. In my humble opinion, there are some are only a handful of truly special players out there who are able to combine the warm and full sound of the Bb trumpet with the precision, smoothness and unforced quality of a smaller instrument. Phil Cobb has to be the greatest example of this: https://youtu.be/qiBW-A0EeKU

That is what I personally strive for. Once I get to a point where it simply isn't reliable enough then I'll move to the smaller trumpets, but as much as I can- I'll try to play the Bb. The sound of a Bb being played with complete control is pretty hard to beat.

All the best
TMT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Phil Cobb's the real deal. I'd say he's probably the most exciting young trumpet player out there right now, period. He's got musicality and assurance in every note the way even most mature players don't. If he'd play his short notes a little shorter it would make the band as a whole sound less ponderous and more nimble, but again just personal preference.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMT wrote:
Yeah Phil Cobb's the real deal. I'd say he's probably the most exciting young trumpet player out there right now, period. He's got musicality and assurance in every note the way even most mature players don't. If he'd play his short notes a little shorter it would make the band as a whole sound less ponderous and more nimble, but again just personal preference.

Its funny you say that! Phil does play notes incredibly short, especially when he's in the LSO- in fact sometimes it could be argued he even goes too far with this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though!

Check this out, ridiculous playing!

https://youtu.be/Rcznot5shhY

All the best
TMT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on him! Just goes to show how different someone sounds sitting next to them in person vs out in the hall or on tape.
TMT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic clip btw!! But a good example of what I was talking about. His notes have an enormous amount of front but when you listen closely they aren't actually very short at all. Crazy, I wonder if the sight read it...
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
cheiden wrote:
I was fortunate enough to see Malcolm McNab in a masterclass of sorts where demonstrated his ability to sound virtually identical on his Eb as he does on his Bb. I think he used to favor the Schilke E3L but moved to a B&S.

Which brand of Bb did he play that sounded like a Schilke Eb?

Pretty sure that this was before he switched from Bach to B&S.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSO, it isn't the player and you can bank on that. Everyone I've ever had try that instrument has the same reaction. Those players were of better than amateur status with high skills.
The bell is lousy and the instrument fights you on just too many notes. If you played for a while, you'd know what I mean.
R. Tomasek
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
LSO, it isn't the player and you can bank on that. Everyone I've ever had try that instrument has the same reaction. Those players were of better than amateur status with high skills.
The bell is lousy and the instrument fights you on just too many notes. If you played for a while, you'd know what I mean.
R. Tomasek

Hi,

I think I'll have to respectfully disagree.

For sure an instrument can be bad to play, the intonation can be terrible and perhaps the timbre is too brittle or dull. But finding 'it can have a nice sound on one note and a very squirrely sound on another' is definitely a flaw with the player, unless there is a hole in one of the valve slides or similar.

OR...

What you are referring to is the fact that to play the instrument in tune requires the player to bend away from the centre of some notes, resulting in an 'in-tune' scale having an inconsistent sound. This would not really result in 'squirrely' notes though- more like dull notes.

All the best
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How notes lie on the horn is dictated to some extent by physics. It is tedious but not too hard to calculate out-of-tune notes occurring due to the impact of the bell (or other tubes). This also relates to slotting and can show that certain notes can be "squirrely" even when right next to other in the scale. Acoustic resonances can be narrow and deep. It is most certainly not always the player's fault.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: