• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pocket or Plastic For Aspiring 7 Year Old ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a follow up, it was the kids birthday today and she just unwrapped her new blue ptrumpet. Aside from appearing to lose interest after about 150 seconds, she was able to certainly support it and appeared relatively at ease with it.

I was told, via reviews, to expect intonation problems with it and quite funny to report that after setting the main slide, everything fell into place, better than any pro horn I have in the house. I was told that the valves would work surprisingly well with little or no oil. In fact, the third valve keeps sticking and I can feel it scraping on something. Blue Juice did nothing for it. It's going back.

If this keeps up, maybe she will grow in to at least a pocket trumpet. My conductor brought one to my last band class and was certainly positive about them. I told him about my ptrumpet purchase and he said while he had no experience with them, he found a pbone filled a purpose in that he was able to mark up the slide to show students where the notes are and that it played surprisingly well..
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone wanted to know what pocket trumpets weigh. My Schafer (DEG) weighs in at 2 lb 1.1oz. That's less than any of my Conns, but more than my Benge CG trumpet, which weighs 1 lb 15.6 oz. For the record, my 17A Conn weighs 2 lb 6.4 oz. None of these weights include a mouthpiece.
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
A full-length trumpet may be difficult for a seven-year-old to hold and support. A pocket trumpet or shepherd's crook cornet places the center of gravity much closer to the body, which would be easier to manage for a small child with short arms. Some pocket trumpets are of better quality than standard student trumpets, but they are priced accordingly. A short student cornet might be the optimal choice.

+1
My oldest son started at age 8. He was relative small for his age. On the recommendation of his trumpet teacher Joy Cayler (from the Joy Cayler All Girl's Band) I started him on my Bach 184 Shepherd's Crook Cornet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Joy+Cayler+all+girls+band&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oa_bXzezX0kTCM%253A%252Cm74uhdqNZpQIIM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kR-U4owNXL5DKG15gZl0s6lqCs5UQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTi7Pe28TgAhXjxYMKHdUyBY8Q9QEwA3oECAYQBA#imgrc=oa_bXzezX0kTCM:

Joy is the lady sitting on the piano.

Fortunately my son never dropped nor damaged the cornet. I still play that cornet to this very day.

At age 9 I bought him a Bach 37 that stayed with him through his trumpet major years at the University of Miami in Florida.

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your daughter needs to practice carrying heavy things around, unless there is some deficiency I am not aware of, in which case, I apologize.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am sitting here in a lovely room at the Brentwood Resort about 40 minutes' drive north of Victoria, British Columbia, letting my dinner settle and reading TH posts. I have some time on my hands, so thought I'd chip in.

Abraxis, good for you for understanding that a full-size horn is too heavy for your 7-year old. "Could", "should" and "I did it when I was seven..." really don't count where an understanding parent is patiently and repeatedly explaining "No, that won't work for us."

I have two energetic 11-year old boys as students. They both find a regular student horn tiring to hold up for an entire lesson. I rented a pocket trumpet to bring on the road with me (did an hour earlier this afternoon in my resort room, cup mute tight-in, bathroom door closed, etc. no complaints so far!). I brought it to a lesson a couple of weeks ago...and my prime 11-year old student LOVED it, is still talking about it, and WANTS one. He finds it so much more comfortable to hold because it's smaller, and therefore easier to play, too. He prefers it over his student Yamaha 2335.

The horn plays really quite well, easily good enough for a beginner. Fit and finish are excellent, intonation is fine, the blow is easy and the sound quality is definitely a 7/10 rated on a serious pocket trumpet scale. It's a Jupiter, model JTR-710 and retails at Long & McQuaid here in Canada for about $780 brand new.

If she's still interested in a year or so and a regular horn is still too awkward and bell-heavy for her at that time, you might want to give it a look. She can play it for 3 years and you can sell it after that for 65% of what you paid for it. Cheers!
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I really need to comment. 11 years old and they can't hold a horn for an entire lesson?

That is not only remarkable, that's disgusting. I guess that's what you get when kids are sitting around texting or playing video games all day.

Yes, I will say that I held up an Buescher 400 in band class for an hour. Practiced at home for an hour or two in addition. I was a small kid, too.

Every student in my band classes were holding up their instruments with no issue, and they practiced too, at least some of them.

If these kids can't hold a trumpet up for an hour, the fault is not with the horn.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
OK, now I really need to comment. 11 years old and they can't hold a horn for an entire lesson?

That is not only remarkable, that's disgusting.

Tom
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

I taught beginner band for years. They started in 4th grade, were often 9 years old, sometimes 10, sometimes turned 10 at some point. These little girls and boys played full sized trumpets (I wouldn't mind starting kids on cornet - but that was out of my prevue) for lessons, rehearsals, whatever. Many were small, many were Hmong or Karen and very small in stature. It was not an issue for almost any of them (99% of them).

Also, some of these little kids played saxophone or trombone. A few played baritone/euphonium.

No judgements on anyone else, or their kids - just some observations.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
No judgments on anyone else, or their kids........

Actually you did exactly just that: judging a 7 year old child .........

Crazy Finn wrote:
....... just some observations

........and you did not help the OP whats however in answering his question.

These are just my observations of your post
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
A full-length trumpet may be difficult for a seven-year-old to hold and support. A pocket trumpet or shepherd's crook cornet places the center of gravity much closer to the body, which would be easier to manage for a small child with short arms. Some pocket trumpets are of better quality than standard student trumpets, but they are priced accordingly. A short student cornet might be the optimal choice.
+1
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleEagle wrote:
Someone wanted to know what pocket trumpets weigh. My Schafer (DEG) weighs in at 2 lb 1.1oz. That's less than any of my Conns, but more than my Benge CG trumpet, which weighs 1 lb 15.6 oz. For the record, my 17A Conn weighs 2 lb 6.4 oz. None of these weights include a mouthpiece.

It is the distance away from the body that is critical here .....
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Sounds like your daughter needs to practice carrying heavy things around, unless there is some deficiency I am not aware of, in which case, I apologize.

Tom

Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
As I have stated; there are numerous examples of children much younger than your daughter who have had no problem holding an instrument, unless there is something the forum is unaware of (for instance, if your daughter has a developmental disability) then your argument really doesn't make any sense.

Have you met, or even seen, the child in question? I have known several children eight years old and younger who could not effectively hold a brass trumpet well enough to play it. It seems really arrogant of you to insist that the child in question could support a horn, especially when the child's parent has first-hand experience to the contrary.

+10
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I'd have thought that the closer center of mass of a cornet would make the weight easier to bear than that of a typical trumpet, but it seems you've already confirmed that's not the case for your daughter.

I enjoy believing that the plastic horns will come around eventually but the ones I've tried (it's been a while) didn't seem worthy just yet.

And FWIW I've found some of the pockets tricky to hold.

I appreciate your predicament. I've got two 9-year olds at home and they can hold a standard Bb but it's still a little awkward.

+1
It takes a parent to understand a parent's job ........
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
mm55 wrote:

I agree with this. And, I bought a Carol Pocket Trumpet and it worked fine.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: