• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pocket or Plastic For Aspiring 7 Year Old ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought that the closer center of mass of a cornet would make the weight easier to bear than that of a typical trumpet, but it seems you've already confirmed that's not the case for your daughter.

I enjoy believing that the plastic horns will come around eventually but the ones I've tried (it's been a while) didn't seem worthy just yet.

And FWIW I've found some of the pockets tricky to hold.

I appreciate your predicament. I've got two 9-year olds at home and they can hold a standard Bb but it's still a little awkward.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure if its just me, but I am kind of getting the impression that Abraxas's heart is set on a plastic trumpet...

Abraxas, at the end of the day, you are paying for it so do what you want. You have been given lots of advice by many players and hardly any have suggested a plastic instrument, but you continue to show a real enthusiasm for them.

If you really want a plastic trumpet, then get one! At the moment it seems like this thread has started going in circles- its unlikely you're going to receive much endorsement for the plastic idea; if you wanted advice the clear majority on this thread is in favour of a brass cornet, if you have your own individual opinion, go for it, but then there is little point discussing it any further.

Just as a quick side note; Philip Cobb (Principal trumpet of the LSO) was picking up the cornets around his house almost before he could walk. James Fountain (Principal trumpet of the RPO) apparently started the cornet at 3. When the passion is there, a kid can manage, there really is no need for a plastic instrument.

All the best, good luck to your daughter in her studies!
I don’t think that is the case at all. I have said, perhaps not enough times, that my daughter cannot hold any brass instrument up for more than a few seconds. Not only does this mean she can’t play it, it also means she is likely to drop it. My whole point in posting this question was to see if there were light weight pocket trumpets that were affordable and good. I also said, ad nauseum, that this first instrument was intended to be a very temporary intro to a real brass instrument.At this age, they grow really fast and have about a ten second attention span, so I don’t expect her to develop skills beyond how to hold it, get a sound out of it and that by pushing those buttons she can change the sound. Ideally if she could learn the C major scale, that would be the signal to transition to a brass instrument. In any event, I’m not sure how many respondents know much about the plastic trumpets as they are getting pretty impressive reviews, save for intonation. Pro players are bringing them to gigs.

Ok, please take it from a Pro- NO pros are taking plastic trumpets to gigs...

(Well a colleague turned up with one as a joke and switched back to a proper instrument 5 minutes later when the laughter had stopped and he actually needed to do his job).

The players who you see online ‘reviewing’ these trumpets are being paid a very healthy fee to do so, some of them still weren’t able to tell their faces to match the words they were paid to read out.

I’m not having a go- it’s just you seem really caught up in the all the marketing. There is a reason these plastic trumpet companies have invested so heavily in marketing when Yamaha and Jupiter (mainstream producers of affordable brass student instruments) have not needed to.

All the best
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy... Do you have any links to those reviews ? The one's I watched were obviously unbiased as they listed a few cons and their recommendations were quite conditional, in the end.

As I explained in the title and several posts, I do not have the option of a regular, brass instrument. They are too heavy for my diminutive 6 year old daughter(She will be 7 in October). She couldn't even grip the valve block. Her hands are too small. That seems to be lost on you and some of the other respondents. I agree, no point in discussing this further , but it's not I who have ignored any replies, rather many of the respondents don't seem to get the issue of size and weight. I did look at the Getzen Super Deluxe on a recommendation, but apparently the bells are paper thin. If I thought she could sustainably support a regular brass cornet that is rugged, I'd just continue to let her use my Old's Specials...at least the LA model. They are built like tanks.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
LSOfanboy... Do you have any links to those reviews ? The one's I watched were obviously unbiased as they listed a few cons and their recommendations were quite conditional, in the end.

As I explained in the title and several posts, I do not have the option of a regular, brass instrument. They are too heavy for my diminutive 6 year old daughter(She will be 7 in October). She couldn't even grip the valve block. Her hands are too small. That seems to be lost on you and some of the other respondents. I agree, no point in discussing this further , but it's not I who have ignored any replies, rather many of the respondents don't seem to get the issue of size and weight. I did look at the Getzen Super Deluxe on a recommendation, but apparently the bells are paper thin. If I thought she could sustainably support a regular brass cornet that is rugged, I'd just continue to let her use my Old's Specials...at least the LA model. They are built like tanks.

Hi,

If your daughter's hands are so small they cannot grip a valve block, its irrelevant whether its plastic or brass. As I have stated; there are numerous examples of children much younger than your daughter who have had no problem holding an instrument, unless there is something the forum is unaware of (for instance, if your daughter has a developmental disability) then your argument really doesn't make any sense. What is more you have written a number of times how this is only a 'very temporary' purchase (until she can play a C major scale), if you genuinely think the timespan for your daughter to grow into the strength required to hold a brass instrument is literally a couple of weeks, why not just wait? There isn't a lot of logic in your thinking.

The reviews I was thinking of were of the pTrumpet and were by Mike Lovatt, Alison Balsom and James Fountain. If you have seen others please feel welcome to post them.

All the best
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
As I have stated; there are numerous examples of children much younger than your daughter who have had no problem holding an instrument, unless there is something the forum is unaware of (for instance, if your daughter has a developmental disability) then your argument really doesn't make any sense.

Have you met, or even seen, the child in question? I have known several children eight years old and younger who could not effectively hold a brass trumpet well enough to play it. It seems really arrogant of you to insist that the child in question could support a horn, especially when the child's parent has first-hand experience to the contrary.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Objective reviews.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-eFI1Y5SK8
Fast forward to 33.00 for his summary, but keep it in mind that he is talking from the perspective of a high school music teacher as a longer term prospect.

Jordan Hoffman ...main complaint was that the 1 and 3 tuning slides were too short to be of value in fixing intonation...again not an issue as this is a temp purchase to get her to hold a horn and make sounds. Not for weeks, but I anticipate a few short months. I have no illusions that she is going to be a protege of (favorite player here) by the age of 8.

Grasping an entire valve block properly is not such an issue when the trumpet weighs as much as a toilet paper tube .

As others have already noted, age has no bearing on size and strength especially in the 6 and 7 year old range. Look at some dated Grade 1 and 2 class photos.

My whole point in posting this question was to fish for possible pocket trumpets that might fit the situation. Apparently , at least at affordable costs, this is fading as an option.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, the kid's 7, buy her a pretty plastic horn and let her play it.

Of course, my kid was doing Carnival on his Mt Vernon Bach 37 at 3...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Given the constraints the OP has revealed over the course of this thread I also believe that the only option is to go with a plastic toy.

The OP states the child cannot hold the weight of a brass horn nor grip the valve block. Thus this leaves out cornets, trumpets and pocket trumpets.

If it were me, I would purchase a toy and let the child pretend with that. YMMV
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being accused as a heretic, have you considered signing her up for piano lessons until her strength and hand span will allow her to comfortably hold a cornet or trumpet?

With the right teacher, she'd learn the music end of things, which she could then transfer to a trumpet or cornet in a few years.

That path worked very nicely for me. I had a much older brother who was playing first chair trumpet in a university band when I was in first grade (age 6). Every time he came home from college, I nearly worried him to death wanting to play his trumpet, and the conversation came up about my starting to play on a cornet at that early age. He convinced our parents to start me out on piano lessons.

Our school started "junior" band in 5th grade (age 11), and my parents bought me a Conn Director cornet at that point. By that time, I was pretty competent at reading music, from my piano lessons. I was a HUGE step ahead of my classmates because I knew the mental part of music (i.e., notes, rhythms, time signatures, etc.) Learning to play cornet, and later trumpet, was just learning to work the machine.

Just a thought.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried several brands of plastic trumpets a few years ago at NAMM. Before that day, I had only heard of pTrumpet. There were distinct differences among all the brands I tried, and I was surprised that there was one brand that played considerably better than the rest.

I can't remember what brands I tried, but I do know that pTrumpet was not my favorite. I do remember that my favorite brand had metal liners in the valve cylinders.

At the following ITG conference I attended, some store was running a special on the brand I did like the best. However, each one I tried played different.

So if the OP gets a plastic trumpet for his child, I would recommend trying the specific sample he eventually takes home.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Given the constraints the OP has revealed over the course of this thread I also believe that the only option is to go with a plastic toy.

The OP states the child cannot hold the weight of a brass horn nor grip the valve block. Thus this leaves out cornets, trumpets and pocket trumpets.

Gotto to agree with Rusty, "...the child cannot hold the weight of a brass horn nor grip the valve block. Thus this leaves out cornets, trumpets and pocket trumpets". Though I've not been particularly impressed with the plastic trumpets I've tried, I wouldn't go as far as to call them toys. And it sounds like the only option.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Gotto to agree with Rusty, "...the child cannot hold the weight of a brass horn nor grip the valve block. Thus this leaves out cornets, trumpets and pocket trumpets". Though I've not been particularly impressed with the plastic trumpets I've tried, I wouldn't go as far as to call them toys. And it sounds like the only option.

I was referring to actual toys, not the TSOs that are plastic.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final post on this thread.

Abraxas; as I said near the start, its your money and your kid, so do whatever you want. I doesn't affect me and I am glad to know that there is another child out there showing some enthusiasm of the instrument.

What I find a little frustrating though is that you have posted with an agenda; essentially you knew the answer to your question before you started, as the thread has gone on you have eventually stated that your daughter is completely incapable of gripping a valve block for any brass instrument. Whilst I find this hard to accept (once again, there are plenty of top players who started on brass instruments half your daughter's age and I myself was playing by that time and my development was a medical concern at that age) you are entitled to your own opinion regarding your daughter and her strength.

Don't, however, then seek to contradict the advice you are given, whilst quoting complete untruths 'pros are using them on gigs' when talking to someone who is actually in the profession! If you are dead set on a plastic trumpet, go ahead, but don't pick a fight trying to persuade experienced players that their tried-and-tested beliefs are wrong.

I very genuinely wish the best for you and your child, and my heartfelt advice would actually be to seek out a local teacher to give your child a lesson (on your cornet) and discuss the issue with them, I think they are unlikely to support a plastic instrument but that is between you and them to decide on.

You are welcome to PM me if you want any guidance regarding the direction of your child's development, but I shan't post again on this thread or on this topic.

All the best
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get her a Holton t602. Have her practice a couple nights a week and in a month she’ll have the grip and strength to hold it just fine.

100 years ago she would have been ready for manufacturing or coal mining. I don’t baby my children at all. Hand had a trumpet in their hands since age 2.

My daughter....now 6 can barely grip it but she puts forth the effort and does pretty well considering. My oldest now 9 somehow went to strings and plays cello. My youngest who will be 3 next month is trying

I’m also glad your kid is interested in making music!

Give her everything she needs to be successful and spare no dime!
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Just get her a Holton t602. Have her practice a couple nights a week and in a month she’ll have the grip and strength to hold it just fine.

100 years ago she would have been ready for manufacturing or coal mining. I don’t baby my children at all. Hand had a trumpet in their hands since age 2.

My daughter....now 6 can barely grip it but she puts forth the effort and does pretty well considering. My oldest now 9 somehow went to strings and plays cello. My youngest who will be 3 next month is trying

I’m also glad your kid is interested in making music!

Give her everything she needs to be successful and spare no dime!

Thanks... I just bought her a cello. I'll put weights on her arms when she's on it. I knew you guys would come through for us !!!
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
mm55 wrote:
A full-length trumpet may be difficult for a seven-year-old to hold and support. A pocket trumpet or shepherd's crook cornet places the center of gravity much closer to the body, which would be easier to manage for a small child with short arms. Some pocket trumpets are of better quality than standard student trumpets, but they are priced accordingly. A short student cornet might be the optimal choice.

LSOfanboy wrote:

Hi,

I played a full size Bb from 6 years old, and I was about the smallest in my school. All my students of that age cope fine.

You will never get a pocket trumpet of the same playability for the price of a student Yamaha or Jupiter student Bb.

If the size is (which it really shouldn't be) a huge issue then I agree that a short student cornet (slightly more expensive) is the way to go.

Seriously, don't even entertain the pocket trumpet thing.

All the best

Glad that you, as a tyke, and your young students have coped successfully with full-size trumpets, LSO....

However, to cope is to deal with a difficulty, so why impose a difficulty when we have less-difficult and mechanically/musically-suitable options?

The problem is not so much that a trumpet might be difficult to hold, per se, but that it will be difficult to learn fine control over the angles that the mpc meets the chops and the pressure (and distribution of pressure) that the longer lever arm imposes.

-----------------------------

I had use of a Schiller (Jim Laab) pocket trumpet for a couple of weeks in 2016 -- I could not believe how good it was. The same opinion was held by two respected university professors and professional players, one of whom spent considerable time with the horn.

The fit and finish (bright silver) were flawless. It felt like a pro horn in the hands.

I could have gigged with that horn for 90+% of the kind of B work that I do.

I played the expensive model -- $339 -- not the $159 horn, so I can't speak to the one with the lower price.

https://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/store/schiller-centertone-pocket-trumpet-bb-gold/

That said, the problem with pockets for small/young kids is that pockets might be a challenge to grasp -- a particular wrap might or might not work well for a particular kid.

I prefer short cornets.

-Denny
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always interested in knowing how much these instruments weigh. Case in point, my daughter has an easier time with my Reynolds trumpet than either of my Olds cornets, no doubt because it is considerably lighter. Unfortunately, with the lighter weight almost always comes with a more fragile gauge of metal.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

+ Good grief 1, buy the kid a plastic horn already, see what happens. There’s not much investment required, let her try it for a while. Kids grow quickly, in a year she may be able to handle a brass horn.

Brad
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to hold and lift a brass horn isn't the gold standard it might seem. If it leads to tension in the muscles, she is not going to have the relaxed posture left over to play anything, at that point. Her elbows, for example are tucked into her stomach as she struggles to hold it up. Anyhow, i ordered the pTrumpet after considering all your suggestions and the color should appeal to her as that's what kids like too. If it inspires her to pick it up more often, then that's a good thing.

I have lots of mpc's to swap the plastic one out. The Schiller pocket was tempting, however, I predict, given her extreme rate of growth, by the time she can play a C Major scale or somewhere thereabouts, she will be ready for the grown up horns and I have lots of those around, especially the rugged Olds cornets. I very nearly got her the suggested Getzen cornet suggested but just shy of the mouse click, I read the red flag "paper thin bell".

Thanks for all your suggestions and despite suggestions to the contrary, i did not start this post predetermined that I'd go plastic, rather with an open mind. It was only a leaning, considering weight and ruggedness as the biggest factors. Cheers.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to voice support for any one choice but I've played a friends Tromba plastic trumpet and played a Carol pocket trumpet last Saturday at Rich Ita's shop. Both played amazingly well. Not as good as a good pro horn, but definitely good enough to get by. They both had a dark sound and would actually be good on a small group jazz gig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: