• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hard to find Olds Ambassador water keys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CartersPop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Hard to find Olds Ambassador water keys Reply with quote

I am refurbing a very nice used Olds Ambassador Trumpet circa 1974 that I picked up to give to my now addicted cornet playing son for a xmas gift later this year. Phenomenal condition given the years and the fact it was in continuous use nearly all its life, luckily by one very meticulous owner. Unfortunately, besides a few tiny "scabs" of failed lacquer under the leadpipe, it is in immaculate looking and playing condition with the exception of corrosion of the finish of the third valve slide ring and the surfaces of the third valve and main tuning valve water keys. javascript:emoticon('') When i bought it I assumed it would be easy to sub in some new generic water keys at a reasonable price. Upon further inspection I see the water keys on this model are different from any other trumpet makers OEM, for that matter any other Olds models (Super, Special, Recording, etc..). They are long and flat and are "underslung" on the bottom of the respective slides with the finger button portion closer to the valve block, not the usual end mounted with the finger pad closer to the top of the horn, or the alternative Olds Super side mounted water keys. javascript:emoticon('')

I am having trouble locating replacement water keys, and for that matter, the third slide ring (which is specific to the model as it has a nub underneath that limits the slide's outward motion). No other water keys look this long or flat by comparison. Been looking for a "trashed" used Ambassador to buy cheap but they all either have the same corroded parts as mine or are in too good a condition to warrant the price just for these few parts. The damn things are still workhorses even decades after they stopped making them.

Anyone have any ideas for specific Olds Trumpet part sources I might be able to look into? Other solutions? Not sure how expensive it would run to get these parts refinished into newish condition, or even who might do that kind of work. It is a shame as it is a spectacular looking horn otherwise.

Thanks.

jeff
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to search for parts - you have them already!

Take the horn to your local music store or one of the known national technicians and ask them to relacquer the original parts.

Easy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: