• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy rehearsal on cornet negative for trumpetplaying

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Hi Seymor

I'm extremely sorry for the very belated reply. I haven't been on here for ages, owing to having been really busy, and missed the email notification of your reply.

Thanks Louise!

You are always very welcome.

I think, in retrospect, that my intense practicing on the cornet highlighted the dilemma of playing brassband (front row) cornet and lead trumpet.

I completely agree.

Of course I could use a somewhat deeper mpc doing the latter - however I doubt that I could endure long dance gigs on a deeper mpc.
I´m so very dependent on rims being alike so when I found the Storks they sided so well with the Wick. And the looong meandering safari was over.
Another solution is to practice mostly on the shallow mpc - I´ve done that shorter periods but I´ll try again. Didn´t seem to present adverse effects on the cornet stuff - well made me somewhat "edgier" and our director was not late to point that out.

A difficult situation. I find orchestral trumpet playing or dance band 3rd/4th trumpet easier to double with brass band cornet playing than lead trumpet.
Apart from the time when I play in an old time dance band, which played music for dancing, waltzes, fox trots, quick step, latin etc., with a lot of above the stave playing but nothing above high D, I've tended to stick with 3rd and 4th in big bands, so I don't have to play anything shallower than a 3C.

However that doesn't help you, since you are doubling brass band solo cornet and lead trumpet. I think that the only way to really do it successfully, is to practise equally on both set-ups.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Best wishes

Lou

Louise!
Thanks - never too late to step in! Well, my solution so far - consider it an experiment - is to practice mostly on the trumpet/lead mpc. Weirdly enough this has bosted my endurance quite a lot. from an already good enough level, and, as far as I can judge, not in any way hampered my cornet playing (or maybe I´ve flown under the director´s radar ).
Range, endurance, even sound has gotten better.
But but poor Icarus tried flying towards the sun........
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Louise!

Hi Seymor

Thanks - never too late to step in!

You are very welcome.

Well, my solution so far - consider it an experiment - is to practice mostly on the trumpet/lead mpc. Weirdly enough this has bosted my endurance quite a lot. from an already good enough level, and, as far as I can judge, not in any way hampered my cornet playing (or maybe I´ve flown under the director´s radar ).
Range, endurance, even sound has gotten better.

That is all very good to hear. I believe the reason for this, is that practising on the lead trumpet mouthpiece is encouraging you not to let your lips protrude too far into the cup, and to overall use a more efficient embouchure.

But but poor Icarus tried flying towards the sun........

Very true, but you should be ok, as long as you keep your cornet sound concept in mind when you play cornet after having done your practise on your lead trumpet set-up.

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: