• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns you wish you had never sold...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Horns you wish you had never sold... Reply with quote

I know that most of the time, I am happy to pass on an instrument to others when I know it is a good horn, but when I have other horns I prefer for similar tasks. Many times, my students have been the recipients of great horns I have passed on, and I know where the horns are if I ever need them back. However, there are several I wish I had back or had never sold. I am sure all of us have those kinds of horns, but for me, the list is limited, and very specific, as I would bet it is for many of you. Here is my "short" list.

1. Bach Eb/D 189 model in silver with a 239 bell, large bore. I sold it when I bought my E3L, and while I love my E3L, I would love to have this horn back for orchestral use. If there is one area that the E3L doesn't always shine, it is in an orchestral. I loved this horn but sold it because I needed the money more than the horn (so I thought). I look back on this horn as the one I most regret selling in my life of horn purchases and sales.

2. Bach large bore 25 bell Bb. One of my students has this horn, and I doubt he ever parts with the instrument. Add to the fact that the horn was a superb instrument, great focused sound, and wonderful tone quality, and it is easy to see why he bought it. One of those rare instruments I've played where I didn't care for it at the time as much as I did later, and that was likely why I sold it. Playing it later (once it was his) made me regret selling it, but glad that he got it!

3. Bach large bore 72 bell Bb with a reversed leadpipe. Great trumpet with an incredibly colorful tone. I had three large bore 72 bell Bbs I bought at the same time, and kept the one I play now. The sterling bell horn went to a student who still plays it, and I traded this one to a guy for a 239 C trumpet. I immediately regretted letting it get away, but the fellow wouldn't trade back (though he wanted the C trumpet back and paid more than he should have to get it back from me). I wish I had held onto this horn and experimented with a little more resistance in the leadpipe, because the bell on this horn (and it's resulting tone), was special.

There is my list of three...what are the ones you've sold that you wish you had back?

Looking forward to your replies!

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Horns Doc wished he still had Reply with quote

When Doc Severinsen moved to Mexico several years ago, he hired a charter jet to fly "south of the border" and left Santa Ynez with a single trumpet, his Destino (at the time). Having sent his entire (sans six) to a fellow in Florida for safe keeping and future borrowing back, he shipped via truck the six horns and the household items he and his wife wanted. The six trumpets never made it across the border one of which was the Getzen he kept all those years as shown on the "Great Arrival" album cover. I would guess he wished he had kept those six.

Tony Scodwell

www.scodwellusa.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know...

My 1976 Benge 5X #20800 is probably the best candidate for regret.

According to Joe Lil's registry, it is the earliest 5X with a bell number stamp in the bell brand stamp.

It still stands as the most wonderful trumpet I've had in my hands, in a strictly mechanical sense. This was the result of a total refit by Kanstul of the slides and valves. I wish all of my instruments had valves that felt like those did after being rebuilt.

I have the most great memories attached to that horn. High school band victories; the beginning of Shofar; the look on my friend's face when he played it for the first time, after his own CG Benge with the crumpled bell finally fell apart; the experiments with Byron Autrey's harmonic balancers and NOS .468" valve slides; the way Zig Kanstul cared for that trumpet seemingly with all his heart...

Then, I remember how it never got compliments on its tone. I remember how it just didn't want to start a note unless I gave it a "kick in the butt" articulation. Soft playing was pretty much not in its repertoire. I remember how my passion for it began to wane after playing a Chicago Benge, a certain X-Model and my first Wild Thing. In the end, memories weren't enough to justify hanging on to it through our move to Arizona.

But, still, they ARE good memories.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a general rule that everyone regrets selling every trumpet they sold. Maybe its better to ask if there are any horns you don't regret selling.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
I thought it was a general rule that everyone regrets selling every trumpet they sold. Maybe its better to ask if there are any horns you don't regret selling.

For me, the list of NO REGRETS is huge. Most every horn I part with I do so knowing full well I will never see again, and I am ok with that.

Of course, others may differ, but if I regretted selling every horn I sold, I'd have no room in my house and too many trumpets. 50-some is enough....

Last edited by dr_trumpet on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler C7 .468 bore
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Lawler C7 .468 bore

Love to hear more...
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't sell it, but September 1965's Hurricane Betsy destroyed my early 50s Los Angeles Olds Mendez a couple of days before my 14th Birthday. I barely remember how it played, but it was my first trumpet and my Dad bought it from a local pawn shop (just in case I didn't keep playing, I guess) when I was 10 years old. It was almost all raw brass (before that was fashionable) and not shiny and new smelling like all the Student horns that all of my peers were playing, but it was "real" trumpet according to my first band director. I always thought that it gave me a "leg up" on all of my friends, and everyone envied the triggers, a real extra "cool" factor. I was proud to have experienced it in those few short years that I did. Still want one!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke B1, ‘75 Benge CG (whichI bought new and gave to a relative... who sold it), Getzen Severinsen.

Brad
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those Colin designed Max trumpets. Not the pocket, but the full sized Bb horn. I've never even seen another one for sale.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge 3MLP late 70's

Blackburn Bb, 19 leadpipe, ambronze bell.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collection is relatively small. I have never sold any. I did donate my starter cornet to a deserving student, but I don’t regret it.

Edit: I just remembered my parents purchased a Bach Mercedes II that was horrible. We, they, sold it.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Lawler horns I had.

1. Lawler TL6L-1 matt laquer with STS and SLS oppions and two more bells.
2. Lawler Star-1A matt laquer model.
3. Lawler TL5-1A silver , the first of the new generation TL5-1A line that Roy made back in 2015 with unique features like French bead , gold wash bell and trim , heat treatment bell.
All medium large bore.

All the horns are in hands of friends and students but I wish I had them all to my collection

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs

Last edited by giakara on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't sold any, need the ones I've got (or did when I was playing more), but one I wish I had bought and didn't was a Blackburn Eb that was simply incredible.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin/Akright Mic Gillette monster horn. .470 bore, 6" bell, 3d valve trigger. Big, warm, open sound and feel (though it could really light up when needed). Sold it in '07 to pay the rent, and have regretted it since, as they only made 36 of them. [/img]
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 28B Constellation I bought in 1952 and sold in 1965 when I stopped playing. I loved that horn and kicked my rear end for selling it when I made a comeback in 2016.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my Getzen 3051 Bb trumpet. Gorgeous, warm sound.

If I ever decide to get back into orchestral playing I will miss my Shires 6F Eb/D trumpet. Big, big sound, but still let you play with a light touch.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought and sold quite a few very nice horns, but the only one I really regret is was a Selmer K-Modified 24B I got off craigslist for $200. It had original lacquer and was in perfect playing condition. Man that horn could sing.

Sold it for $500 on eBay a few years ago.

johnlakejazz.com
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first trumpet. It was a Selmer radial model 99. Great horn, but it took a lot of work to play well. Our first axe can hold a lot of personal significance...

Good news is I bought it back a couple of years later. Still have it to this day, and no, it is NOT for sale!

cheers

Andy
Joel Payne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1953 Chicago Benge. Purchased in 1967 when I was 15, stolen my sophomore year at KU. Still haven't found another Bb that plays as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: