• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpets (or cornets / flugel) you are thankful you did sell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Trumpets (or cornets / flugel) you are thankful you did sell Reply with quote

I have a vanishingly small number of horns I am happy to have moved on. Hopefully the new owners like them!

1. B&H Sovereign Flugel. Man, what a dog. Poor intonation, closed off on top of the stave. It's only good feature were wonderful valves and a nice middle register sound.

2. Yamaha 9335 and Yamaha 9345 Bb's. Owned one after the other and I should have learned the first time. Originally both played wonderfully, eventually, they lacked any projection and I spent all my time being told I wasn't playing and being heard... It became clear when after blowing my t**s off in a Carmen Suite, using cornet got me the hand of Shhhh!

3. Schilke E3L. It simply had poor intonation. That used a B bell on the Eb side and a Bach 229 in D only made it worse. the original bells were pretty so-so pitch-wise as well. The result was years of struggling and hours on hours of work to make things sound acceptable. Oh, the time I could have put to better practice!

4. Bach C. With numerous bells, lead pipes, tuning slides, etc. I never got on with it. Replacing it with a Kanstul / Besson C and selling it was the best thing I ever did...

cheers

Andy

p.s. Not one was sold to a TH member!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Mercedes II back in the ‘70s. It was flat with the slide all the way in. Some notes worse than others.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, thinking about it, not too many regrets on what I've sold...

Zenith (my first trumpet).....happiest day of my life when I didn't have to play that anymore! An absolute dog of an instrument

Olds Studio - (the one with STUDIO on the side of the bell, nickel plated). Was a nice horn, very even throughout the registers, but a bit too much of a one-dimensional sound for me.

Olds Super - amazing horn in many ways, but just didn't have anywhere to play it where it fitted for me....did like playing it at home though, such a full sound..also, not good for someone with big hands, always struggled to find a way to hold it properly.

Yamaha 732 - a beautiful sounding horn, very versatile, but I just couldn't get on with the M bore (my problem, not the horn). Sold it to a student who sounds fabulous on it, and loves it.

Weril Regium II Flugel - a great horn for the money, but when I had a chance to get a Kanstul 1525, well....also a little bit of a tromboney-sounding flugel.

I think it helps with the regret thing that the $$ I got from these were "re-invested" into my current horns, so if I ever do feel a pang, I look at what I've got now and feel OK about it.

Of my current crop, I can imagine selling the Kanstul 700, and the Getzen Capri cornet, but the others are all keepers I think.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge 5X - Selling it released me from the fantasy that it played well enough to stay with my WT.

Kanstul 1025 - Fantastic flugelhorn replaced by a fantastic-er WT flugelhorn

Wild Thing flugelhorn - Went to my friend 1957Tim. He's happy. I'm happy he's happy. I got the raw copper WT flugelhorn. I'm happy.

Original spec WT - eehhhh..., While I'm not happy that I let this one go, I did get another, new-spec WT that suits me better.

Schilke X4 - This one went to a pastor in New Jersey. Great horn that I wasn't attached to, so it's all good. The X4 is a rare and great trumpet, IMO.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy I sell as many as possible
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only horn I've ever had that I didn't totally regret selling was my Schilke B6. I raved about that horn for a long time - it was a neat horn, had a great sound, and I did a lot of gigs on it in the 10 years that I played it, but ultimately I always had accuracy issues on it. I bought a Jupiter 1600i and haven't really looked back.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy I sold all of my dark sounding horns:

Selmer Radial
6310Z
8310Z
Franz Straub SLAX
Conn Connstellation
B&S MBX
Martin (not a Committee but a cheaper on, forgot the name)
Miraphone Premium Rotary

Finally, after purchasing all of this instruments I realized that dark sounding horns are NOT my cup of tea
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Getzen flugel that I could never get a satisfying sound on. Not really sorry to have moved on from it.

Think I still have a stencil cornet that I probably won't regret parting with when I get around to doing so.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpets (or cornets / flugel) you are thankful you did Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I have a vanishingly small number of horns I am happy to have moved on. Hopefully the new owners like them!

1. B&H Sovereign Flugel. Man, what a dog. Poor intonation, closed off on top of the stave. It's only good feature were wonderful valves and a nice middle register sound.

2. Yamaha 9335 and Yamaha 9345 Bb's. Owned one after the other and I should have learned the first time. Originally both played wonderfully, eventually, they lacked any projection and I spent all my time being told I wasn't playing and being heard... It became clear when after blowing my t**s off in a Carmen Suite, using cornet got me the hand of Shhhh!

3. Schilke E3L. It simply had poor intonation. That used a B bell on the Eb side and a Bach 229 in D only made it worse. the original bells were pretty so-so pitch-wise as well. The result was years of struggling and hours on hours of work to make things sound acceptable. Oh, the time I could have put to better practice!

4. Bach C. With numerous bells, lead pipes, tuning slides, etc. I never got on with it. Replacing it with a Kanstul / Besson C and selling it was the best thing I ever did...

cheers

Andy

p.s. Not one was sold to a TH member!

My mint condition Bach LT190S 1B Commercial! Tried a year to master it but no. Poor me. But I sold it to a man who almost reached Nirvana playing it. Lucky him.
No regrets what so ever.
Next horn maybe a Hub van Laar B5. And additional lessons....

Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A silver plated Van Laar Chuck Findley, nice blow but I did like the sound.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1st Generation Brushed Gold Getzen Genesis.

An absolutely beautiful horn with all the trimmings, but after owning it for over a year, it just didn't have what I needed in sound or flexibility. I sold it to a fellow TH member in almost new condition at a huge loss.

Subsequently picked up a Cannonball 789RL Bavarian Lion that has since negated all the issues experienced with the Getzen.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1955 Mt. Vernon Bach Strad, ML 43. It didn't play any better than my '76 Bach ML 43 (both played great, though), so I sold it. Bought a good cornet for brass band and put the rest of the money into my daughter's college fund.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: