• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I invest in a new instrument?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj1234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Should I invest in a new instrument? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question...

I am interested in purchasing a new instrument but I don't know whether I should. I am currently a college student; and I study engineering, not music.

I have been playing for about 10 years, sine I was around 8 or 9. For as long as I have been playing, I have been using the same instrument: it's a student-level Yamaha 2320, with the very moderate amount of damage that I guess is common. I also use the standard Yamaha 7C equivalent.

Though I don't study music, I am quite involved in various music related activities: including marching and pep band as well as a classical ensemble, which is my preferred setting for playing (I will be trying to join other ensembles as time permits). Last year, I was assigned first chair in all of these ensembles. I do try to practice as much as possible (I do the work my teacher assigns me from things like the Arban's or things like Brandt).

I have been saving up in the interest of buying a professional grade instrument and I am willing to spend a decent amount.

The problem is that I m not entirely sure I should. To be honest, I am more than pleased with the quality sound I am able to get from my instrument. I did notice throughout high school, where I played in the top ensembles, that I could consistently play with better tone and technique than other students who had invested in higher quality equipment (including some who would go on to become music majors). I recently asked my private teacher whether she thought I should invest in a better quality instrument. She said I should definitely consider it, saying I was ready to make the investment, and recommended that I inquire at local stores; but she also said she was quite pleased with the quality of my playing as it is. Obviously, I haven't been able to keep making the same amount of progress in my playing since I started college.

As a side note, if I do invest in an instrument, I'd be most interested in something that is more oriented towards classical playing.

I guess I just want a second opinion.

Thank you in advance.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Chicago, I'm sure there are stores where you may try out trumpets, then you can see what it means to you.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss it in your text or do you have a budget?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't hurt to try a few and see what you like and dislike.

Typically...
Student instruments are built down to a price, and you might reasonably expect this to show - whether it's in build quality, QC or R&D.

That being said, if the instrument suits you and doesn't present a handicap (poor intonation that needs lipping around, in particular) then there's nothing wrong with just using it.

There's good reasons that you'll find very few serious/pro players using student instruments for their main horns (mostly it's because 99 times out of 100, a good pro horn makes things easier, better intonation needs less manipulation, better slotting up high makes life easier and that register more reliable, etc).
That being said, you'll meet some who have student horns for backup or for horns they simply don't need to use very much (you might tolerate having to work a little harder on a horn you only use occasionally, your daily driver not so much).
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should (it WILL make a difference) ... and follow the guidance of your private teacher-he/she knows your playing better than anyone, and what kind of direction you're going in; whether you look for a "legit" setup or something more "commercial".

Then try as many as you can...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you realize that a higher level instrument will HELP, but not enable you to do things that you can’t do on your Yamaha (GENERALLY; a pro horn will likely help), the suggestion to follow the guidance of your teacher is a good one.

You don’t have to be a music major to reap the benefits of a better horn.

Brad
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great student horn there, but you will find the pro horns are a touch better. I still have mine and occasionally pull it out, but its not quite as facile on getting the notes out compared to my pro horns. The tone is very good but its a slight bit more muffled compared to my pro horns.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say yes - a new pro-level horn can make a big difference. Be selective though and try before you buy.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please. Some day, some poor frustrated former professional player who plays principal in your section will appreciate your investment and not be frustrated in the limitations of a student instrument matching the principal.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
*LukeTrpt*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: New vs used instruments Reply with quote

In my opinion, it is similar to buying a car. I think it never pays to buy a new one as they are overpriced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: