• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marching Band Trumpet Solo Audition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandawee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Marching Band Trumpet Solo Audition Reply with quote

Hello, I have a solo audition for trumpets tomorrow after school for my marching show, and was wondering what tips people might have to help improve my audition, and if I get it, the solo.

Here is the link to the show, with the video beginning precisely at the solo.
https://youtu.be/2JHv3YDysCs?t=3m40s

Thanks in advance.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 tip - don't suck.

Here's the thing - asking a day before the audition for tips that will help probably isn't going to help you much - the last thing you want to be doing is trying to incorporate some idea you'd never really thought of before, all on the fly in the middle of an audition. The best thing you could have done was to make sure you were good and prepared with work done in the weeks prior to tomorrow/today.

Just go in there and do the very best you can. Remember, sound and musicianship are going to win the day over being technically correct. I'd rather hear a missed note or two in music played with passion than to hear a technically correct, yet passionless performance.

As for the solo, you've got a good recording to use as a basis for phrasing, dynamics, etc. Emulate that - don't try to copy it, but definitely listen to it for takeaways such as how the phrases are connected, where to breathe, inflection, dynamics, sound, etc. Use the recording as a guide, but if you decide to make some small changes based on how you want to play it, don't be afraid to go with your gut to make it your own.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentals?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Fundamentals?

It's too late for them to do anything about that if their fundamentals aren't already strong.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be timid. When you play the solo outside, you're going to lose the security of being close to the other trumpets, the sound bouncing back off the wall in front of you, the source of timing (drumline) will be in a different place. The first thing that goes in solo playing is air usage and sound -- take deep breaths and be confident.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the update on this? How did the audition go?
- ACB Doubler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: