• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue arch?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
i put an air accelerator in my mouth to play my quadruple c’s on my brand new as of today tuba mouthpiece for a brilliant trumpet sound

It says Sharkbaitboi. Oh boy! Where´s the shark?

It looks like we're jumping it in this discussion.

Just now?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
i put an air accelerator in my mouth to play my quadruple c’s on my brand new as of today tuba mouthpiece for a brilliant trumpet sound

It says Sharkbaitboi. Oh boy! Where´s the shark?

It looks like we're jumping it in this discussion.

Sorry couldn’t resist. Stay focussed!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fudd fell for the bait so i guess he’s the shark?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The resistance due the instrument AND aperture is the dominant resistance.

scottfsmith wrote:
Why is the resistance of instrument and aperture the dominant resistance? I think we can factor out the resistance of the instrument as tongue arch applies just as well to mouthpiece (and arguably free) buzzing.

Kalijah is right, but only when it comes to playing in the low and middle registers. Scott, you are right that in the upper register the resistance shifts more to that created by the arching tongue as evidenced by this:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-YXUMMwbw&list=PLAPAmatRbPqhTeJ2sT5gJaLR7WBkl4Ut_

kalijah wrote:
In due time I will address John's questions. And Mohan's confusion.

Stunning. But amusing!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The area that our mechanical force acts upon is a fixed area for each person. That is, the lung area that is subject to the exhalation muscles. You can not arbitrarily claim that you are using the same mechanical force but on a smaller area because you are not.

As blunt as this will sound, you are wrong about the above. And I think your mistaken belief illustrated above is the foundation of your misinformed point of view on this entire subject.

Every competent brass player (including you and me), whether they realize it or not, most certainly can vary how much of the lip receives the force of the air stream. When the tongue is down low and the jaw is lowered, the air pressure is acting on the entire cross section of the lips. On a low or middle range note when this is happening, the main thing that causes one part of the lips to vibrate but not the rest, is the rim of the mouthpiece. But when one arches the tongue up and forward to play a high note, the airstream is reduced to an extremely narrow jet and that jet of air only hits a tiny area of the lips. Take a look at this part of the Sarah Willis video to see this clearly being demonstrated:

https://youtu.be/MWcOwgWsPHA?t=110

This is obvious to any reasonable person. I'm not sure why it isn't clear to you. Maybe you've watched the video again, and given this some more thought and it is clear to you now. I hope so.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The area that our mechanical force acts upon is a fixed area for each person. That is, the lung area that is subject to the exhalation muscles. You can not arbitrarily claim that you are using the same mechanical force but on a smaller area because you are not.

You are not really correct when you claim that the "lung area" the mechanical force acts upon is a "fixed area" because that surface area does actually vary in size - it deceases in size as we empty of air. But this fact is superfluous to the discussion. But what is not superfluous to this discussion is how that blowing force acts upon a varying sized area of the lips depending upon the amount of tongue arch applied. And I think your misunderstanding of that fact is the foundation of your misinformed point of view on this entire subject.

Every competent brass player (including you and me), whether they realize it or not, most certainly can vary how much of the lip receives the force of the air stream. When the tongue is down low and the jaw is lowered, the air pressure is acting on the entire cross section of the lips. On a low or middle range note when this is happening, the main thing that causes one part of the lips to vibrate but not the rest, is the rim of the mouthpiece and to some extent, the muscles at the corners of the lips. But when one arches the tongue up and forward to play a high note, the airstream is reduced to an extremely narrow jet and that jet of air only hits a tiny area of the lips. Take a look at this part of the Sarah Willis video to see this clearly being demonstrated:

https://youtu.be/MWcOwgWsPHA?t=110

In the extreme upper register, the corner muscles don't necessarily even need to make the seal they provide in the low and mid registers where the tongue arch is not as significant. There are players who when playing a double high C have such relaxed corners that the sides of their teeth can be seen through their (open) corners while playing that double high C. No air escapes through these players' corner openings because the up and forward arching tongue is also pressing against the inside edges of the upper molars creating a thin channel for the airstream, preventing the air stream from acting against the corners of the mouth - the air is focused on a tine portion of the lips under the mouthpiece cup (and area far smaller than the diameter of the mouthpiece cup).

https://i.postimg.cc/XJFb5wQQ/Sarah_Willis_Playing_in_the_Low_Register.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nrgBWfvH/Sarah_Willis_Playing_in_the_Middle_Register.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y2s60YTJ/Sarah_Willis_Playing_in_the_High_Register.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/15Vpq4Q4/Sarah_Willis_Playing_in_the_Extreme_High_Register.jpg

The role of the tongue arch is clear to any reasonable person once it is explained and demonstrated to him or her. I'm not sure why it isn't clear to you. Maybe you've watched the video again, and given this some more thought and it is clear to you now. I hope so.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The tongue moves in conjunction with certain embouchure muscle involvement. It is related to the primary functions of the mouth and lips which is eating, and is related to the rejection of unwanted material from the tract such as seeds or other objectionable debris.

It is very unnatural for us to make a small aperture using the inner corners without the coordinated forward tongue movement.

Darryl, you've often made similar claims to the above, sharing your opinion that the tongue is only moving in reaction to changes in the facial and lip muscles, and movements of the lower jaw.

And yet, here is a video of Sarah Willis ascending to the extreme upper register and the only thing changing is her tongue arching more and more. Her lower jaw has already reached a high position and is no longer moving upward (as it did when going from the lower range to the middle-upper range). There is no more motion or change to be seen in her lip formation. Only her tongue continues to arch to an extreme up and forward position, creating an extremely thin channel for the air to move through - a channel that looks to me to be less than 1 mm in diameter.

https://youtu.be/MWcOwgWsPHA?t=118

Okay, it's a dead horse and I'm done beating it.

Last but certainly not least: Shout out to Sarah Willis!!! That highest note she plays in these recordings is the harmonic equivalent to our Double High C. And she's playing it while lying on her back in an MRI machine. She rocks!!!

Last edited by John Mohan on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures of Sara's tongue in each of the registers puts the issue beyond any doubt in my opinion.

How any reasonable person would try and argue against this evidence makes the mind boggle !!

Cheers
EricV
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
kalijah wrote:
The resistance due the instrument AND aperture is the dominant resistance.

scottfsmith wrote:
Why is the resistance of instrument and aperture the dominant resistance? I think we can factor out the resistance of the instrument as tongue arch applies just as well to mouthpiece (and arguably free) buzzing.

Kalijah is right, but only when it comes to playing in the low and middle registers. Scott, you are right that in the upper register the resistance shifts more to that created by the arching tongue as evidenced by this:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-YXUMMwbw&list=PLAPAmatRbPqhTeJ2sT5gJaLR7WBkl4Ut_

kalijah wrote:
In due time I will address John's questions. And Mohan's confusion.

Stunning. But amusing!

Why would anyone want to do this. There are much more pleasurable ways to cause a stroke🎺🤪
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 pages.....halfway there.....
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
It also appears you have already made up your mind.

Huh?? Of course not.

Quote:
And, I did not say that the tongue does not have to move up to ascend. I have yet to be convinced of any causative effect.

Hey we agree on something. The difference is you are betting there is no underlying physics and I am betting there is.

The root problem as I mentioned above is these systems are very complex and it could well be there is some other variable or aspect which is the key which is not being taken into consideration.

Here is an example of another dimension which we have not yet considered. If the air is going from a wide mouth cavity immediately to the lips, the air flow will be less uniform and more turbulent. If on the other hand it is going through a narrow channel first (the arched tongue) it will be more uniform ("laminar" is the physics word I believe). Even if they have the same pressures, the turbulent flow could be less efficient at moving the lips compared to the uniform flow.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51recording wrote:
3 pages.....halfway there.....

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:

Link

Why would anyone want to do this. There are much more pleasurable ways to cause a stroke🎺🤪

Because we are trumpet players. I know. It's sad.

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
The root problem as I mentioned above is these systems are very complex...

Yes! Which reminds me of something my teacher wrote. From Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing:

https://i.postimg.cc/C1HxdmbH/BPINHTDB_Page_09_TOO_MUCH_THEORY.jpg

I imagine Claude would be a bit amused at some of the manifestos being written here (including some of mine). And he'd also be frustrated how trumpet players continue to waste good practice time arguing (again, guilty).

When I teach I follow the successful method he used. I describe to the student the general way we blow, arch our tongues and manipulate our embouchures as we play. Then I tell my students to pay attention to what his or her tongue, air and lips do as he or she practices the various flexibility, technical and range exercises I assign. There is nothing magical about the upper register. If we are practicing and playing correctly, getting to the higher notes simply requires that we continue to do more of the same.

When a student of mine is practicing a flexibility exercise that starts down low and ascends up through the harmonic series I tell that student to "learn through extrapolation" - pay attention to what you are doing as you ascend. Pay attention to how you blow stronger, your tongue arches, and pay attention to whatever you are doing with your lips (this is a very personal part of it - some people seem to pooch their lips out a little as they ascend, some seem to roll their lips inward, others feel they just hold their lips in the same position as the air power gets stronger as they ascend). Learn by extrapolation, because whatever you do to slur from a middle C to a high C, you just need to do more of that to slur from the high C to the double high C (with the caveat that the physical strength required to continue ascending must first be developed - and said strength cannot be developed by arguing on this forum). It can only be developed by proper, routine practice of the correct exercises.

As my teacher often said, "We learn to play by feel, not by theory."

Okay everybody, my moment of sanity is over.

Cheers,

John
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:

Link

But its not even necessary. I can believe there is plenty of people who want the notes, I’m one. But why do they not copy the guys who dont their lives at risk getting there?? And why does everyone argue their point instead of getting to the bottom of these questions. After all this time blowing into a brass tube very few methods are settled. Is it because we guard the secrets or we just don’t really know or are we just a cantekerous bunch who won’t share?
Rod
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rod,

I don't think Lynn Nicholson is risking his life, at least not to a significant (measurable) level. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't generate levels of thoracic air pressure that are above the level of venous pressure when playing loud notes above the staff (which is what causes players to turn red when playing those notes). The red color is just more apparent on those with a pale complexion, including players such as Lynn Nicholson and Adolph Herseth, who himself lived to almost 92, still performing (and turning red) with the CSO into his 80's.

Cheers,

John
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Hi Rod,

I don't think Lynn Nicholson is risking his life, at least not to a significant (measurable) level. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't generate levels of thoracic air pressure that are above the level of venous pressure when playing loud notes above the staff (which is what causes players to turn red when playing those notes). The red color is just more apparent on those with a pale complexion, including players such as Lynn Nicholson and Adolph Herseth, who himself lived to almost 92, still performing (and turning red) with the CSO into his 80's.

Cheers,

John

John
This is caused by playing extreme volume and not by sounding pitch, which seems to be forgotten. This is also caused to a great degree by tension. I cant understand why anyone wants to force more air thru the horn than it can possibly take. You can generate more air thru lung power than the horn can take without backing up.

It seems to me that if we want to get to the bottom of any subject it is best approached with the idea that the other person may know something that has value and understanding that point may be important to a solution. I just don’t see that here, and it is a shame that with all the knowledge here and a common goal, that we still can’t agree or work together well. This could be so much more, but like all blogs.......
Rod
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Rod,

Yes, extreme volume does require more air pressure, but so does extreme range. Studies have shown that each octave climb at a given volume level requires a doubling of supplied air pressure. And of course, the highest levels of air pressure are used when we play our loudest full volume high note (loud and high). Above that note (usually around an F or G for most pro-level players), we can play higher, but even though we are blowing as hard as we can, the notes get substantially softer very quickly because we are basically trading volume of sound for higher notes. One could say, when one is playing a squeaky note that is a couple of steps beyond their highest full volume note, their ego is writing checks their body can't cash.

I totally get what you are saying regarding overblowing the horn. A particular study (Blowing pressure, power, and spectrum in trumpet playing Fletcher etal 1999) concluded much the same. Blowing pressures were measured with various trumpet players as they played and compared with both the volume and register of the note. It was found that on a particular note, the relationship between air pressure and the volume of that note was fairly linear - until a certain "saturation" volume was reached, and then, even if the player doubled the air pressure the note barely got any louder. Note that this pertained to notes in the low to middle upper register. The extreme register (where most have to blow nearly as hard if not as hard as they can just to get a note of reasonably full volume) was not measured in the study.

In less academic and more real-world terms, my friend Wayne Bergeron once related to me something George Graham had shared with him. George pointed out to Wayne that one could play a High C, blowing with all his might, and then back off to about an 80% level of effort and still get 99% of the volume on the note. This was a key lesson in obtaining stamina and endurance on the horn - learning to habitually blow at no more than the 80% level and still getting a good, efficient, loud note.

Best wishes,

John

P.S. Here is the introductory abstract from that study:

Quote:
Measurements of sound output as a function of blowing pressure are reported for a group of experienced trumpet players. The study identifies several common features, namely ~1! a threshold blowing pressure approximately proportional to the frequency of the note being played, ~2! an extended region in which the sound output rises by about 15 dB for each doubling of blowing pressure, and ~3! a saturation region in which sound output rises by only about 3 dB for a doubling of blowing pressure. Some players are able to blow with maximum pressures as high as 25 kPa, which is significantly greater than normal systolic blood pressure. A simple theory is presented that provides a physical explanation for the acoustical behavior, but a detailed treatment requires solution of the nonlinear coupled equations both for the lip-valve mechanism and for nonlinear wave propagation in the instrument tube. Frequency analysis of the sound shows a basic spectral envelope determined by the resonance properties of the mouthpiece cup and the radiation behavior of the bell, supplemented by an extension to increasingly high frequencies as the blowing pressure is increased. This high-frequency behavior can be attributed to nonlinear wavefront steepening during sound propagation along the cylindrical bore of the instrument. © 1999 Acoustical Society of America.
@S0001-4966~99!02102-5#

P.P.S. And here is a paragraph from the study which I think is particularly interesting:

Quote:
Physiological measurements by Fiz et al.(6) on the maximum expiratory pressure that can be achieved by trumpet players—not while playing the trumpet, or indeed while actually expelling air—yielded a value of 23 (+ or - 5) kPa, in confirmation of the general level of this result, while they found that similarly fit young men who did not play any brass instrument were able to achieve expiratory pressures of only 19 (+ or - 1) kPa. Presumably muscle training accounts for this difference.

I know of other studies that have measured blowing pressures above 30 kPa in some players - levels that are more than 50% greater than that of typical fit young men.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:

Link

But its not even necessary.

Rod,

Do you know who Lynn Nichols is? I may not be completely down with the method espouses, but Lynn is force to be reconned with and he has had remarkable success in the upper register. I'd be loathe to tell him he doing it wrong or that his exertion is unnecessary.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to jump in on the assertion that going red is a sign of playing high notes 'incorrectly' I thought I'd just make a list of some British Pros who definitely 'go red' when playing and are some of the finest players I have ever heard/played with or studied under, please do take the liberty of watching them on youtube as they are all stunning players:

-Maurice Murphy (former Principal LSO)
-Paul Beniston (Principal LPO and a truly phenomenal player)
-Philip Cobb (Principal LSO, mighty might player)
-James Fountain (Principal RPO)
-Jason Evans (Principal Philharmonia)
-Simon Gardner
-Mike Lovatt
-Louis Dowdeswell
-Andy Greenwood
-Ryan Quigley

The list could go on forever, but can you really suggest that those players above are all playing in some deeply flawed manner?

I hope that can help to dispel the notion of going red=playing incorrectly.

All the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: