• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hardest solo with orchestra and why

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twestervelt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Hardest solo with orchestra and why Reply with quote

For me, it has been the Hummel. The performer is so... vulnerable. Also, it's a tough piece - many think it's easy because it's on a lot of solo lists for regional and state bands, but it is extremely hard to do well.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern pieces like the Tomasi. Please don't flame me for saying this, but I find that kind of music to be completely uninteresting, so it is difficult to put myself into it and play it musically.

I believe that technical or exposed pieces aren't the most truly challenging pieces of music. The most truly challenging pieces are those that actually challenge our sense of musicality.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
twestervelt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Modern pieces like the Tomasi. Please don't flame me for saying this, but I find that kind of music to be completely uninteresting, so it is difficult to put myself into it and play it musically.

I believe that technical or exposed pieces aren't the most truly challenging pieces of music. The most truly challenging pieces are those that actually challenge our sense of musicality.

Ya, pieces like the Tomasi are indeed very, very difficult. The only response that I would have to your post is that - for me - my musicality has been at least as challenged by the Hummel as pieces such as the Tomasi or the Persichetti.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My warm up is Brandenburg 2. I use a Bach 1 on Bb trumpet for it. I like the big sound.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel. Gets me every time. Although, warming up every day on Sequenza X for the past year has definitely benefited my chops.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
My warm up is Brandenburg 2. I use a Bach 1 on Bb trumpet for it. I like the big sound.

Wimp.
twestervelt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

Wimp.

Not a warm-up, but since I could be called on to play it at almost anytime, I did use that as one of my touchpoints on many/most days, depending on what I was preparing for with other stuff.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That album where Hardenberger plays Eotvos - Jet Stream, Aeriel - Trumpet Concerto, and Turnage - From The Wreckage... yeah, that's all pretty difficult.
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Widmann "Ad Absurdum".
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most difficult thing I've played isn't a solo with an orchestra. It's a jazz chart entitled "Rhamphorhynchus" by Dr. Randall Snyder. Here's a link to the score of the 2001 revised version:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=musicsnyder

The revised version is a simplified version. The original version, written in 1975, which was the one I played, was significantly more difficult than the revised version. In fact, when I spoke to Dr. Snyder about the difficulty of the original version his response was that his intent was to get the sound of the trumpets "trying" to play the complex sections rather than getting the sound of the trumpets playing the complex sections accurately note for note. He didn't expect anyone to play those sections accurately note for note. He wanted an "effect."

If you can play this accurately note for note or, for that matter, even understand it, you're ready for anything. Have fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: