• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing with Aortic Aneurysm

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I have a caution for you.

Good luck, I thank GOD everyday that he made it all work out. So many things worked out I just figure he wanted me playing trumpet again, and I’m gonna make him happy!

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad that you are doing well. I've read about endovascular stent trials on ascending aortic aneurysms and their success. I am not at that point yet and luckily my heart is in good shape for a soon to be 63 year old. I don't smoke am in fairly good shape so hoping I can keep it in check with keeping my BP low. Best wishes to you.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malden wrote:
Quote:

Update.. I've had my follow up and a 2nd opinion and the go forward is to manage through controlling BP with a new CTA scan in 6 months. Restrictions are moderate exercise, no lifting objects over 30 lbs and I am cleared to play but I am taking it very lightly for now.

The doctors confirmed that you have TAA (Thoracic Aortic Aneurism)? The CTA in six months will be key for you, because the doctors need to know how fast the aneurism is growing. I found the first six months, waiting for the second CTA to be the most trying. I just took my meds, followed the doctor's advice and took it easy.

Regarding exercise restrictions, just remember that any activity that gets your heart pounding and raises your BP has to be avoided. I am a hobbyist gardener and I have over a hundred fruit trees around my home. I loved digging holes in the earth and planting trees, until one day I nearly passed out from doing so and I realized I was breaking doctor's orders seriously. So be careful.

The leading authority on TAA from Yale University describes the disease as "having a time bomb in your chest." So be careful, prepare and live for the day. Spontaneous ruptures at the 4.5 or 4.7 level occur in only 2% of cases. But they can occur. I carry a full set of instructions with me every day for an ER team that explains that I have TAA and if I display symptoms of a heart attack and lose consciousness it is TAA and they should contact my doctor immediately.

What did the doctors actually say about trumpet playing?

Lets us know how the CTA #2 goes and be well!

Malden,

Thanks for your comments and experiences.

I actually have an AAA. Comments on trumpet playing were it was OK. I am taking it very easy until my 6 month CTA scan. Learning to play relaxed and let the equipment do the work!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
I have a caution for you.

Good luck, I thank GOD everyday that he made it all work out. So many things worked out I just figure he wanted me playing trumpet again, and I’m gonna make him happy!

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad that you are doing well. I've read about endovascular stent trials on ascending aortic aneurysms and their success. I am not at that point yet and luckily my heart is in good shape for a soon to be 63 year old. I don't smoke am in fairly good shape so hoping I can keep it in check with keeping my BP low. Best wishes to you.

When I started back I pursued a course of study to try and play as efficiently as possible so as to avoid any undetected weak spots, and yes if you have one you are more likely to have other weak spots. After a lot of research and trial and error I settled on Greg Spense and Mystery to Mastery and have had a lot of success in finding a way to accomplish this. They have a free trial and it’s much cheaper than the private lessons I take. It is focused entirely on learning to play efficiently and is quite good at leading you to discover things as you progress that lead you to further improvement. It isn’t a technical course, it’s about making good sound as easily as you can. I take lessons for technical improvement and this teacher is constantly impressed in my improvements along those line and is looking into the program himself.
It’s helping me
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: