• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Cheater" Mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: "Cheater" Mouthpiece Reply with quote

In my high school marching band, everyone uses either a 3c or 1.5c mouthpiece. I however use a system blue, upon the first day of band camp, the clinician that was working with the trumpets said he was "glad to see no one was using a cheater mouthpiece" until he saw mine and winced.

That was 2 months ago, and even now I feel guilty that I use it, hence is why I used to switch to a 1.5c every now then, which I stopped doing because of different issues.

So I would like to know opinions on different mouthpiece. Is it wrong that I'm using a "cheater" mouthpiece while everyone uses a different kind?

And personally I would like to know if it is bad to develop my chops on a mouthpiece where it is easier to hit high notes as opposed to a mouthpiece where it takes more effort to hit a high note. Should I practice on a different mouthpiece for fundamentals or should I stick to what I prefer to use?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a cheater. IMO having average high school players use a 1.5C is something that would make me wince.

Bottom line; Is your sound acceptable?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with what works best for you and don't feel guilty about it.

The term "cheater" mouthpiece is a slang term for a mouthpiece with a small and shallow cup. The concept is that this type of mouthpiece automatically makes it easier to play in the high register because it gives the player a mechanical advantage to produce high notes. Thus, the concept that the player is "cheating" in that the player is producing high notes because of this mechanical advantage rather than because of a developed embouchure and proper technique.

It's all hogwash. Ease of playing high notes is primarily a function of a developed embouchure and proper technique. A certain mouthpiece makes it easier to play high notes only to the extent that the mouthpiece compliments your physiology, embouchure and technique to make that happen. Some players have great difficulty producing high notes on "cheater" mouthpieces and do much better on larger mouthpieces.

There are no shortcuts to developing high range. In particular, there are no magic mouthpieces that "automatically" give you high range. High range is developed with correct fundamentals and correct practice on equipment that compliments your physiology, embouchure and technique.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Blue offers two different mouthpieces. One with a medium shallow cup and one with a medium deep v-cup. I'm seeing no additional information about cup ID or alpha angle. If the medium-shallow isn't so shallow that it's impractical for general playing then I wouldn't characterize it as a cheater.

Any piece characterized as medium deep v-cup is not likely anybody's idea of a cheater.

FWIW I also don't subscribe to the concept of a cheater, per se. I do however take issue when players play specialized gear, typically lead pieces, in situations where their resulting tone is not appropriate.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing one of the other key elements is a more open throat on the mouthpiece to aid in getting more air into the horn. Definitely a plus when playing outside in a marching situation.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the mpc fit your chops? Can you get a good sound with it and blend well with the section? If yes, then keep using it.
Piccolo Stomvi
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone playing a kind of 1 1/2C mpc for Hummel or Haydn, is using a cheater mpc. He should play these concerti with a kind of 6A4a
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheater" Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:
In my high school marching band, everyone uses either a 3c or 1.5c mouthpiece. I however use a system blue, upon the first day of band camp, the clinician that was working with the trumpets said he was "glad to see no one was using a cheater mouthpiece" until he saw mine and winced.

There's no such thing as a cheater mouthpiece. If you get an appropriate sound out of it and it makes the job easier, it's the right mouthpiece. You don't get an award for using equipment that makes you struggle.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you should definitely avoid the schilke 14a4a. It cheats too much because its so good. Wont stay loyal to you
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think there is such a thing as a cheater mouthpiece. If you use a mouthpiece for a specific purpose (ease of playing in the upper register, for example) at the detriment of other aspects of trumpet playing (tone, lower range, etc.), then it's a cheater. If you can use a smaller mouthpiece to facilitate a sound you want and it gives you more endurance above the staff, but you still have a nice tone, good intonation, and low range with it too, then it's not a cheater.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheater" Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:
"glad to see no one was using a cheater mouthpiece" until he saw mine and winced.

Would he have called it a cheater if it looked like a Bach? He likely wouldn't have given it a second thought.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
There is no such thing as a cheater. IMO having average high school players use a 1.5C is something that would make me wince.

Bottom line; Is your sound acceptable?

I winced when I saw that people disapprove of high schoolers using any of the 1 series
ohnecael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheater" Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:

System Blue is literally made for the marching arts. That clinician you had there was pretty bogus imo if he didnt know about system blue. About this whole "Cheater" stuff, there is no such thing as a cheater mouthpiece. If you project well with a good tone in the upper range on the field then so be it. Use the mouthpiece and be a rockstar.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're getting the idea of the "cheater" verbage.. but IMO as much as I would direct you away from say a 14a4a, I would do the same for a 1.5C. Both are on the fringes of size, and in the case of the 14a4a, designed for very mature players that need a very specific thing. The 1.5C is large with a deepish cup-definitely for a mature embouchure striving for a big "orchestral" sound.

My analagy, using myself as an example, as a pretty good golfer, to get exactly the clubs that Tiger Woods played last week and expect them to make golf easier. Well made, well designed equipment that doesn't fit me at all. I might gain in some aspect(s) but overall would not improve my game and would probably make things worse in the short and/or long term.

My suggestion is to find something that fits your face in the mid-size range (Bach size comparison 7C-3C), has some level of comfort, maybe a touch shallower (C-D depth), that helps you produce a good vibrant trumpet sound, and controlable pitch throughout your range. This is where rim shape, cup shape, throat size and flare start affecting the "blow" and where notes slot.

On my list of mouthpieces to look at: Bach 3C, Yamaha 14B4, Curry 3M / 3C, Pickett 3C, Warburton 4MC / 4M, all exellent choices. There are a ton of mouthpiece makers.

The question then becomes, "What's it sound like?" Too shallow becomes edgy and crass and doesn't blend well, while too big/deep loses focus and projection.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, using this logic any trumpet with less than a .470 bore is a "cheater" trumpet. We must ALL switch to a Schilke 24 or be labeled "cheaters."

I am going to continue to use what works for me personally and be labeled a "cheater."

You find what works for YOU as an individual. We do not all wear the same size shoes and we do not all use the same size gear. That simple.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing lead on a Bach 1.5C is easy. I know someone that does it on a 1.25C. The rim either fits your fave or it doesnt. If you need more grip just use sandpaper on the rim
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Playing lead on a Bach 1.5C is easy. I know someone that does it on a 1.25C. The rim either fits your fave or it doesnt. If you need more grip just use sandpaper on the rim

You sure about that? I play on a Pickett 10F top, 29 throat, and C4 backbore. Right sound for lead trumpet in symfonyc orchestra
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, there’s no such thing as a cheater mpce., if there was, I would buy two of them.

That being said: if the guy winced because of how you sound, that’s one thing, if he did that based just on what he saw, that’s another matter.
THAT being said, I personally don’t feel that a developing player should be using an extreme size at EITHER end of the spectrum, not too small and shallow, OR large and deep. If this instructor is of the “bigger is better” mindset, that’s just ridiculous.

JUST as an example, something like a Bach 3C is probably appropriate, but no one here can specifically and accurately recommend a certain mouthpiece without hearing/seeing you play. And I realize you didn’t ask for a specific recommendation.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:

In my opinion, that’s a ridiculous statement. “Easy” for who? If that works for you, cool, but a blanket statement like that is.....see my first sentence.

Brad
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

In my opinion, that’s a ridiculous statement. “Easy” for who? If that works for you, cool, but a blanket statement like that is.....see my first sentence.

Brad

Easy for everyone. Duh! Stop imposing your ideas on me. I like my Schilke 25
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: