• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sluring and slotting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Sluring and slotting Reply with quote

Hi,
I’m wondering. I have bought the Yamaha Silent Brass system and when I’m using that I have discovered that sluring harmonics from fx third space to high e ( c-e-g-c-e) the slotting is very easy.
I have the Yamaha Xeno II and mpc Yamaha 16c4 and the slotting is very good. I’ve just noticed that the slotting is even better when using the mute. And I wonder why??? Is it because of more resistance? Something else?And most important: Should I learn something from this?
All the best from
Norseman
Norseman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody??
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly...

It might be that the added resistance is helping, it might be that you're putting more in (the mute cutting volume off can encourage you to input more).... In both cases, it's possible that playing open lacks some support which makes certain partials wander off pitch (E down, G up) and the mute is masking that a little bit.

There are a fair few possibilities, but if there's a learning point it's that practicing muted too often might be deleterious - all things in moderation.
Norseman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I’m very aware of not jusing using the mute too much. Just using it late at night sometimes 😎
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the added back pressure from overblowing a mute can substitute for proper aperture control with your chops. That's why if you practice with a mute too much (especially if you're overblowing) your chops can get "spread" and your tone and control suffer when you play open.

If you want that same easy flexibility and control in that register then I personally recommend pianissimo practice in the upper range of the horn, which will train you to play with a very focused embouchure. Then you won't need the back pressure of the mute to get up there!

I am not a professional teacher or anything, and I have no idea what your skill level is, so please take the above with a grain of salt, it's just been my experience.

Cheers.
Norseman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle, thank’s for your advice.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
In my experience, the added back pressure from overblowing a mute can substitute for proper aperture control with your chops. That's why if you practice with a mute too much (especially if you're overblowing) your chops can get "spread" and your tone and control suffer when you play open.

If you want that same easy flexibility and control in that register then I personally recommend pianissimo practice in the upper range of the horn, which will train you to play with a very focused embouchure. Then you won't need the back pressure of the mute to get up there!

I am not a professional teacher or anything, and I have no idea what your skill level is, so please take the above with a grain of salt, it's just been my experience.

Cheers.

You can also do soft and low! Both work for getting focused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: